Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Feb 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,501 of 12,347
Maybe it's just me, but I've tried a Tung-Sol 6080 (JAN-CTL-6080) that Bottlehead supplied with the Crack amp, and I've also tried a NOS RCA 6AS7G.

The RCA 6AS7G doesn't have the musicality that the 6080 does.... I know other listeners like 6AS7G tubes, but maybe I need to try a different brand or variant.  The Tung-Sol 6080 just seems to have more overall musicality and provides a little more low-end than the 6AS7G from what I can tell.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,506 of 12,347
Quote:
My solution was to buy a pair of Harrison Labs 12dB line-level attenuators. They'll be here on Friday, so I don't have long to wait to see if they do the trick without compromising sound quality.

I just bought a pair of these. They work perfectly. And it may just be my imagination, or it may be the fact that I also installed a new TDK volume pot and the attenuators let me set it to work within its sweet spot, but I actually find that my system sounds better now. The treble isn't quite as hot, making the amp very relaxing to listen to. In any case, the Harrison attenuators are highly recommended.

Best,
Adam

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #1,507 of 12,347
Quote:

I just bought a pair of these. They work perfectly. And it may just be my imagination, or it may be the fact that I also installed a new TDK volume pot and the attenuators let me set it to work within its sweet spot, but I actually find that my system sounds better now. The treble isn't quite as hot, making the amp very relaxing to listen to. In any case, the Harrison attenuators are highly recommended.

Best,
Adam

You guys are using those coming out of what source again?

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,509 of 12,347
Quote:
I'm using an Audio-Gd Ref. 5.32. It puts out 2.5V over RCA.

Huh, I have an HRT Music Streamer II and the manual says it outputs 2.25V. Maybe Ill pick up the 6dB Attenuator and give it a try. Hell Ill just order both the 6dB and 12dB just to have since my gear rotates so frequently its good to have both around!

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,510 of 12,347
Ben,

I would just go for the 12 dB version. Even the 12 dB doesn't make as much of a difference as you would think. I would expect the 6 dB version to be fairly useless, to be honest...

Best regards,
Adam

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #1,512 of 12,347
Quote:

Mine came yesterday and they're working great for me as well. The usable range on my volume pot is now 0 to about 10:00. MUCH more reasonable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back