Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 13, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #6,631 of 12,346
A Khozmos in a crack? You would have to make a much larger housing for the crack, and probably use a 12 x 12 inch plate at the least. That'd be a huge piece of crack
biggrin.gif

I have a 48 position Khozmo shunt type stuffed in my Crack. :) I had to get creative with the left channel (assuming left) current regulator board. I got some jointed mounting pegs and the stiffness of the wires keep it in place. The crack doesn't move in its rack, so its fine that way.  I can't remember if I ever got around to posting pics of that mod.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #6,632 of 12,346
I have a 48 position Khozmo shunt type stuffed in my Crack. :) I had to get creative with the left channel (assuming left) current regulator board. I got some jointed mounting pegs and the stiffness of the wires keep it in place. The crack doesn't move in its rack, so its fine that way.  I can't remember if I ever got around to posting pics of that mod.

Would love to see pics of that.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #6,633 of 12,346

I'd be curious to see it to.  Any chance you would bring it to the meet (whenever it is)?  

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #6,636 of 12,346
  I'm saying yes, the Blue Velvet sounded better to me than a PEC in my system. But I may also be saying that you do not want a real one, you may want the fake. I'm not sure what about it made Peebs decide it's fake.

I wonder how many different fakes there are .... now to hunt for the best of the mutha-fakers..........

did you remember if your fake has lugs?

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #6,640 of 12,346
I did exactly that.  I LOVED the HD600 + Crack but I wanted the bigger sound stage and more detail.  

I know I am in the minority here, but I hated the HD800's and the Crack (Speedball, Mundorf caps, Blue Velvet Pot, Telefunken ECC83, Tung Sol 5998).  I was actually going to return the HD800's because I 100% preferred the HD600 to the HD800's.  A fellow head-fi'er talked me out of it.  The HD800's have rich blood and to sound right (to me) they something pretty major behind them.  My analogy (despite it not being perfect) is the HD800's are like a Ferrari F60.  It's really an amazing thing.  But put the wrong tires, fuel and oil on/in it, however, and it's a mess.  You're better off with a less expensive car with the right tires, fuel and oil.  It wasn't until I upgraded my amp that I fell in love with the HD800's.  Having lived with both setups for a long time now the HD600 + Crack still very well holds its own and it has lost nothing when it come to an enjoyable listed.  What you already have is a really special combination.

But that's me, IMHO, YMMV, etc etc etc.  Many others here would strongly disagree and that's okay, to each their own.  But that was my experience.  

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #6,641 of 12,346
Hello All,

So I was looking around on Ebay for a stepped attenuator and I found one that looks great but I don't know much about it and cannot find more information about it, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with it?
I don't know what it is called but here is a picture of it:

It looks fantastic and has a pretty hefty price at $179
Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stepped-attenuator-STEREO-48-steps-Volume-control-/121337752812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c404b2cec
Any feedback would be great. Oh and does anybody no of a good place other than Ebay to find 5998 tubes?

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #6,642 of 12,346
  Hello All,

So I was looking around on Ebay for a stepped attenuator and I found one that looks great but I don't know much about it and cannot find more information about it, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with it?
I don't know what it is called but here is a picture of it:

It looks fantastic and has a pretty hefty price at $179
Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stepped-attenuator-STEREO-48-steps-Volume-control-/121337752812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c404b2cec
Any feedback would be great. Oh and does anybody no of a good place other than Ebay to find 5998 tubes?

That, my friend is a khozmo stepped attenuator.  I don't know if that is a real one or a knockoff, so I think you are better suited to spend the same amount of money on their official website.  http://www.khozmo.com/products_dale_shunt.html  The pictures don't match up because that is the mkII and the ones on the website are mkI.  Rest assured though he will send you a MKII. It is one of the few stepped attenutators that will give you 48 steps instead of 24 and they seem to be well built.  I have one on order right now.  If you can wait about a week or so for it to arrive I can tell you exactly what I think about it.  

Edit:  It is the same one that NightFlight used in his crack just a few posts up.  Again though that is the MKI.  Also forgot to mention that there are upgrade options if that is your kind of thing as well.  

Mar 15, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #6,643 of 12,346
Ok hey everyone. I just bought this for $520 on forum here is it ok price and what not.

"sale includes the new Crack amp with speedball. Walnut stain and poly on the wood base, painted bell and power transformer, painted retainer ring on the power tube, solid milled aluminum volume knob and some of the best soldering work on any Crack that I've seen. Right angle power cord and RCA connectors also included. Stock tubes. I did not build this amp. It was built by an experienced crack builder that happens to live near me. 

At my request the builder added the resistor mod as specified on the Bottlehead forum. This allows the knob to swing up towards11-12:00 and be nice and full without being deafeningly loud. The mod also eliminate channel imbalance problems when listening at low levels. 

For $75 extra I can include a near mint NOS Tung Sol 5998 and Telefunken 12au7 that make the best pair of tube I've ever heard on the Crack, period.  Both tubes are perfect performers and have no noise or microphonics."

I have been browsing the forums for a tube amp for my Senn HD 700,650 and 560 Ovation II's for years. FINALLY bought what I posted about for $520 as I said. I figured with the mods and extra tubes it was ok price, shipped.

I'll be using an Aune T1 for a DAC to it for now but might upgrade that down the road I haven't researched that part yet. I really just kinda caved in after missing that Lyr listing with $180 worth of telefunken tubes with it for $330 or whatever it was I forget.

Anyway have a lot of reading to do through this thread now that I own one and I can't wait to hear a proper amp after all these years. I've never really listened to any of my headphones with a proper amp ever, I've only used the Aune T1 which isn't anywhere near a proper amp I'm sure. This should be intersting to say the least.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #6,644 of 12,346
Ok hey everyone. I just bought this for $520 on forum here is it ok price and what not.

One can always debate price, but at least for your 650's I'd say you'll be very happy. Just the work that's gone into it with the ugrades and walnut base justifies the price, and you now own a very sweet amp. I'm sure others can comment on the pairing with the other cans, but once you receive it and give it a go I think you'll be very happy with he purchase.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #6,645 of 12,346
That, my friend is a khozmo stepped attenuator.  I don't know if that is a real one or a knockoff, so I think you are better suited to spend the same amount of money on their official website.  http://www.khozmo.com/products_dale_shunt.html  The pictures don't match up because that is the mkII and the ones on the website are mkI.  Rest assured though he will send you a MKII. It is one of the few stepped attenutators that will give you 48 steps instead of 24 and they seem to be well built.  I have one on order right now.  If you can wait about a week or so for it to arrive I can tell you exactly what I think about it.  

Edit:  It is the same one that NightFlight used in his crack just a few posts up.  Again though that is the MKI.  Also forgot to mention that there are upgrade options if that is your kind of thing as well.  

It would be great if you let me know what you think of the sound, because it looks great, but that doesnt really meam much about its sound. And I guess it is a good idea to rather get it from the actual supplier.

I am still curious about a good place to get great condition 5998 tubes that isn't from EBay. I would rather pay a bit more and get a tube that I know will work for a while, or is reliability not a problem for the Tung-sol tube? This question is obviously directed at everyone. :yum:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back