Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 19, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #11,791 of 12,335
Can anyone else here who has or has Crackatwoa comment on how it responds to valve bearings?
The c2a doesn't change as much with tube rolling as the crack does. That being said, the c2a with basic tubes has a blacker background, more space, more bass, and overall (imho!!!) sounds better than the crack with high end tubes. There isn't as big of a gap with the c2a between super expensive totl tubes and others, but it's still there.

The difference is I could sell my western electric 421a tubes and use good mid level centron tubes on the c2a and still get amazing sound.

The mainline doesn't respond to tube rolling pretty much at all, but is even higher end sound than the c2a. However, it is even less "tube" than the c2a, which is less "tube" than the crack with speedball, which is less "tube" than the baseline crack. I fit into the c2a level, personally, as my sweet spot between tube euphoria and clarity, imaging, bass, ect. Only you can say where your sweet spot is.

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #11,792 of 12,335
The c2a doesn't change as much with tube rolling as the crack does. That being said, the c2a with basic tubes has a blacker background, more space, more bass, and overall (imho!!!) sounds better than the crack with high end tubes. There isn't as big of a gap with the c2a between super expensive totl tubes and others, but it's still there.

The difference is I could sell my western electric 421a tubes and use good mid level centron tubes on the c2a and still get amazing sound.

The mainline doesn't respond to tube rolling pretty much at all, but is even higher end sound than the c2a. However, it is even less "tube" than the c2a, which is less "tube" than the crack with speedball, which is less "tube" than the baseline crack. I fit into the c2a level, personally, as my sweet spot between tube euphoria and clarity, imaging, bass, ect. Only you can say where your sweet spot is.
Good description. Not trying to be contrarian but I can hear a noticeable difference when rolling tubes in my Mainline. I must caveat that I am running Mundorf caps on my Mainline so that may account for the difference. You are right though rolling tubes in the Mainline does not make as much as a difference as with the Crack.

I think the oddball 6C45pi are a big reason for that. There is just not a big variety of those tubes and they can be hard to source. Fortunately I was able to source some early 70s production 6C45pi tubes out of Ukraine. They are noticably warmer and less sterile than the stock later production Sovteks or gold pin EHs. The combination of the early production 6C45pi power tubes with a RCA black plate 12AU7 or CBS Hytron 5814s and the Mundorf caps actually gives the Mainline a much warmer sound. Its similar in tone to the BHC with SB with good tubes while retaining the advantages of detail, soundstage, imaging, and tighter bass of the stock Mainline. I find it a lot more engaging than stock.

Having said all of that I still enjoy listening to the Crack with and without SB just as much as the Mainline. It just depends on what mood I'm in. I would definitely love to get my ears on the C2A one day but frankly after picking up the Mogwai I have no real need or desire to pickup anything else. It does everything I need in a tube headphone amp. I thought the Mainline was going to be that amp but it's lack of power when driving inefficient headphones led me to keep looking.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #11,793 of 12,335

I'm still trying to find my sweet spot. Of one thing I'm sure. I prioritize feeling soul/emotion in music more than technical details.

So I must sell my HD800s and stick with Veritè.

As for the amplifier, I like the magic of the tubes, so much so that I'm thinking of trying the Crack without the Speedball or a Woo Wa2, for example.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #11,794 of 12,335
So I must sell my HD800s and stick with Veritè.

As for the amplifier, I like the magic of the tubes, so much so that I'm thinking of trying the Crack without the Speedball or a Woo Wa2, for example
Verite shines with tubes but You need to match the amplifier to You liking. I guess the amps You mentioned sounds differently. I have not heard BHC yet (it is on its way to me), but wa2 is very clear sounding, less tubey amp. I had it and sold it due to lack of charm.
This does not mean it is not good, but really apms differ and You need to choose the one You like.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #11,795 of 12,335
I've been meaning to ask, now that I have my Crack, what are some other god-tier combinations with this amp? I've got a Senny 6XX, AKG Sextett, and Beyer 880 600-ohm, and I love them all on this amp. I see the Vérité come up a lot, who knows if I'll ever be lucky enough to own one of them.

So, beyond those four, what are some other famous pairings?

Nov 20, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #11,796 of 12,335
I've been meaning to ask, now that I have my Crack, what are some other god-tier combinations with this amp? I've got a Senny 6XX, AKG Sextett, and Beyer 880 600-ohm, and I love them all on this amp. I see the Vérité come up a lot, who knows if I'll ever be lucky enough to own one of them.

Some other phones I find it be a great match with the Crack are Beyer T1.2, Amiron Home, DT1990, HD600, HD660, HD58X, HD800, and all ZMF dynamic driver phones (Aeolus, Atrium, Atticus, Eikon, Auteur OG, and VO).

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #11,797 of 12,335
Verite shines with tubes but You need to match the amplifier to You liking. I guess the amps You mentioned sounds differently. I have not heard BHC yet (it is on its way to me), but wa2 is very clear sounding, less tubey amp. I had it and sold it due to lack of charm.
This does not mean it is not good, but really apms differ and You need to choose the one You like.

You say the Woo Wa2 is not a tubey amp?!

Everything I've read to date says just the opposite.

Can you explain better?

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #11,798 of 12,335
You say the Woo Wa2 is not a tubey amp?!

Everything I've read to date says just the opposite.

Can you explain better?
Remember everything is a bit subjective and You need to make Your own judgment.

For me wa2 is not tubey and i am not alone in this view. I even preferred wa3, which sounded nicer for me. If You compare wa2 to other woo amps it may be warmer (i used to have wa22 and wa6se as well), but woo amps are not particurarly warm.

See for example a review of La Figaro 339 and a brief comparison to wa2:

https://www.headfonia.com/lafigaro-339-my-fav-otl-amp/

I think it captures it well. I used to have La figaro 339 and loved it. If You are looking for warm but technically good sound this is it.

Feliks Elise is said to be tubey (i have not heard it) as is BHC without speedball (i will have it shortly).

Try really to listen Yourself at least one or two amps and check for comparisons to other amps so that You could have a view as to where they are against Your preferences.

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #11,799 of 12,335

The ZMF Atrium is amazing with the BHC speedball imo.

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #11,801 of 12,335
For the most part I run the same tube rolls in both the Airmid/BHC speedball. 6as7g/6j5. Airmid has a larger stage, better seperation/imaging and extends deeper than the BHC. Not surprising given the differences in cost, size, power supply and components. I consider them in the same 6as7g OTL family. The difference between a great top of the line tube and an average one are greater in the BHC than the Airmid. That being said, if I like a roll on the Airmid I like that combination on the BHC and vice versa. I still use the crack with the 6xx daily in my workshop. Long term I plan on making a new larger top plate and frame and converting to dual octal inputs so I can run the crack with 6j5, 6c5, 7193 inputs with out adaptors.

Nov 21, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #11,803 of 12,335

All three of my high impedance headphones (VO, HD800s and HD650) pair perfectly with my Crack w/speedball. But I have to use the right combination of valves for each of them.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #11,804 of 12,335
Bottlehead Black Friday sale.

Black Friday/Cyber Monday​

all available kits 15% off​

Friday, November 25th​

and Monday, November 28th​

Nov 24, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #11,805 of 12,335
All three of my high impedance headphones (VO, HD800s and HD650) pair perfectly with my Crack w/speedball. But I have to use the right combination of valves for each of them.
Interesting. Please share. I'm kind of locked in on mine (E80CC needs Speedball and resistor change - but whoa the sound).

Speaking of which - lots of people use input tubes that don't fit in order to get more choices/better sound.

What about the cathode follower? The ones with the big reputations are like hens teeth. Any alternates? Anybody?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back