Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS!
Aug 11, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #46 of 789
That is a good news!  A few questions, can you drive your PM-1 with it and can it drive it with authority?  Also, with Astrapi there was a slight delay when you connect it to the phone before the HO is enabled, is it the same with Aegis?

It does drive my PM1 with authority. No issues there. What I have found troubling is that it is quite power-hungry and ran my phone (LG G2) from fully charged to empty in slightly less thanl 5 hours, which is unacceptable to me. It runs very warm which IMO, equates to heat = wasted power. I do think it will be a very nice addition to my computer or anything that has an external power supply.

I didn't find the Astrapi to use much more battery power than did the internal amplifier in my phone. The Aegis did connect quickly to my phone, but sometimes I needed to attach it first then plug in my phones.

I think there is a market for both the Astrapi and the Aegis, but given my experience so far, I can't recommend the Aegis/Smartphone combination.

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #47 of 789
It does drive my PM1 with authority. No issues there. What I have found troubling is that it is quite power-hungry and ran my phone (LG G2) from fully charged to empty in slightly less thanl 5 hours, which is unacceptable to me. It runs very warm which IMO, equates to heat = wasted power. I do think it will be a very nice addition to my computer or anything that has an external power supply.

I didn't find the Astrapi to use much more battery power than did the internal amplifier in my phone. The Aegis did connect quickly to my phone, but sometimes I needed to attach it first then plug in my phones.

I think there is a market for both the Astrapi and the Aegis, but given my experience so far, I can't recommend the Aegis/Smartphone combination.

Did the Astrapi have noticeably increased volume vs. your smartphone?

Does the Aegis have noticeably increased volume vs. your smartphone?

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #48 of 789
It is possible to connect Aegis to external powerbank AND to an iPhone?

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #50 of 789
Does it support ASIO or WASAPI when used on PC?

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #51 of 789
  Does it support ASIO or WASAPI when used on PC?

yup it does 
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #52 of 789

I will have to refresh my memory when a/b comparing Aegis and Astrapi.  It has been awhile since I used Astrapi.

Not happy about the comment regarding power drain, though not surprised either.  Increased output power comes at a cost.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #53 of 789

My Astrapi deliveres about twice the volume for a given volume setting on my phone. The Aegis delivers a much higher volume at the same setting, but I am questioning whether my Aegis is running at max output all the time considering how hot it gets and the fact that my battery is dropping just over 20% per hour when using the Aegis. With the Astrapi, it uses about 4-5% per hour.

I should add that my LG G2 has one of the highest battery run times of recent smartphone offerings.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #54 of 789
I will have to refresh my memory when a/b comparing Aegis and Astrapi.  It has been awhile since I used Astrapi.

Not happy about the comment regarding power drain, though not surprised either.  Increased output power comes at a cost.

I'm betting Astrapi has minimal (if any) volume increase, thus little battery drain. This would be similar to the Calyx PaT I'm testing.

Aegis is obviously drawing more power and warming up. I'm better it's just drawing more power to drive the PM-1. Wondering if it'll heat up less and use less battery when driving less demanding IEM/HP. Guess I'll find out soon!

:beerchug:

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #55 of 789
So I finally plug them into my PC with my Dunu Titan 1... and blew out my eardrums. Nothing to do with Cozoy - the default startup volume of JRiver was set to -1. Seriously, now my head is spinning, and I can't even listen to any music without a migraine.... nice job JRiver 
mad.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #58 of 789
  Warning for those who use IEM's - the amp in this thing is no joke - set your PC volume to 4 (out of 100); at least by the Titan 1, 6/100 is already very loud.

And here's why it drains a smartphone battery so fast...

Mayhaps it would be good to implement a low gain / high gain on this little bugger!

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #60 of 789
I'm betting Astrapi has minimal (if any) volume increase, thus little battery drain. This would be similar to the Calyx PaT I'm testing.

Aegis is obviously drawing more power and warming up. I'm better it's just drawing more power to drive the PM-1. Wondering if it'll heat up less and use less battery when driving less demanding IEM/HP. Guess I'll find out soon!

:beerchug:

Mine gets VERY hot even when driving my most efficient IEM's at a low volume level. Seems almost as if it is running full-throttle at all times. I am using IEM's that are easily driven even directly from my phone. I probably shouldn't even fool around with an external DAC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back