Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 16, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #4,261 of 12,335

atsmile.gif
 just wondering how much does the crack weigh with all the caps you got there 

I would guess caps add about 400 grms extra per side more than the standard build. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #4,262 of 12,335
Hello,

I was directed over here before I went and purchased a Schiit amp as I was told this is the best amp for the hd-650's.
After looking at everything and going back about 17 pages I fell in love with all the builds and personal touches. Wow! I would really like to get a BH Crack, and build it myself, but I have never done any soldering and know most nothing about electronics from the inside. I am just now getting to learn about tubes. My two questions;

1. Could someone like me with no experience actually build one
2. If not, how do I get someone to build one for me or do I need to wait for one on the sale forum?

I really appreciate your time and feedback in advance...
Newbie out.

CJJ

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #4,264 of 12,335
  Hello,

I was directed over here before I went and purchased a Schiit amp as I was told this is the best amp for the hd-650's.
After looking at everything and going back about 17 pages I fell in love with all the builds and personal touches. Wow! I would really like to get a BH Crack, and build it myself, but I have never done any soldering and know most nothing about electronics from the inside. I am just now getting to learn about tubes. My two questions;

2. If not, how do I get someone to build one for me or do I need to wait for one on the sale forum?

Newbie out.

CJJ

I think almost anyone could build one if you follow the directions implicitly. They were very well written and have enough theory and information to get you started. I would recommend a little practice soldering but that is as easy as getting some wires and practice attaching things. At the end, the measurements are the most important part.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #4,266 of 12,335
If you are patient and can carefully follow well written instructions, you can absolutely build a Crack.

In the past, it was possible to have your kit built by sort of a factory-authorized builder. I'm not sure what the current status on that is but I'm sure you can go to the Bottlehead Forum and ask to get a quick answer.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4,267 of 12,335

Painting the transformer? Its laquered so you'll need to take that into account.  Or are you talking about the bell housing for the transformer?

both..I noticed that some of you guys paint the transformer and was wondering how and what (the transformer I have is not evenly covered by lacquer and needs to be painted )
I want something that will last   

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #4,268 of 12,335
Hello,

Newbie out.

CJJ

Check for sale forum I saw one yesterday

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #4,269 of 12,335
I believe there is also someone that builds them, and their info is posted in the forums on the Bottlehead site. be prepared to pay the price though, but I'm sure you would receive a quality build.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #4,270 of 12,335
do you guys think a newbie like me, who can read and not get electrocuted btw, could actually use the directions and youtube and build this dude? Never soldered before, but I can learn

if I do this is there any tips you all can give or pitfalls I need to be aware of? Easy upgrades I can do on my own or cautionary tales that I need to know about (ie painting the plate and heat or something)

thanks again

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #4,271 of 12,335
  do you guys think a newbie like me, who can read and not get electrocuted btw, could actually use the directions and youtube and build this dude? Never soldered before, but I can learn

if I do this is there any tips you all can give or pitfalls I need to be aware of? Easy upgrades I can do on my own or cautionary tales that I need to know about (ie painting the plate and heat or something)

thanks again

It's not that difficult. Just make sure you read exactly when to solder and when to simply attach.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #4,272 of 12,335
I wonder if a person posted here somewhere that they would build some kits for people, would it be worth it. Would you be able to charge enough to make it worth your time. I am thinking probably not, but I don;t think that amp would take that long to build once you had done 2 or 3 and got the logistics down solid.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #4,273 of 12,335
From the Bottlehead forums:

We are happy to announce that we have formed an alliance with our good bud Shawn Phelps, aka Scratch_P, and now aka hifibuilderguy. Some of you know that Shawn was our assembly tech here for several years, and he knows how to assemble our kits as well as anyone on the planet. His work is meticulous and reliable.

Shawn has decided to strike out on his own and we are pleased as punch to refer anyone who might want their kit built for them to Shawn. You should contact Shawn directly at hifibuilderguy@gmail.com to arrange assembly and payment. Ordering the kit from us would be done the usual way, and we can get your kit to Shawn when it is ready. Shawn is also the moderator on this forum and can answer your questions about the service he provides. This service is independent of Bottlehead Corp. Bottlehead guarantees the parts used in the kit, and hifibuilderguy guarantees the assembly service.

Here is Shawn's preliminary price list:

Bottlehead Kit Build Pricing - note this is price for the assembly service only, it does not include the kit price

Crack   $250
W/Speed + $90
-------------------------
Mainline  $850
---------------------------
S.E.X   $550
C4S +$70
Imp Switches + $90
--------------------------
Tode   $600
-----------------------
Stereomour   $675
Imp Switches +$90
----------------------
Paramount  $1250
--------------------
Reduction   $350
C4S + $100
------------------
Eros   $600
Tape Head Eros +$100
------------------
Submissive   $275
--------------------
Bee Pre   $900
W/Bee Quiet +$150
---------------------
Power Cord   $80
Bottlenect RCA Interconnect  $60

All bases/bell end/plates assembled stock (see upgrades below):

Add + $30 for sanded base w/ clear coat (per base)
Add + $25 for blued bell w/clear or Hammertone painted bell
Add + $40 for Hammertone painted plate (your choice of color)
Add + $30 Black screw option (all top side screws in black)
Add + $30 Cardas Quad Eutectic solder used throughout assembly

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #4,274 of 12,335
Hpiper, to answer your question, I'd charge pretty much spot on what the official Bottlehead builder (Shawn P.) charges. If you figure about how long it takes to assemble a kit and about what a reasonable wage is for moderately skilled work, the prices listed are very reasonable to both parties.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #4,275 of 12,335
Here is Shawn's preliminary price list:

Bottlehead Kit Build Pricing - note this is price for the assembly service only, it does not include the kit price

Crack   $250
W/Speed + $90
-------------------------

That's actually a very reasonable price, from what I can tell.

For those who have never touched a soldering iron before - I suppose any estimate of your ability would be prefaced with another question: have you ever attempted to build anything else? Are you the mechanically inclined sort? Or do you take your car to someone else to get the oil changed? Built any models?

Something I would recommend, just to get your feet wet with some kind of electronic assembly, would be to buy a cheap kit, like a little project from an electronic shop. Here's an example from Fry's electronics. Anything on that page that includes a circuit board and a few things to solder, would be an inexpensive way to develop soldering skills. Especially something like that Sound to Light kit - for 5 bucks, its just too hard to pass up. And it's a cute little toy you can give to your kids. Or save for your kids, when you build some
wink.gif
Or you can just practice on a few loose wires.

Soldering is not hard once you've done it a few times. Don't breathe the fumes. Work in a garage or other open space. You hold a couple wires together, heat them with the soldering gun, and touch the junction with solder, and flow the liquid metal over the connection. Don't let it get too hot or the insulation on the wires will melt. If you're not good with holding things together, get a little jig like this cute gadget they call a Helping Hands (just Google it, they are sold everywhere for $6 to $15). Comes with a magnifying glass too.

The more interesting challenge is learning how to deal with electricity. Especially when you start plugging things in, and charging up capacitors. The bottom of your amp is open. You don't want to go grabbing anything under there when it's plugged in, or hasn't been discharged. Once you start plugging things into the wall, you need to develop a healthy respect for electricity, because you can be seriously hurt if you touch live wires or connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back