Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS!
Aug 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #61 of 789
Mine gets VERY hot even when driving my most efficient IEM's at a low volume level. Seems almost as if it is running full-throttle at all times. I am using IEM's that are easily driven even directly from my phone. I probably shouldn't even fool around with an external DAC!

Only warm here, from a PC. Maybe the USB vs OTG connection has something to do with it.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #62 of 789
That's why I am curious whether it can be used with a USB powerbank and USB splitter, like GeekOut V1

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #64 of 789
Only warm here, from a PC. Maybe the USB vs OTG connection has something to do with it.

I will try mine with my computer, although I really don't need another desktop DAC.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #67 of 789
  That's why I am curious whether it can be used with a USB powerbank and USB splitter, like GeekOut V1

GO works fine straight out of the phone with otg usb adapter, but at 0.7A of current drain - your smartphone won't be happy (got it below, GO450 with my Note 4, driving MSR7).

Will be a good comparison with my other usb DACs.  Btw, I'm getting this little guy: http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/portapow-usb-power-monitor-v2/ to monitor current draw, so we will know for sure!

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #69 of 789
BTW, it is amplifying quite a bit. 2 or 3 clicks up on my iPhone + Aegis = ~50% volume with iPhone alone.

That's why, as you mentioned before, they should have implemented gain switch.  I talked to Cozoy/Shozy rep a few weeks ago, and they intentionally didn't implement any controls to keep it very slim, simple, and sealed (isolation to prevent any interference).  In their next model they should implement gain switch and playback controls :)

I should have my review unit in a few days, but from all the impressions it sounds like a good interface to drive either high impedance cans or planar magnetic cans.  Not really for sensitive or efficient IEMs.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #71 of 789
The Aegis was recognized immediately by my Linux desktop computer audio and sounds very good. It does, however, still get very, very warm. I really don't think it is a good match for smartphone/IEM use due to the high power drain. It seems the Astrapi is a better choice for smartphones if an external DAC is desired.

It seems to vary its output voltage inversely to the input, ie: lower input voltages seem to develop more amp output, higher input voltages seem to yield less output. For example, the volume setting on my smartphone had to be much lower for the same listening level than that of my computer (using the same phones).

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #72 of 789
Ok, before we get into a downward spiral here...

twister6: You and I had very similar interactions with Cozoy reps. I can appreciate their desire to maintain an isolated audio path while minimizing size, however a low gain implementation would be a great addition.

HiFlight: I've been listening to this with my iPhone 5s and Heaven VII for about an hour now, streaming 256kbps music. It's just warm to the touch - not remotely close to hot.

Wyd4: Again, mine isn't hot. avitron142 reported his wasn't hot. Seems like something's up with HiFlight's Aegis or his particular setup.

SOME GENERAL COMMENTS
Volume adjustment with my iPhone 5s is as follows for me with FA Heaven VII standing in for a generalized IEM @ 24ohm / 106dB:
  • 1 click is good for low-listening levels
  • 2-3 clicks are good for medium listening levels
  • 4-5 clicks are getting pretty loud
  • The above was with typical modern recording levels for rock music
  • For less compressed music, such as modern composition, I was able to set the volume higher
  • There's not much I can't tell any difference between 2 & 3 clicks, 4 & 5 clicks, etc. - not sure why the volume increase isn't more linear seems like the Aegis has discrete volume steps
  • Apple's coarse-grained volume adjustment is partially to blame here and using the slider instead of just clicking will help Well, that's what I thought should happen, but instead I get discrete jumps in volume as I drag my finger over the volume slider - definitely not linear

Battery drain should be expected. Expecting power-free decoding and amplification is unreasonable IMHO.

Cheers,
Nikolaus

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #73 of 789
The Aegis was recognized immediately by my Linux desktop computer audio and sounds very good. It does, however, still get very, very warm. I really don't think it is a good match for smartphone/IEM use due to the high power drain. It seems the Astrapi is a better choice for smartphones if an external DAC is desired.

It seems to vary its output voltage inversely to the input, ie: lower input voltages seem to develop more amp output, higher input voltages seem to yield less output. For example, the volume setting on my smartphone had to be much lower for the same listening level than that of my computer (using the same phones).

Again, mine is nowhere close to being hot after over an hour of use.  I'd suggest contacting Cozoy!

Oh yeah, Aegis is recognized very quickly by my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

And I agree that volume control is much easier with a computer, as you can control the volume at the system level and also within your music app.

I'm going to refrain on commenting on audio quality yet - not because I don't like it but because I want to get used to it and compare it to some other sources first.

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #74 of 789
Anybody think that this little bad boy can drive some power-hungry cans? I know volume != impedance, but one can only wonder...

After I recover from that eardrum issue I'll check it out with my AKG K7XX - plenty power hungry there. If someone else can try it with their Sennheiser's I would greatly appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back