Cowon S9 + Sennheiser IE8 = bliss
Jul 16, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

budgetboy

100+ Head-Fier
I have had this setup for portable and home use for a few months now, and am always impressed by the audio quality.

But I have to say that tonight, listening to markus schulz' new album encoded in flac on my s9 through my ie8s, i was completely blown away. You know when you are completely immersed in the music, physically and emotionally, and nothing else matters except for that it keeps on going?

It's so beautiful!
etysmile.gif

Just wanted to thank all of the people at head-fi for helping me find my personal definition of musical bliss. I may spend hours of my life looking for the best headphones, but then I turn on my S9 + IE8s and I realize that screw it, I've got it all.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 37
Glad to see that you're enjoying your setup. Also glad to see that the IE8 is still getting good reception around here.

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 37
Yes, good reception indeed... unlike a certain phone I hear...

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 37
Getting that feeling is always great. I can pretty much reach that state whenever some exciting music starts going on my setup when I'm in the room at night.

On the other hand to reach into the "other" side and get into the "real" emotion as opposed to excitement/happiness takes a lot more time and a lot more "effort" on my end. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 37
smiles, enjoying music is what it's really all about, unless you are a sound engineer, etc.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 37
Hi guys!!! especilly to all COWON lovers and avid fan! im from philippines, since I read the articles about COWON especially COWON S9 which Im using right now, I really want to own this great stuff!. And I got it with my friends through korea.
I can say its the best PMP ( Portable Media Player) ever in this planet, thers no limitation when using this product. Just dragging the movies, files, MP3's without hassle things to do!

Hope guys we all participate to this thread so we can make it alive and help one another when some COWON user problem arise.

Like me, Im still looking fot the best  settings of my BBE and equalizer setting. so guys if you could just help me it would ba a lot of THANKS!  hahaha
see you all guys in this thread!
dt880smile.png

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 37
I'm deciding whether I should get the cowon d2+. I read sound quality is awesome with custom EQ which I hate about my iPod touch. I also have IE8 and loving the sound and really want to try cowon but 2 things really bothering me.

1) I have a mac and I read people have difficulty setting artist and general info for FLAC. General usability with mac is pretty bad - no playlist, hard to edit IDtag(?). Only if cowon updated so mac users can easily create playlists, I'd buy it right now!

2) The one and only touchscreen mp3 I've ever used was the iPod touch and I'm used to the super smooth touchscreen and I read with the d2+ and s9/j3, the experience is not as smooth and some people said it's hard to use without the provided stylus (d2+).

hard choice...

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 37
I have newer UCI (interfaces) than the default ones cowon provides... I think you should have no problem if you use these, as most are very smooth and responsive on my S9... you can also boost the framerate (in effect double the system rendering speed) to make things smoother. Anyone with an S9, I would be happy to upload my system settings and interfaces!

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 37
yea, as stevenswall said, the custom ui's are great.
this site has everything you will ever need for a S9 - http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90

j57park - it's a really great player, I couldn't ask for more. In fact I recently looked on the internet for anything better. I looked at the Touch, the Sony X, Samsung P3, etc and realized that the S9 is my perfect player. But it's not for everyone. It isn't as effortless to use as the touch, but once you learn it it's awesome. Everything sounds better, even mp3s. But FLAC is the best! For tagging flac i use mp3tag, but i dont know if it works on mac. I say look around, find other S9 mac users, ask them or find posts about it. I'm sure there's a way. But if you have doubts, just get the Touch, I'm sure it will deliver if you can live with 400kbps AAC. 

wally26 - I only use custom when I want to isolate an instrument or whatever with the equalizer. I initially tried setting all the enhancements to max, but realized that this gave a far-from-lifelike representation of the music. I typically use BBE Headphone, either of the BBE Viva settings (2 is the same as 1 with a bass boost), or the genre settings. I haven't been disappointed. If your messing with the EQ to try to get the perfect sound and not finding it, I say get new headphones. I highly recommend the IE8s. 

Cravenz & Young Spade - you guys are my kind of audiophiles. its all about fully experiencing the music. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 37
Hi budgetboy

I recently got the S9 and a few days ago I got the IE8's.
It is an amazing combination!
It's the best my music has ever sounded!
I too store my music in FLAC format and I have too say, I've heard details that weren't audible before.

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 37
The S9 does look very nice! So how do you transfer music into it? Does it come with conversion software?

Quote:
Hi budgetboy

I recently got the S9 and a few days ago I got the IE8's.
It is an amazing combination!
It's the best my music has ever sounded!
I too store my music in FLAC format and I have too say, I've heard details that weren't audible before.

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 37

Quote:
The S9 does look very nice! So how do you transfer music into it? Does it come with conversion software?

Hey Danz03

Music is very easy to transfer. I drag and drop music onto the player but I am aware that you can also use WMP.
It does come with software that is able to convert music/videos and it also has a media player built-in.
The sound quality from the S9 is really something else, best sound I've ever heard from a portible device.

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #15 of 37
Thanks, makes me want to get one right away. This FLAC format, does one have to buy them as FLAC or can one transfer aiff or wave files into FLAC himself? I wonder if there would be a problem since I use Apple Mac. 
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:
Hey Danz03

Music is very easy to transfer. I drag and drop music onto the player but I am aware that you can also use WMP.
It does come with software that is able to convert music/videos and it also has a media player built-in.
The sound quality from the S9 is really something else, best sound I've ever heard from a portible device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back