Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 20, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #12,301 of 12,335
Yeah I was aware of output transformers needing a load, so I was wondering if there might be any other reason for a Crack to suffer with no output connected.
Not that I'm aware, but others can comment.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #12,302 of 12,335
Yeah I was aware of output transformers needing a load, so I was wondering if there might be any other reason for a Crack to suffer with no output connected.

The Crack has a 2.5 kohm resistor as a bleeder/load, which is why it is fine to power up, power down, and generally leave the amp without headphones connected. It won't damage the amp.

I'd just question the need/motivation. The vast majority of the benefits to 'warm up' happen in the first minute or two, and after that you're just wasting electricity and tube life. See this thread.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #12,303 of 12,335
The Crack has a 2.5 kohm resistor as a bleeder/load, which is why it is fine to power up, power down, and generally leave the amp without headphones connected. It won't damage the amp.

I'd just question the need/motivation. The vast majority of the benefits to 'warm up' happen in the first minute or two, and after that you're just wasting electricity and tube life. See this thread.
That's good to know.
It's not really about leaving it on, rather than about those times when I just turn it on before making something to drink and get lost in my kitchen for some 20 minutes lol
Still, that was an interesting thread. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #12,304 of 12,335
I have finally installed the upgrqded output caps in my BHC. These are audyn q4 caps and are huge. Maybe not that significant upgrade as speedball but really hearable improvement. Things are just more dimensional and material.

And the picture.

20240328_120420.jpg

I have had real fun completing and upgrading the BHC.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #12,305 of 12,335
Whats a big upgrade over crack otl for high impedence dynamics? Ideally something relatively available. No real budget.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #12,306 of 12,335
E75D488A-0BFF-4A56-ACDA-6198046ACED2.jpeg

My Bottlehead Crack, I did all cabinet and copper work. Dual single gang pots and VU meters in the front, all inputs and AC switch on the back.🤪
I do not want to reach around hot tubes to reach a switch or pots.

Damn that looks awesome!! I would love a BHC or any kind of tube amp that looks like an antique or vintage piece.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #12,307 of 12,335
Damn that looks awesome!! I would love a BHC or any kind of tube amp that looks like an antique or vintage piece.
I was trying for Steam Punk myself. :ksc75smile: faraday.jpgAnother of my works, this is my own design and I built it around 6sn7's and 5998's. I later turned wooden knobs instead of the plastic or metal ones. 2 lbs worth of 1/8 inch copper plate on the top of each, I added different patinas.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #12,308 of 12,335
Whats a big upgrade over crack otl for high impedence dynamics? Ideally something relatively available. No real budget.
I don't have the intent or money to upgrade from my BHC any time soon, but if I did, it'd probably be up to something like the Woo Audio WA2 or a Feliks Audio Elise

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #12,309 of 12,335
I don't have the intent or money to upgrade from my BHC any time soon, but if I did, it'd probably be up to something like the Woo Audio WA2 or a Feliks Audio Elise

Hrm I see. I wonder about something even beyond that. Whats an end game amp with crack sound ?

Apr 7, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #12,310 of 12,335
Hrm I see. I wonder about something even beyond that. Whats an end game amp with crack sound ?
I no longer build my Incubus Elegan amps but most everyone I know who heard one wanted one, I am very pleased with it and I have been working with tube amps since my teens. It is probably rude of me to mention something I no longer build. Amp cabinets started my interest in working with fine hardwoods and I have since moved on to other things. Electronics wise I should be making some custom turntable plinths soon for a Thorens as well as another table. I have also built custom racks for the various sizes of Schiit audio gear.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #12,312 of 12,335
Feliks Echo 2 comes to mind.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #12,313 of 12,335
If you can find one, the EC Zana Duex blew my socks off when I was lucky enough to own it for a short time.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #12,314 of 12,335
I no longer build my Incubus Elegan amps but most everyone I know who heard one wanted one, I am very pleased with it and I have been working with tube amps since my teens. It is probably rude of me to mention something I no longer build. Amp cabinets started my interest in working with fine hardwoods and I have since moved on to other things. Electronics wise I should be making some custom turntable plinths soon for a Thorens as well as another table. I have also built custom racks for the various sizes of Schiit audio gear.
Good to hear from you after an online blackout :wink:
Thought you were in some tube expedition in Ukraine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #12,315 of 12,335
Feliks Echo 2 comes to mind.
I would recommend the Elise (Freq response 10Hz-60Khz) if budget allows as the Echo 2 (15Hz-45Khz) sound signature is so clean and very close to Solid States

Users who are viewing this thread

Back