Cowon S9 or Apple I-Pod Touch G2
Jan 22, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #46 of 99
I must say the Ipod Touch 2G is a neat device. I use it as a portable player and as control using iPeng for my Squeezebox and it works great.

As for the comments regarding problems playing ALAC files, I play ALAC files on my iPod touch 2G and iPod Nano 4G and they play with no problem, altough sometimes they skip a little in the Touch if I'm using Safari at the same time, but if the music is the only thing playing, it plays flawlessly.

For the ALAC files, I use EAC to rip CD's to FLAC (becuase Squeezebox has great support for FLAC files), and then use dbpoweramp in Windows XP to convert them to ALAC for those songs I want lossless in my iPod.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #47 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is up to you. some people find that music without bass resolution only thump is neutral. others think etchy treble is neutral sounding. it is up to you. some people find the cowon to have a good stage and others think it rubbish (me included) and vica versa with the ipod - you will not get straight answers, only very loud shouting voices.

Does the D2 from Cowon also offer the BBE 3D Surround enhancement, the same as the Cowon S9? BTW that's fine if you've never experienced an S9, I'm just curious to know whether the D2 even offers that feature as an option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichonCalavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say the Ipod Touch 2G is a neat device. I use it as a portable player and as control using iPeng for my Squeezebox and it works great.

As for the comments regarding problems playing ALAC files, I play ALAC files on my iPod touch 2G and iPod Nano 4G and they play with no problem, altough sometimes they skip a little in the Touch if I'm using Safari at the same time, but if the music is the only thing playing, it plays flawlessly.

Hmm...

So, you ONLY experience your songs skipping while using ALAC files? The player works fine for both AIFF and WAV?

Or, has anyone even really tried?

Thanks!

-Aaron

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #48 of 99
the d2 offers 3d surround, bbe and mach bass [or something like that].

and he had problems with the ALAC files only when while he was using the safari at the same time.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #49 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and he had problems with the ALAC files only when while he was using the safari at the same time.

Right, but the reason I ask; is because that post more or less implies an insufficient amount of memory when being unable to multi-task, as mentioned. But, for that to make sense, larger formats (uncompressed, in this case) would also need to be experiencing those same issues as well at even a greater level than ALAC, actually -- hense my question from above
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm...

Seems I might as well flip a coin being how there are equally as many flaws w/ both DAPS, when even considering JUST the music aspect alone
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #51 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, but the reason I ask; is because that post more or less implies an insufficient amount of memory when being unable to multi-task, as mentioned. But, for that to make sense, larger formats (uncompressed, in this case) would also need to be experiencing those same issues as well at even a greater level than ALAC, actually -- hense my question from above
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm...

Seems I might as well flip a coin being how there are equally as many flaws w/ both DAPS, when even considering JUST the music aspect alone
frown.gif

I will admit the GUI, build quality and customer service are better on the touch. And if you really want some great sound, you can always use the nice line out of the touch with a nice little amp. like a headsix or a mustang p51, then the money starts leaving the safety of your wallet fast
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #52 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will admit the GUI, build quality and customer service are better on the touch. And if you really want some great sound, you can always use the nice line out of the touch with a nice little amp. like a headsix or a mustang p51, then the money starts leaving the safety of your wallet fast
biggrin.gif

True, I suppose a SQ option later down the road, should I need it. I guess the S9 lacks this capability?

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #53 of 99
s9 should drive an amp fine if you want it and an amp to go portably: many here do. however, if the cowon s9 is anything like its predecessors, it will not drive an amp as well as other mp3 players.

cowon deliver crystal clear highs and other than that a low thd or great clean signal to top volume usually but fail in other areas that make it a hard one to really amp out.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #54 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
s9 should drive an amp fine if you want it and an amp to go portably: many here do. however, if the cowon s9 is anything like its predecessors, it will not drive an amp as well as other mp3 players.

cowon deliver crystal clear highs and other than that a low thd or great clean signal to top volume usually but fail in other areas that make it a hard one to really amp out.

With what's bolded...

May I ask, why?

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #55 of 99
i should have said as some other mp3 players. the one thing that cowon players lack even when driving an amp is a wide separation from left to right. players such as old irivers, the ipod line, to some extent the new sony have one thing in common: above average left to right clean signals.

cowon does one thing above and beyond though: from headphone out, best high volume driving power for amps. great in fact.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #56 of 99
I think I'm going w/ an I-Pod...

For these reasons listed mainly (no order):

-Wider soundstage
-Multiple playlists
-Better amp.
-Less "hiss" background
-Available at any local Best Buy for an EASY (and FAST) 30-day guarantee
return!
-External speakers (for after hrs. during work)

I know the "Wider" soundstage + "Less hiss" reasons are more subjective than objective, but after having read a number of reviews and comments from everyone, (including those who have chosen to voice their opinion on public forums) I feel confident that such is true, since EVERY post I've read (thus far) had indicated Cowon players as being "colder" -- containing frequencies as less vibrant by comparison. And, since the S9 has been said to distort at higher volumes, leads me to believe that its internal amp. wasn't manufactured as "clean" as it could of been, unlike the D2 for example.

On a side note as well...

I do think the S9 will (In all liklihood) vastly benefit from an additional year or so -- for mostly firmware purposes.

Please, let me know what you guys think after having read some of my thoughts on the matter
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

-Aaron

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #57 of 99
"channel separation" "wider soundstage" in a headphone does not make much sense. It is fun, but not realistic. Music production takes into account that music will be mainly played back on speakers and the listener hears some crossfeed. This "wider soundstage" in headphones is fake. But yes, between the two, the Touch is the better choice if you are not planning to play ALAC.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #59 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"channel separation" "wider soundstage" in a headphone does not make much sense. It is fun, but not realistic. Music production takes into account that music will be mainly played back on speakers and the listener hears some crossfeed. This "wider soundstage" in headphones is fake. But yes, between the two, the Touch is the better choice if you are not planning to play ALAC.

Er...

I think what most people are referring to when mentioning, "soundstage" performance via headphones; is (more or less) the amount of depth regarding mid-range frequencies vs. that of another DAP -- perhaps just another way of describing a kind of sound signature variance. Because, you're right -- the term. doesn't really seem to apply when utilizing only 2 channels.

As for ALAC...

I'm assuming you're once more addressing the skipping issue (caused by either a hardware/firmware malfunction) during playback, as to why ALAC is a bad format choice for the G2 Touch? If this is the case, then perhaps I need more clarification, for I was under the impression that ALAC performed fine when other apps. (Safari, for example) weren't running simultaneously?

Or...

Are you saying it's the format itself -- ALAC? That, the developed algorithm within is what's causing the skipping, and instability for some players; I-Pods for instance?

Thanks!

-Aaron
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #60 of 99
So ipod touch 2g or s9?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back