Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #5,553 of 12,347
it runs very very hot though. is this normal?

Yes. Most tubes get quite hot. Part of the circuit is called a heater for a reason
cool.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #5,555 of 12,347
The big rectangular resistors (right under the vents) get very very hot. The shorter one near the transformer gets quite hot too. The entire plate gets quite warm as a result, and just hot enough to burn (or at least be highly uncomfortable) right at the vents.

p.s. don't touch the tubes either. I tried that once... and seared my fingerprints into it.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #5,556 of 12,347

Single Crack is not enough? Must need double crack?

Hi diaBoliQu3,

I'm using 2 Cracks to see if the capacitor/attenuator upgrades really improve anything from the stock Crack. The 'original' wood base Crack is the upgraded Crack, in which includes the clarity caps, ERSE caps and the Alps Blue Velvet Potentiometer; the brown one is the stock speedballed Crack.

Cheers,
Kratos.

Which color of crack sound better?  

The 'original' color one, certainly, because it was highly modded
biggrin.gif

Regards,
Kratos.

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #5,557 of 12,347
  Hi diaBoliQu3,

I'm using 2 Cracks to see if the capacitor/attenuator upgrades really improve anything from the stock Crack. The 'original' wood base Crack is the upgraded Crack, in which includes the clarity caps, ERSE caps and the Alps Blue Velvet Potentiometer; the brown one is the stock speedballed Crack.

Cheers,
Kratos.

The 'original' color one, certainly, because it was highly modded
biggrin.gif

Regards,
Kratos.

One Crack is never enough.
biggrin.gif
So, how much did you spend for modded and how much percentage does it bring up to? This is too much. Stock Crack is good, Balls upgrade is better, but there's no best setup for this amp. Urgh!

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #5,558 of 12,347

One Crack is never enough.
biggrin.gif
So, how much did you spend for modded and how much percentage does it bring up to? This is too much. Stock Crack is good, Balls upgrade is better, but there's no best setup for this amp. Urgh!

Less than a half decent aftermarket cable around $100 or half that if your not to worried about using Russian surplus film capacitors or film motor run capacitors instead of audio branded ones.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #5,559 of 12,347
  Just wanted to throw this out as an interest check. I'll possibly be producing some custom bases out of exotic types woods. Black walnut, tiger wood, birdseye maple ect. I plan to build about 10 bases and sell them here on the forums. It will be a US only sale and will be a limited run. Please pm me if you have any interest. 

Did this ever come to fruition? I will certainly be interested.

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #5,565 of 12,347
What is everyone's opinion of the best driver tube to be paired with the TS 5998? Also, please explain why this pairing works best for you, and if possible, include what headphone you are using. I have a TS 5998 incoming and I want to go ahead and purchase a viable complement before it arrives. Thanks in advance guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back