Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #4,022 of 12,347
I am guessing you found the 5998 here they also have the GEC 6as7g listed. I have never used them and am not sure if they sell direct to the public.

https://web211.secure-secure.co.uk/tube-and-valve-electronics.co.uk/wholesale/basket.asp

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #4,023 of 12,347
Thanks for the info about what's a reasonable price. I'll definitely check out the Mullard because I've seen a few around for £20-30 and I was pleasantly surprised by the ECC82, for the nominal price I paid.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #4,024 of 12,347
don't forget 5998 are rarely used in UK and was a US tubes, A1834 / 6AS7G GECs are a UK tube and rarely seen in US, so this will give you an idea where to buy each from. Mullard and GECs are excellent tubes. £90 should almost get you an A1834 / 6AS7G GEC (sent from Cyprus to UK), via ebay :) If you bid on Mullard 6080s there might be interest from others but I got one for £1.20 the other day plus P and P.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #4,025 of 12,347
  £90 should almost get you an A1834 / 6AS7G GEC (sent from Cyprus to UK), via ebay :) If you bid on Mullard 6080s there might be interest from others but I got one for £1.20 the other day plus P and P

lol I was bidding on the Mullard 6080 as well, first bidder, "You bid £1.00. The auction just ended at £1.20" I had meant to increase my bid but forgot all about it! Its good to know someone from the forum won it. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #4,028 of 12,347
Nic my tube purchasing funds are a little low after a winning a pair of GEC curved brown bases yesterday! So the field is all yours. PM me if you win and I would be interested if you have one going spare.

Good luck! 

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #4,029 of 12,347
  Nic my tube purchasing funds are a little low after a winning a pair of GEC curved brown bases yesterday! So the field is all yours. PM me if you win and I would be interested if you have one going spare.

Good luck! 

You were the one who out bid me then! lol I bid £81 and you won with £83! I won the Brimars from that seller, a rather nice ceramic based 6080 in that lot :)

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #4,030 of 12,347

You were the one who out bid me then! lol I bid £81 and you won with £83! I won the Brimars from that seller, a rather nice ceramic based 6080 in that lot :)

Nic that is twice you have pipped me at the post, and I was pressing the £6 bid now button when the time ran out lol..

Did not win: Brimar 6080 pair of valves octal bases‏

You bid £5.00. The auction just ended at £5.50

Small world

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #4,031 of 12,347
I'm happy to say I just picked up the Beyerdynamic T90's for my Crack, and man, they sing.  I've been more of a Sennheiser guy, listening to most of my music on my HD650's at home and the Momentums on the go.  I was never quite satisfied with the 650's.  None of that "veil" nonsense, I just never really dug the rolled-off sub bass, and there was a certain sweetness in the presence region missing from these phones for me.

After reading many a review online for the various Beyer's I decided to pull the trigger on the  T90s for just $409.00 on ebay; man, am I glad I did!  The bass gave me what I felt was missing with the Senns: greater impact and depth.  The midrange is silky smooth and ultra detailed  Voices and instruments sound rich and natural with no stridency to speak of.

The treble is just fantastic.  This is the biggest difference between the T90's and the 650's imo.  They way they've sculpted the treble, it seems to have an emphasis in the upper region: plenty of treble "air", but without harshness in the lower treble.  There's a tiny bit of sibilance here and there.  For instance, on U2's Achtung Baby, Bono's voice can be pretty raw at times because that's the way it was recorded and mixed.  Very little sibilance on the dozens of albums I've demoed.   From Master of Puppets to Taylor Dayne to Rush's Moving Pictures, everything is just smooth, detailed and airy.  Beyerdynamic has earned a new customer with these superb 'phones.  I've done extensive listens with the HD700's and the LCD-2's recently, and I have to say the T90's are not just the best value I've heard under $1000 bucks, but just simply one of the best headphones under $1000, period.  Highly recommended as a virtually perfect match with the Crack (mine is all stock in case you were wondering.  No speedball...yet).

On a side note, I recently replaced the stock vintage tube in my Crack with a Genalex Gold Lion 12au7...Big mistake!  And yes the Genalex was burned in for about 50-60 hours.  Where the T90's sounded perfectly even and smooth before, they now sounded overly bright, slightly grainy in the highs, with less bass.  I just simply didn't enjoy them as much as with the original input tube.  I guess there's something to be said for the quality of those old NOS tubes after all...

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #4,032 of 12,347
I'm happy to say I just picked up the Beyerdynamic T90's for my Crack, and man, they sing.  I've been more of a Sennheiser guy, listening to most of my music on my HD650's at home and the Momentums on the go.  I was never quite satisfied with the 650's.  None of that "veil" nonsense, I just never really dug the rolled-off sub bass, and there was a certain sweetness in the presence region missing from these phones for me.

After reading many a review online for the various Beyer's I decided to pull the trigger on the  T90s for just $409.00 on ebay; man, am I glad I did!  The bass gave me what I felt was missing with the Senns: greater impact and depth.  The midrange is silky smooth and ultra detailed  Voices and instruments sound rich and natural with no stridency to speak of.

The treble is just fantastic.  This is the biggest difference between the T90's and the 650's imo.  They way they've sculpted the treble, it seems to have an emphasis in the upper region: plenty of treble "air", but without harshness in the lower treble.  There's a tiny bit of sibilance here and there.  For instance, on U2's Achtung Baby, Bono's voice can be pretty raw at times because that's the way it was recorded and mixed.  Very little sibilance on the dozens of albums I've demoed.   From Master of Puppets to Taylor Dayne to Rush's Moving Pictures, everything is just smooth, detailed and airy.  Beyerdynamic has earned a new customer with these superb 'phones.  I've done extensive listens with the HD700's and the LCD-2's recently, and I have to say the T90's are not just the best value I've heard under $1000 bucks, but just simply one of the best headphones under $1000, period.  Highly recommended as a virtually perfect match with the Crack (mine is all stock in case you were wondering.  No speedball...yet).

On a side note, I recently replaced the stock vintage tube in my Crack with a Genalex Gold Lion 12au7...Big mistake!  And yes the Genalex was burned in for about 50-60 hours.  Where the T90's sounded perfectly even and smooth before, they now sounded overly bright, slightly grainy in the highs, with less bass.  I just simply didn't enjoy them as much as with the original input tube.  I guess there's something to be said for the quality of those old NOS tubes after all...

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #4,033 of 12,347

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #4,035 of 12,347

The TS 5998 will be the icing on the cake for the T90's. The Btl Crack (with Spd Ball) + TS 5998 is the best sound I have heard from the T90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back