Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #1,638 of 12,335
Quote:

I've emailed them twice today with zero response. Not a very good first impression.

Indeed. I mean hell, how did commerce ever possibly proceed before the days of instantly answered emails?

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,641 of 12,335
Quote:

Indeed. I mean hell, how did commerce ever possibly proceed before the days of instantly answered emails?

Quote:

Patience Grasshopper (am pretty sure you won't get this 1970s TV reference).  Tube selling is a side-line business for many people.

Geez guys, cut me some slack will ya?
wink.gif
 They have an email address for a reason, no? It should be no different than making a phone call. Pet peeve of mine. If you offer your customers three different email addresses as a means of contacting your business, then answer your messages during normal business hours. Especially sales inquiries. And I don't know if I'd categorize a company that boasts having an "inventory of over 12 million tubes in stock!" as a side business.

BTW BmWr75, I got your reference just fine. Now I'm gonna go walk the Earth while I wait for my email to be answered...

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,643 of 12,335
Timing doesn't work for me. I'm 3 hours behind EDT and it's problematic to make personal calls during working hours. They just need to answer their email. I don't NEED that tube...

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #1,644 of 12,335
I emailed vacuumtubes.net a couple of days ago (right after Jeremy posted the link) about wanting to purchase a 5998.. got a reply back within two hours.. they needed my shipping address).. I responded right away with it.  Got an email from them yesterday to let me know the 5998 has shipped.  Very smooth transaction and excellent service in my case.  
redface.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,647 of 12,335
Quote:
Timing doesn't work for me. I'm 3 hours behind EDT and it's problematic to make personal calls during working hours. They just need to answer their email. I don't NEED that tube...

They are about the only ones you can get NOS ones from though, so you might have to take a 15 minute break from work and give them a call.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,649 of 12,335
Every fringe hobby I have requires calling people on the phone.  Mostly because the people I'm dealing with aren't internet savvy or they're too busy repairing things during the day to have time to sit around watching email.  Some of them don't even like to be called (in the case of antique camera repairmen.)   I've just been sitting around taking potshots at ebay auctions and after two weeks' time, I have about 8 6AS7G tubes and about 6 12AU7 tubes sitting here at home.   

Speaking of which, the 6AS7G tubes have 'hum' but this hum I'm referring to is constant from volume setting zero all the way to maxed out.   So I'm starting to wonder if it's not the tubes themselves, rather I might be overtaxing some part of the Crack?   Do I need bigger electrolytic capacitors somewhere?    Because it's not really noise from a bad signal since I can hear it at zero volume and it's the same intensity throughout the volume range.     Is there a name for this condition? 

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,650 of 12,335
Quote:
darrellpratt - Looking good.  Would like to see more shots from different angles!  Maybe one from under the hood too!

The innards right before testing.  I was impressed that everything tested fine after the build.  I did screw up a few bits while building but caught them quickly.  The parts are bone stock at this point.  I didn't want to mess with any upgraded caps or resistors before knowing what it would sound like stock. 

Basically the same angle.  I just put on a coat of paste wax this morning so I'll get some other glamour shots this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back