Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #8,641 of 12,335
I did and in all honesty I preferred the Chatham 6080 (also Tung Sol I believe) it could be the age of the tubes I bought but the volume level was lower with those. Sound quality was decent but they did not push my modified headphones quite like the 6080.

May 27, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #8,642 of 12,335
I did and in all honesty I preferred the Chatham 6080 (also Tung Sol I believe) it could be the age of the tubes I bought but the volume level was lower with those. Sound quality was decent but they did not push my modified headphones quite like the 6080.

Hi, Tom. I am a little bit confused. You use the TS 6SN7GT as driver or power tube?

PS Just found a couple your friends here also wanna to sale their Crack. LOL

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #8,643 of 12,335
Hi, Tom. I am a little bit confused. You use the TS 6SN7GT as driver or power tube?

Interesting. Looks like the 6SN7GT can be used instead of the 12AU7, but requires mods to the crack.

May 27, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #8,644 of 12,335
I definitely used it for the power tube, it fits the octal socket and it is considerably smaller than the 6080. I just happened across a couple of these and grabbed them quickly without doing much research lol. Maybe you folks were talking about using them in place of the 12au7 and I missed that.

The tubes I ended up with are sized in between the 12Au7 and 6080, they are marked Tung Sol
6SN7GTB, I have a tendency to skim the posts quickly so I may well have missed important info about their usage.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #8,645 of 12,335

I know Allanmarcus mentioned selling his, I have two so I will either sell one or give it to my son. He is starting to like the looks of the one I am modifying and I have enough parts to do two. I have not done the Speedball upgrades yet but with the proper headphones I do like the way they sound.

Tom

May 27, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #8,646 of 12,335
I definitely used it for the power tube, it fits the octal socket and it is considerably smaller than the 6080. I just happened across a couple of these and grabbed them quickly without doing much research lol. Maybe you folks were talking about using them in place of the 12au7 and I missed that.

The tubes I ended up with are sized in between the 12Au7 and 6080, they are marked Tung Sol
6SN7GTB, I have a tendency to skim the posts quickly so I may well have missed important info about their usage.

Thanks for your quick response, Tom.

Those >$150 TS 6SN7GT are round plate ones made in 1940s (WWII/black glass). By using a 6SN7-to-12AU7 adapter, they are wonderful driver tubes. In your second crack, not sure if you can mod it to be able to use both 6SN7 and 12au7 tubes (with switches). Someone had done that before.

May 27, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #8,648 of 12,335
Thanks for the info on the tubes, I have been in electronics long enough to know what I do not know and tubes are not my specialty lol. I studied them in college some but only worked with them briefly in hybrid tv's and Dynaco equipment years ago. I did not pay $150 for these by any means and you have given me some good info.

Tom

May 28, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #8,650 of 12,335
Thanks Hawk! I may grab one of those. Have you tried them and what changes in sound might I expect using one?

I also see where there are some Tung Sol 6336's available on Ebay but they draw 5 amps. Anyone had experience with them or bad idea?

I need to locate the Bottlehead list of tubes again so I can more carefully check out what to try.

May 28, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #8,651 of 12,335
Thanks Hawk! I may grab one of those. Have you tried them and what changes in sound might I expect using one?

I also see where there are some Tung Sol 6336's available on Ebay but they draw 5 amps. Anyone had experience with them or bad idea?

I need to locate the Bottlehead list of tubes again so I can more carefully check out what to try.

Hi, Tom, I used that adapter. But the top 6SN7s are very expensive comparing to 12au7s.

Here is a good reference:

http://www.fourwater.com/files/hist6sn7.txt

"
Another debate about plates is the plate material color.
The material color does not have any real impact on the performance
of the tube. While some argue that the black plates are better because
they can radiate heat more effectively, the reality is that the
tubes are not operated at a level where this would have any impact
on the performance of the tube. A better reason for paying attention
to the plate material used is to get an idea of who made the tube.
Black rectangular ribbed plates are most commonly found on RCA tubes
(although they produced rectangular gray and square gray plates as well).
Square plates are found in later (cheaper) constructed tubes, which
is why they usually don't command as high a price as the rectangular
or round plates. The round plates don't have as much maximum power
handling as the rectangular or square plates, but the round plates
have a more even distribution between the cathode, grid and plate which
improves the amplification quality of the tube
." (leads to >$150 TS RP tubes, :) )

The PT-3 power transformer can handle 3.5 amps of AC heating.

Not sure about the new PT-10 in your crack.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #8,652 of 12,335
I have the newest version of the Crack (that I am customizing) as well as a 1.0 (I believe) that I built stock for comparison purposes. I will not risk it, I see those tubes going for $50 so I figured I had best ask.

I do not have the top 6sn7's by any means and I will probably stick with quality 12AU7's,

Right now I am in the middle of wiring my VU meters and Alps pots with Molex plugs so I can reach under, disconnect anything I wish from front and back plate and pull the main plate of the amp. (mine has three copper plates.) Tedious stuff but when completed I will post a photo with lighted meters.

May 28, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #8,653 of 12,335
May 28, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #8,654 of 12,335
IMG_1915.JPG
Thanks Allan, for some reason I have trouble accessing that site and the link really helps.
IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG
The wood came out a little darker than intended but luckily I will be doing another cabinet and I think polished copper would fit this cabinet a bit better. With the system I have in place i can swap all three plates in a minute or two.

I finished the inside of the cabinet as well, the oak had such a nice grain it seemed a shame not to show it off a bit.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #8,655 of 12,335
For new tube amp owners who are reading this thread, I have some suggestions:

1. Ignore the recommendations from the tube sellers.
2. Ignore the extremely positive comments from someone who just purchased a tube in the last couple of days.
3. Avoid impulse purchase and bidding wars.
4. Don't have to trust those "power sellers" on E--bay (i.e. desiremexxxx). They sometimes sell weak tubes as NOS.
5. Choose the tube(s) you like most based on your own taste.
6. Good pair(s) of driver and power tubes will help you easily pass this test:
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back