Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 17, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #2,388 of 12,347
Quote:
Check out eBay international - One ending in the land of Oz in about 18 hours currently @ $120.00 US (76 GBP) 
wink_face.gif

Sssshhhhh!! Don't tell people - I'm stalking that one right now!! 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2,389 of 12,347
Aug 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,390 of 12,347
I'm using the Modi with my Crack and HD650. Have you ever heard the Modi? If so, how would you compare it to your Bifrost? I'm planning to upgrade the DAC to the Bifrost, but I'm not sure if the differences are worth the premium price or not :D

Thanks,
Kratos.

Kratos,

I know people will disagree, but in my experience all DACs sound the same once you (a) get over the $100 price point, and (b) equalize for strength of output signal. I have a $1,000 DAC, I have several $300-500 DACs, and I have two $100 DACs. In a blind test, I don't think I could tell the difference between any of them, there are a lot of things you could spend money on rather than a DAC and get bigger improvements in sound. YMMV

Best regards,
Adam

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #2,392 of 12,347
Quote:
Kratos,

I know people will disagree, but in my experience all DACs sound the same once you (a) get over the $100 price point, and (b) equalize for strength of output signal. I have a $1,000 DAC, I have several $300-500 DACs, and I have two $100 DACs. In a blind test, I don't think I could tell the difference between any of them, there are a lot of things you could spend money on rather than a DAC and get bigger improvements in sound. YMMV

Best regards,
Adam

I have found the same to be true here as well.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2,393 of 12,347
Quote:
Kratos,

Best regards,
Adam

Hi Adam,

Really? Actually this is the first time I've heard someone saying that there is NO difference in sound quality when you change DACs, my experience is different, I'm not as fortunate as you, I can hear the differences between DACs, I guess you can save bunch of dollars thanks to that
biggrin.gif

Which equipment should I spend money on to get big improvements in your opinion?
wink.gif

Thanks for your reply,

Best regards,
Kratos.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #2,394 of 12,347
Quote:
Hi Kratos

Did you decide on getting a GEC 6AS7G brown base?  One just finished for well under $200.00 - Was this you?

Cheers

Hi WOlfdOg,

No, after receiving some recommendations from Adam here and in Bottlehead forum, which I guess you read also, I decided not to go for the premium tubes, and I'm gonna save pennies for the coming BH DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Best,
Kratos.

P/S: I'm really jealous with your huge tube inventory by the way
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,395 of 12,347
Quote:
Hi Adam,

Really? Actually this is the first time I've heard someone saying that there is NO difference in sound quality when you change DACs, my experience is different, I'm not as fortunate as you, I can hear the differences between DACs, I guess you can save bunch of dollars thanks to that
biggrin.gif

Which equipment should I spend money on to get big improvements in your opinion?
wink.gif

Thanks for your reply,

Best regards,
Kratos.

Buy the best headphone you can afford, first and foremost.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2,396 of 12,347
Quote:

I'll disagree as I do hear differences between DACs.  For example, I can definitely easily hear a difference between the HRT MS II and HRT MSII+.... but I could barely hear a difference between the ODAC and the HRT MSII.  The difference is easier to hear with certain setups than others.

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,397 of 12,347
Hi WOlfdOg,

No, after receiving some recommendations from Adam here and in Bottlehead forum, which I guess you read also, I decided not to go for the premium tubes, and I'm gonna save pennies for the coming BH DAC :)

Best,
Kratos.

P/S: I'm really jealous with your huge tube inventory by the way :frowning2:

I can definitely appreciate where Adam is coming from.

That said, everyone has a differing system and ears. I am looking at refining something I love to bits and don't want to alter dramatically. Tube rolling is a fun way to do this.

There is room for the subjective in this hobby. And for differences of opinion.

Cheers

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #2,398 of 12,347
Quote:
Check out eBay international - One ending in the land of Oz in about 18 hours currently @ $120.00 US (76 GBP) 
wink_face.gif

It's finished and on it's way to my Crack! 
blink.gif

My first significant tube purchase (i.e. >$50). I hope it will be a nice upgrade over my existing GE 6AS7GA which sounds brilliant with Genalex Gold ECC82 and driving my T1s.

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #2,400 of 12,347
Quote:
Buy the best headphone you can afford, first and foremost.

Hi Brunk,

How would you think about using the TH-900 with the Crack? I've heard the TH-900 once and I totally loved it. But I'm not sure if they are good when paired with the Crack or not :)

Cheers.
Quote:

It's finished and on it's way to my Crack! 
blink.gif

My first significant tube purchase (i.e. >$50). I hope it will be a nice upgrade over my existing GE 6AS7GA which sounds brilliant with Genalex Gold ECC82 and driving my T1s.

Nice! And don't forget to leave some impressions on how the sound is when you get the GEC
biggrin.gif

Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back