Cowon S9 + Sennheiser IE8 = bliss
Aug 18, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #31 of 37
You can find IE8 used for relatively cheap but make sure to do some research on genuine vs fake difference because I seriously think no other IEM has more notoriety as IE8 as far as fakes are concerned.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #32 of 37

[size=medium]Thanks for the links. 
darthsmile.gif
[/size]

[size=medium]Sorry but I'm in a different time zone so I couldn't post this earlier.[/size]

[size=medium]Anyway, as I mentioned before, my Cowon iAudio 9 sounded a lot better than my iPod nano G4 and I was wondering whether it was because of the FLAC (44.1kHz, compression at 8) files. I uploaded some MP3 (192kbps) files into the i9 this morning for comparison, using the UM3Xs for monitoring. The most obvious thing that I noticed was the clarity of FLAC, as I mentioned before, it's like the difference between watching Blu-Ray and DVD on the Play Station 3, there was so much more details and the vocals on the MP3 sounded very harsh in comparison. Usually more details comes with a thinner sound as a trade-off, but FLAC actually sounds a lot fuller at the same time, the kick drum sounded more solid and punchier than the MP3's. Acoustic instruments also sounded more real, with a better sound-stage. [/size]

[size=medium]I then uploaded some of my own recorded music, just piano and vocal, for reference. Very often I can hear some distortion with my iPod when the piano is being played at fff, especially with the higher notes, and the i9 was no exception with MP3s. But when I played the FLAC file of the same recording, there was no distortion, which led me to believe maybe the fault was with MP3s rather than the iPod. I uploaded an aiff file into the i9 for comparison and to my surprise, it doesn't support the format. So, I uploaded the uncompressed aiff file (16bit/48kHz) into my iPod for testing and just like the FLAC file, there was no distortion but somehow, the FLAC on the i9 actually sounded better than the uncompressed aiff on the iPod! Even though the aiff sounded very smooth with good resolution, the FLAC sound was more detailed and it had a nice airy feel to it, making it more intimate sounding.[/size]

[size=medium]Next off, I went back to the original master on my computer playing back both the aiff and FLAC ripped file through the Edirol FA-101, and to my surprise, the FLAC file still sounded better, just like how I heard it on the i9. I thought it's quite strange since FLAC is supposed to be a lossless format, so in theory, it should sound exactly like the original.[/size]

[size=medium]I went on the net and did some research on the FLAC format and what I found out was that FLAC uses LPC (linear prediction coding) to convert the audio samples, so I guess it is possible that it would make it better sounding, similar to how the '1-bit DAC' would improve sound quality by oversampling. So it's great for audiophiles but bad for sound engineers who want to hear a piece of recording the exact way it's meant to sound, not better or worse sounding.[/size]

[size=medium]So my conclusion is, whether FLAC is good or not depends on what one's after. If all one wants is enjoyment in listening to music, then it's great, but for those who want accurate and faithful sound reproduction, it's better off sticking with aiff. Oh, and the Cowon i9 does sound better playing MP3s than the iPod, that's just my personal opinion. 
happy_face1.gif
[/size]

Quote:

Tell me how it turns out! I'l check back in an hour and see how its going 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #33 of 37
cRodz: http://www.computeruniverse.net/urlmapper2.asp?mapurl=/products/e90281946/sennheiser-ie-8-portable.asp&sr=sennheiser+ie8&urlmapped=true&pm=n+US

$266 is only $66 more than you paid for your j3 right? and they are freaking indestructible. the cable is kevlar-coated and replacable, the buds themselves are made of some magic sennheiser plastic that is really durable. Theyre super comfortable and sound awesome. But i must warn you, isolation is nonexistent. They are essentially open earphones. I actually love this fact. I like being able to hear the things around me, and when I need isolation, like for biking, I stick some comply tips on and go. But if great isolation is your thing look elsewhere. Otherwhise, GET THEM! Their dark sound signature really complements the bright tone of cowon's players. :)

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #34 of 37
WOW! I had no idea that flac did that! Regardless of whether its 100% accurate to the original signal or not, I think it sounds great, so thats what I use. But I would have to have a deeper understanding of LPC and the way FLAC uses it to determine if it actually messes with the sound.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t37555.html

I have no idea what theyre talking about. Maybe you can enlighten me.

But about mp3s sounding better on the i9, I don't think that's personal opinion. I think the i9 uses higher-quality components than any iPod. I think that basically anything sounds better out of a Cowon.

Cool results and post. I think it proves two things:

Cowon destroys the iPod in terms of SQ.
FLAC destroys mp3 in terms of SQ.

FLAC, Cowon players, and the IE8s are all Hi-Fi for the digital age, and my audio needs are completely met when using them. I dont need vinyl and a $5,000 sound system. I need a cowon loaded with FLAC and my IE8s. Basically a super-ipod.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #36 of 37
Just wanted to do an update. 3 months later, and i love this combination even more than i did when I first got it.
I now set the EQ to normal for everything, it sounds much more natural. With lesser headphones, I think the effects can be really great, but the IE8s deserve purity.

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #37 of 37

Quote:
Hi guys!!! especilly to all COWON lovers and avid fan! im from philippines, since I read the articles about COWON especially COWON S9 which Im using right now, I really want to own this great stuff!. And I got it with my friends through korea.
I can say its the best PMP ( Portable Media Player) ever in this planet, thers no limitation when using this product. Just dragging the movies, files, MP3's without hassle things to do!

Hope guys we all participate to this thread so we can make it alive and help one another when some COWON user problem arise.

Like me, Im still looking fot the best  settings of my BBE and equalizer setting. so guys if you could just help me it would ba a lot of THANKS!  hahaha
see you all guys in this thread!
dt880smile.png

let me share best eq settings of mine for cowon s9: hint: over all soundstage sounds very similar to p2 with a deeper shade of feeling.
EQ
80 hz - 5 narrow
220hz - 4 wide
1.1khz -7 wide
4.1khz -9 normal
13khz- 12 narrow

BBE+
BBE - 10
Mach3bass - 10
3d sound  - 2
mp enhance - on

SE