Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 29, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #11,341 of 12,347
Jan 29, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #11,342 of 12,347
1) The 5998 tube for me tended towards being a bit brighter than your 6080, with more clarity and sparkle. Great tube.

2) The only thing I had to figure out when putting a new volume knob in is how long the new know can accept. I got one where I had to saw off part of the potentiometer to make it fit. Other than that you're all good.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #11,343 of 12,347
Two questions for my crack friends here:

1) Regarding power tubes, I have (and really enjoy) the Bendix and GEC 6080 and the lovely Chatham 6as7g big bottle. In your opinion(s), do you feel the 5998 will offer anything more/different/better?

2) I’d like to get a nice volume knob, preferably in aluminum, steel, or something if that nature. Any suggestions or links?
1) I wouldn’t say better, but different. Worth having to experiment with? I’d say yes, especially as you could probably try it out and sell it without much of a loss if not your flavor. Compared to the Chatham (which is my favorite lately) I’d say the 5998 is more energetic/forward/brighter and the Chatham more relaxed/more euphonic decay. I would make a rough comparison the GEC 6080 is somewhere in between the two.

2) +1 for PartsConnexion. I highly recommend the AudioNote knobs. Pricey but very high quality and heavy/smooth feel. Fits perfectly on Alps Blue Velvet (I think the same as the stock pot but you should double check the shaft diameter/length works). Here is the 25mm gloss black AudioNote knob currently in my BHC:
58D26E66-F3B3-406B-AE9D-417A707C45B9.jpeg

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #11,344 of 12,347
1) I wouldn’t say better, but different. Worth having to experiment with? I’d say yes, especially as you could probably try it out and sell it without much of a loss if not your flavor. Compared to the Chatham (which is my favorite lately) I’d say the 5998 is more energetic/forward/brighter and the Chatham more relaxed/more euphonic decay. I would make a rough comparison the GEC 6080 is somewhere in between the two.

2) +1 for PartsConnexion. I highly recommend the AudioNote knobs. Pricey but very high quality and heavy/smooth feel. Fits perfectly on Alps Blue Velvet (I think the same as the stock pot but you should double check the shaft diameter/length works). Here is the 25mm gloss black AudioNote knob currently in my BHC:
58D26E66-F3B3-406B-AE9D-417A707C45B9.jpeg
Nice! What custom wood is that?

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #11,345 of 12,347
Nice! What custom wood is that?
Thanks - wood is ziricote. Inspired by the ziricote wood ZMF Aeolus I got a few years back. One of my first woodworking projects, Zach helped me out with tips on the finish process as I wanted them to match the ear cups as closely as possible. Didn’t turn out perfect, but I’m happy with it :). I posted a bunch of pics in this gallery a while back: https://imgur.com/a/uATdg3g

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #11,346 of 12,347
Thanks, Gents! I will source a nicer volume knob and further adorn my already beautiful BHC with more stunning appointments.

Regarding the 5998:

If any of you would be kind enough to help me identify a source to purchase one (at hopefully, at a non-price gouging dollar amount) I would be most appreciative. Furthermore, if one of you happen to have one that you are not currently using and would be generously willing to allow me to purchase and try it out, I would be immensely thankful. Feel free to PM and I'm happy to follow up.

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #11,347 of 12,347
Thanks to another Head-Fier, I have a nice NOS Chatham 5998!!

I’ve only had a short time with it tonight, but I immediately hear very clear upper midrange, airy and crisp highs, and a nice push to vocals. Very, very smooth on the bass frequencies. I’m most impressed with the clarity in the treble frequencies. Some of the above descriptions were spot-on.

I’ll give it many days if listening coming up, but I feel so far this has taken my BHC up a notch!

5zsPjHj.jpg

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #11,348 of 12,347

I’ve only had a short time with it tonight, but I immediately hear very clear upper midrange, airy and crisp highs, and a nice push to vocals. Very, very smooth on the bass frequencies. I’m most impressed with the clarity in the treble frequencies. Some of the above descriptions were spot-on.

I’ll give it many days if listening coming up, but I feel so far this has taken my BHC up a notch!

5zsPjHj.jpg
Lol! So you're saying my incredibly in depth review with multiple comparisons was helpful?

I may be good at some things, but reviewing gear is NOT one of them :). Glad you like the tube! Now...time to tempt you with the 421A.

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #11,349 of 12,347
Glad you like the tube! Now...time to tempt you with the 421A.
Oh the proverbial rabbit hole...let's not forget the Bendix 6080WB slotted... :)

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #11,350 of 12,347
Oh the proverbial rabbit hole...let's not forget the Bendix 6080WB slotted... :)
Yeah- got that one already! It's a good one, as well. I'll post a nice family photo later on, but having fun with different tubes in the power section. Oddly, I've been totally satisfied with the clear top RCA in the input position. I've felt no need to touch that one!

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #11,351 of 12,347

5zsPjHj.jpg
Congrats to you on scoring a great tube!
So any preference for the 5998 or 6080? To me I like them both and they are just different.
It depends on your ears, your mood, music genre, etc...
You may find that certain 12AU7 and their equivalents may or may not mate better with the 5998 but that's the fun of tube rolling, enjoy!

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #11,352 of 12,347
Congrats to you on scoring a great tube!
So any preference for the 5998 or 6080? To me I like them both and they are just different.
It depends on your ears, your mood, music genre, etc...
You may find that certain 12AU7 and their equivalents may or may not mate better with the 5998 but that's the fun of tube rolling, enjoy!
Thanks- It's hard to know so soon, but I plan on clocking a lot of hours listening this weekend. My quick observation after < 24 hours with it, is that I'm very impressed with the clarity. There is less pronounced bass, which is fine with me, as I'm mostly focused on details in the treble frequencies, such as cymbals, snare, snap of rack toms, keyboards, strings, etc. This tube, so far, sounds the most accurate and "solid state" of any other tubes I've used, meaning that it does not soften the frequencies. Thus, less warmth (in a good way) and less blending of sounds. Better separation, in other words.

As I'm spending more time with the BHC (less than a year owning it and rolling tubes), I think I'm a clinical listener and not gravitating to warm, second order harmonics/distortion, and "relaxed" tubey presentation. I think I'm liking accuracy, detail, separation, and staging. Completely the opposite of my life as a guitarist using tube amps exclusively.

I'll compare with my 6080 and 6AS7G tubes and get back with thoughts.

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #11,353 of 12,347
You can pair it with a complementary input tube that has a bit more warmth and bottom end to really round it out. Some of the mullard 12au7, amperex (especially the very old ones), or a 6sn7 with a little body like a grey glass rca.

Feb 5, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #11,354 of 12,347
Power tube family photo...

L to R:

1959 Chatham 5998 domino plate; pair of matched 1960 Chatham 6AS7G; 1962 slotted Bendix 6080; pair of matched 1963 GEC 6080.

Right now, it's the honeymoon phase with the 5998. Listened for about 3 hours this morning and I like this tube better (so far, honeymoon phase mind you!) than any of the others. If that holds true over the next month or so, I don't see any of these other tubes getting any amp time. We shall see...

Hg48NoL.jpg

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #11,355 of 12,347
@L0rdGwyn I have a quick question. I know in the past you used Audio Note knobs on your Crackatwoa build. I bought one for my Crack. I noticed that it cannot sit flat on the top plate. It's too heavy and makes for a messy volume control. So it has to sit higher up a bit, as in your photos of the Crackatwoa. My question is - did you use any washer or anything between the knob and the plate? Mine seems to stay on just fine, but as I turn it the gap distance varies, no matter how straight I try to fix it on. A bit annoying.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back