Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 22, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #11,311 of 12,347
Good tube suggestions guys! I'm getting really good sound right now with a Chatham (Tung-Sol) 6AS7 for the power tube and a CBS-Hytron 5814 for the input tube. This combo has very good synergy with the Cocobolo Auteur. When I'm listening to the T1 Gen 2 I like the RCA Black Plate 6AS7 and Mullard 12AU7/EC82. This tube combo sounds great with the HD6XX family of cans also. I haven't tried the Chatham/CBS-Hytron combo with the 600 family yet but it will probably pair well with them also. I've got next week off so I will know soon! Lol!

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #11,313 of 12,347
For power tubes I would recommend the rca 6as7g, the tung sol 6as7g, or the 7236 tube. They can all be found at reasonable prices, so if you see what seems an excessively high priced one just move on.

For input tubes I would say a older rca/victor 12au7, a Siemens silver plate 12au7, or a 6sn7 adapter and one of the tubes that interests you from the 6sn7 reference thread.

Good recommendations!

Tung Sol 5998 is also one of the best power tubes to consider, if the budget can be stretched a little bit, so does Bendix 6080. I've rolled almost all the power tubes available to Crack over the years, someday when I get the time and energy I may write a summary on them.

For input tubes, there are just too many choices/flavors, 12AU7 / 6SN7 / 7N7 / 7AF7 / 12BH7 / 6CG7 / etc. If you like the 12AU7 family tubes, you can also try the dual 6C4 tubes with an adapter, it's 12AU7 equivalent.

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #11,314 of 12,347
It's just a connector preference, XLR is meant to be used in balanced gear but can be wired for single-ended.
Yes. Every can I have has a balanced connection, so... Also unless u use locking SE connections - balanced has a more stable connection.

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #11,315 of 12,347
Also unless u use locking SE connections - balanced has a more stable connection.

Then you can go mountain biking with your BHC in a backpack :)

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #11,317 of 12,347
I'll rotate different tubes in every now and then and listen for a couple of months. Right now, I've got the slotted Bendix in the power tube position and wow, the low end response is just great with tube! Still hoping to find a reasonably priced 5998 one day to test drive.

AvBghHRh.jpg

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #11,318 of 12,347
I'll rotate different tubes in every now and then and listen for a couple of months. Right now, I've got the slotted Bendix in the power tube position and wow, the low end response is just great with tube! Still hoping to find a reasonably priced 5998 one day to test drive.

AvBghHRh.jpg
Which weighs more: the Bendix or the stone chassis? This pic screams heavy duty!

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #11,319 of 12,347
Jan 9, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #11,321 of 12,347
Maybe you can convince Zach to make a ZMF hand-chiseled from stone :D
Well, kind of funny that you mention Zach! I just took delivery yesterday of these beautiful Camphor Burl ltd. ZMF Verite Open cans. I’ve only had about 24 hours with them so far, but holy smokes, the low and extension and slam are head and shoulders above my Auteur.

There is some kind of magic synergy between the BHC speedball, NOS tubes, and ZMF cans. It’s completely undeniable and readily apparent. This amp drives these cans into sonic perfection. The frequency range and response is amazing. Huge, I tell you!

In all my research, the Verite are supposed to be endgame level headphones. I’ll be putting them through the paces over the next several weeks to see. I was really torn between these and the Utopia, but the latter would not be a match for the BHC speedball. I believe the Utopia need to have a different kind of amp for impedance matching, or so I’m told. I went with the cans that would be the best match for what I currently have. So far, so good! Many more hours of listening to follow to confirm that these are endgame headphones.

TyUftP7.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #11,322 of 12,347

AvBghHRh.jpg
Isn't the Bendix supposed to be much better (or at least much more expensive) than the 5998? Or are you just wanting to compare 2 highly regarded tubes against each other?

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #11,323 of 12,347
Isn't the Bendix supposed to be much better (or at least much more expensive) than the 5998? Or are you just wanting to compare 2 highly regarded tubes against each other?
Yes, curious to compare more than anything.

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #11,324 of 12,347
I think it is a preference thing, as well as what tubes they're paired with. I preferred the 5998 sound over the bendix 6080wb, personally. They're both good tubes, though. I've noticed both around the same price point, however the bendix can be slightly higher, so you are correct on that end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back