Cowon S9 or Apple I-Pod Touch G2
Jan 26, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #62 of 99
Can you play Super Monkey Ball on the S9?!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #63 of 99
as i have understand the cowons players have great headphone out for AMPs and less for headphones.

so if i connect the S9/touch to PICO through the best way, from which one i will get better SQ ? [Details, image, soundstagw, transperent, neatrality, naturality]

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #64 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by KromaXamorK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For wifi, apps or connect to an amp by LOD >>Touch.
Music, vidéo, better SQ by headphone jack >>S9.

Hmm...

I was under the impression that the G2 Touch had the higher quality headphone jack?

Thanks!

-Aaron
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #65 of 99
Probably only for hiss problem because with high sensitivty IEM, since the Classic, iPhone 3G (for which i have) there is nothing, so probably the G2 too.
But it sounded more metallic and colder than Cowon (S9 for this example) that's why I was laughing.
On S9, with high sensitivity IEM, you can notice hiss only in silence but it's the "sound of working" not a hiss problem like a Kenwood HD30/60 or on a Rio Karma when the HDD spinning or when LCD is on.
Plus, Sound on S9 can be improve with EQ which are a lot better quality than iPod.
EQ on iPod is very crappy, it's a shame for this machine, necessary to use only in flat for good listening.

Pila >>When using LOD on iPod sound is much louder, you 'll must use the volume control by headphone jack at least at 80% on S9 or another DAP (iPod included).
By LOD normally EQ doesn't work (in fact a litte bit), by headphone jack you can use EQ with the Pico for example.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #66 of 99
i think the sq of the headphone out has much more to do than with hiss. the g2 touch probably has the lowest hiss on the market now but it can drive iems also better than most portables out there. whether or not you like it sound signature is up to you but it will drive a better stage, with better bass and probably trade off or same as s9 in a few other categories.

as for eq: ipod is sorely underclassed. i use electronic eq with it to sparkle up the highs but i wish it had a real eq - it does not.

my d2 however did not either. it had some decent supermach settings but eq was a silly 5 band affair that had gimmicks such as slidable settings up to 11hz or so, but was far from a proper implementation.

both fail on eq, but cowon fail noticeably less

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #67 of 99
Soundstage in nomade use is negligible compared to the quality of the sound itself.
Compared with my D2 (European D2 less stronger in volume between American D2), S9 (European S9 with American preset) have no bass roll-off and in high volume it didnt have distortion like the D2 (after 32 on a K701 for example).
Once again, overall for music only or video with SE530 the S9 is better.
Now if Aaron wants to play game, go on internet at first and listen music or watch video in second, iTouch is much better for this use and the difference between this two DAP dissapear cause he will be enjoy by his machine.
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #68 of 99
Just a few things... the EQ on the ipod touch is normal and decent but not customizable. It is certainly not bad as it does what it should do. I am using the classic EQ setting on the ipod touch right now. It's v-shaped with recessed mids and I havent noticed a clipping problems. This was suppose to be a problem in the past. Though there is a remedy for that too. What people are looking for are 3d effects and bass booster options. The ipod touch does not have those options.

2nd.. the touch does not skip with ALAC files anymore. Apple just released a firmware update. It did before but does not skip anymore.

Now I would just get the touch because its user fanbase is huge. There is huge amount of apps for it. Plus you can download podcasts for free. And it just has alot more options. The ipod touch is a pocket pc whereas the S9 will be nothing more then a pmp.

I know you are only interested in audio playback but the versatility of the ipod touch is something you will appreciate later on. The touch does have gapless playback though and comes in 32gb flavours. I dont know about gapless on the S9. Again just a minor feature but still... it also has a line out dock (wich I think sounds exactly the same as its headphone out).

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #69 of 99
S9 does have awesome sound quality and superb battery life. i was thinking of getting the S9 or the cowon O2. The S9 16 gig is about the same price as the O2 16 gig so decided not to buy any of them till later. i suggest the S9 because i have tried both out and i pefered the S9 over the itouch.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #70 of 99
Jan 28, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #72 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the market for a pmp for video still undecided on what to get.

I have the Cowon A2, when it came out I'd say it was one of, if not the best pmp on the market. but currently, I'd say there is no pmp on the market that hits home on every aspect. though they came out with the A3, it's still a bit bulky, especially the 60gb and I've read the .mkv high def playback is choppy. then you've got archos which I've heard it plays .mkv pretty well, but you gotta pay for each additional codec. plus they don't look that great and i don't know how good they're sound quality is but i'll guess it's not on par with cowon. S9 is not a true pmp, definitely not for video, can't play .mkv although other formats are fine. I too am looking for one to replace my A2, but honestly, there's nothing. now if cowon put the A3 and the S9 together then we'd have a killer product with a 4'' AMOLED 800x480, 64gb flash drive and line out that can play high def h264 .mkv. but i think i digress form the thread's purpose.. sorry

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #73 of 99
So, are you guys telling me that the 2G Touch uses a higher quality Headphone jack -- which in-turn, outputs less distortion for a noticeably "cleaner" experience, particularly when using highly sensative IEM's?

Thanks!

-Aaron
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #74 of 99
i also want one of them. but i am waiting on a bigger storage space. i think 32gb max is still not enough. i want a s9 or touch with like 100gb

but is a lod (ipod) always better then a headphone jack connect amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back