Cowon S9 or Apple I-Pod Touch G2
Feb 17, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #91 of 99
Oh also note this: Firmware 2.2.1 for iPod touch/iPhone fixed the ALAC skipping issues.

There's too many mixed opinions on here, can't decide whether to get a Cowon S9 or an iPod touch 2Gen (Probably 3Gen when released)
Simply, which has a more richer, fuller sound when using headphone out (No EQ)

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #92 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just chiming in but...

Personally, if you want just pure audio quality through the headphone out, I would get the S9. If you intend to get a amp, you could still get the S9, but I think coming out from the LOD, the Touch is better, but that's just imo from the listening sessions I've had with a friend's S9. All flat EQ by the way...no EQ, BBE, or MachBass.

Seems the HP out on the G2 Touch is better though, is it not? And, on paper the G2 has far less bass roll-off than S9 as well? So, how does it make more sense to combine the SE530's w/ a DAP that supports less bass?

Thanks!

-Aaron
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #93 of 99
the touch has no bass roll off as far as i can tell. i will put my rmaa tests up to prove it.

as far as lod is concerned: it is a common misperception that the player is performing the music. it is to a small degree but its on board amp is being replaced by a dedicated amp. if it maybe sounds better it is likely that you are not listening for the right things.

the ipod touch 2g in no area loses to the s9 for sound quality.

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #94 of 99
I did say IMO (in my opinion) by the way...doesn't mean I'm right. It's just what I like better. Personally I don't decide by what others say about the players nor the statistics behind it. I base my decision on hearing it with my gear, and finding which player sounds better with my gear to my ears. It's not the best way of testing players, but at least I'm happy with the player that I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems the HP out on the G2 Touch is better though, is it not? And, on paper the G2 has far less bass roll-off than S9 as well? So, how does it make more sense to combine the SE530's w/ a DAP that supports less bass?

Thanks!

-Aaron
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #97 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish these two players could be mashed together into the perfect player.

Hopefully Apple can implement an OLED screen onto the 3rd gen iPod touch, and that would make my life complete
biggrin.gif
I don't use EQ's much, so a custom EQ won't do me any good.

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #98 of 99
Had this same problem, got the S9. Totally satisfied. I decided I wasn't getting an amp a while back because it just makes life more complicated. Like I would only get the touch because of the ease of use and if you get an amp, your making it a lot less convenient. Plus it takes the price of your gear way up. Also, I think its missing the point when you compare the S9' sound quality on the "normal" setting. Once you try the presets, or make your perfect EQs, you'll never go back to listening without it. Seriously, neutrality is overrated. As stated before, BBE Viva and BBE Headphone are really great, and there's like 26 others. And the guy who talked about the EQ was talking about a completely different device, the D2. That's like me trying the iPod nano and saying I was dissappointed with the Apps. There is a seven Band EQ with 24 volume settings for each band, plus you can choose one of five frequencies per band. Then there are two other screens full of effects, including BBE which is a professional sound enhancement, Mach3Bass, 3D surround, stereo enhancement, etc. You can save up to 4 presets - basically, you have complete control over the sound. Expecting every headphone to perform well with the same sound (iPod Touch) is just crazy. You can customize the sound completely with the S9. And it never sound unnatural or anything, unless you put all the effects up to ten. And don't listen to the guy with his "lab research" and "legit science" about sound quality. You can't prove sound quality in a lab or with graphs. If I thought that was true, I never would have bought my IE8s, which I love, because the frequency response graphs show that its far from neutral. Everyone can agree that sound is completely subjective. But if you get the Touch, your limiting yourself to one sound (disregarding the crappy eq) while with the S9 you have endless possibilities. I doubt anyone would like the sound of the S9 on the default settings, because the S9 is all about customization. So do you want to be part of the crowd, or do you want your pmp to be all about you? The choice is yours.

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #99 of 99
Oh yeah and on the subject of matching IEMs to players, you want a brighter-sounding player if your getting darker IEMs. The S9 goes perfectly with my IE8s because the IE8s are bass-heavy and the S9 is less so. So if your getting SE530s, take into account how people describe their sound. If they're described as dark or bassy, the S9 would make a great match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back