Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS!
Sep 16, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #556 of 789
Sep 16, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #557 of 789
Very good review Alex - and fair grading based on pros and cons.

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #560 of 789
Have to say, the Aegis sounds dreadful straight out of the box! Thankfully it improved noticeably within the first 30 minutes. I've never heard such dramatic changes - it started off sounding flat and thick, but not anymore!

Ha-ha wow I would have penned mine as sounding flat and lean out of the box.

Really enjoying mine now.

Would love to compare it with a red swiss army dap I know of :wink:

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #561 of 789
Have to say, the Aegis sounds dreadful straight out of the box! Thankfully it improved noticeably within the first 30 minutes. I've never heard such dramatic changes - it started off sounding flat and thick, but not anymore!

Gotta go with Wyd4. Didn't notice any major changes in sound with Aegis.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #564 of 789
I trust Lachlan's ears though so there must have been something in it.

Perhaps the dac had a different anomaly or the combination of k10 and aegis were going until the dac settled.

I have only tried mine with koss porta pro and asg2.5

You might be onto something regarding the K10s. Sensitive CIEMs will likely be more prone to subtle sound differences than headphones so maybe it depends on what people used in those first few minutes.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #566 of 789
Regards battery drain issues. I kind of see it down the middle, on the one hand it's not ideal for portable use if it's draining the battery of the transport heavily, on the other, if you want this form factor and wish it to have the power to drive more full-sized cans then the battery drain can't be avoided. At present these are kind of mutually exclusive goals, so either you get something like the HA-2/GOV2+ with an indwelling battery and compromise on form factor, or you go form factor and compromise on battery. No right or wrong to it, only the priorities of the user. In the case of the latter you can at least ameliorate things with an extended battery or wireless charging (in the case of the iPhone I'd get one of the battery packs with memory expansion I think). I have the HA-2 and the Dragonfly 1.2, so I tend to pick and choose depending on the scenario. With the Pebble Time Steel and being able to control UAPP from the watch I find myself mostly grabbing the HA-2, since I'm not needing to mess with the phone all the time.

I think it was Onkyo who recently announced a DAP with both the new Sabre DAC and a Sabre output stage/amp, be interesting to see how that pans out, I'm hoping the vertical integration there has some payoffs, battery life being one. Having recently heard the new Sabre chip in the GOV2 I was pretty impressed with how it sounds in a (presumed) decent implementation. EDIT: Yes, Onkyo/Pioneer DAP. EDIT: Did some more reading at ESS and battery savings are one of the benefits they are touting.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #567 of 789
Regards battery drain issues. I kind of see it down the middle, on the one hand it's not ideal for portable use if it's draining the battery of the transport heavily, on the other, if you want this form factor and wish it to have the power to drive more full-sized cans then the battery drain can't be avoided. At present these are kind of mutually exclusive goals, so either you get something like the HA-2/GOV2+ with an indwelling battery and compromise on form factor, or you go form factor and compromise on battery. No right or wrong to it, only the priorities of the user. In the case of the latter you can at least ameliorate things with an extended battery or wireless charging (in the case of the iPhone I'd get one of the battery packs with memory expansion I think). I have the HA-2 and the Dragonfly 1.2, so I tend to pick and choose depending on the scenario. With the Pebble Time Steel and being able to control UAPP from the watch I find myself mostly grabbing the HA-2, since I'm not needing to mess with the phone all the time.

I just went to Hiroshima to visit a headphone shop and listened to music for about 3 hours with the Note 4 /Aegis and made several message exchanges and map checking for a spot to grab a bite.
I have active background that kills my battery yet I'm still at 32%

That's a real world test for me.  Can somebody else with a Android share a real world experience because aside from folks who ride trains and listen to music constantly (even they would likely have a back-up battery) they can charge when they get to the office.

I paid for my unit btw and use the Fiio e18 a lot lately for more power so I don't give a **** if COZOY is happy or sad with me...never was  but the battery drain issue got a test run today....not as bad when out and about...not what I imagined.

EDIT:
I was using IEM ASG 2.5

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #568 of 789
I tend to agree with HBB. I use my phone pretty heavily and am paranoid about running out of juice, so I keep chargers everywhere (home, car, office) and also keep a battery pack in my man bag. I just top off as needed throughout the day. My main concern is the limited volume control with iDevices. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #569 of 789
I personally could live with the volume issues.  Kaisertone fixes those, and it's a pretty good app to use.

The battery kills it for me though.  It'll drain a 100% battery in around 5 hours on an iPhone5S - real world test.  Same real world test with iPhone by itself is 4+ times that amount (the test I ran was close to 20 hours).  Even if it could be limited to a 10 hour drain - that would make it really worth while.  5 for me is too short.  

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #570 of 789
  I tend to agree with HBB. I use my phone pretty heavily and am paranoid about running out of juice, so I keep chargers everywhere (home, car, office) and also keep a battery pack in my man bag. I just top off as needed throughout the day. My main concern is the limited volume control with iDevices. 

I have OCD...pretty bad (remember the theming thread...we all got some of that to even do that
wink.gif
) I have a job and a gf and stuff to do. My on ear time is a few hours at a time. I got a way to charge up if I have to. A phone is an emergency device too in case of ...emergency.  I am trying to see the scenario where this would turn my happy rig into a dead brick?  I listened for 5 hours straight with my active wallpaper on and forgot to bring a battery and have no way to top up...a long plane flight maybe? 

1. 5 hours straight...have not done that in a long time...happily, life is very fun and music listening is an additional part of my life not the center
  2. I have a habit of having stuff on a charger when not in use...X5, iphone...everything. I always head out topped up

I guess this is all about lifestyle

EDIT:

Remembering the world does not revolve around me despite my belief that it does.....

If you have ever forgotten to charge your battery or it just died on you cuz you forgot..which may be many....you need to consider that this will make that happen more often and faster. It does need power and it will make your battery drain faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back