Cowon S9 or Apple I-Pod Touch G2
Jan 21, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #31 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anacondastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but in terms of SQ the gap is as far & wide for the S9 from the Apple. I simply cannot listen to two songs in succession w/o wanting to scream on the touch.

So your oppinion is that the S9 sounds significantly better than the Touch?

Are you using lossless files on both, and with what headphones?

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #32 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So your oppinion is that the S9 sounds significantly better than the Touch?

Are you using lossless files on both, and with what headphones?

I used LAME ripped mp3's at 320kps Super fi.5 Pro, believe me regardless of the source the touch is not and was never meant to be a high quality playback device; it's a mass marketed (massive appeal) gadget. I wish Apple would just make a limited edition Audiophile iPod for those of us you want the best of both worlds.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #33 of 99
Quote:

I used LAME ripped mp3's at 320kps Super fi.5 Pro, believe me regardless of the source the touch is not and was never meant to be a high quality playback device; it's a mass marketed (massive appeal) gadget. I wish Apple would just make a limited edition Audiophile iPod for those of us you want the best of both worlds.

Have you had a chance to compare your new S9 to the H340 listed in your sig (provided you still own one)?

I had a H320 back in the day, and it's become one of my benchmarks for DAP sound.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #34 of 99
Quote:

To these ears the touch is a great utilitarian device that plays music too! But it is in no way a discerning or audiophile grade music playback device.

I disagree, but these things are matters of opinion. I owned the Rio Karma (considered one of the "benchmarks") for a long time, and was unable to find anything for several years that was of comparable quality, including the previous generations of ipods. I feel that lossless files on the touch 2g are indeed "audiophile grade" with a decent set of phones. With a portable amp, it's even better. As they say, though, YMMV.
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #35 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you had a chance to compare your new S9 to the H340 listed in your sig (provided you still own one)?

I had a H320 back in the day, and it's become one of my benchmarks for DAP sound.

It's a toss up really, but if I had to pick a winner I'd give it to the S9 or as I am more accustom to the iAudio A7, these are with settings on normal, even though on the 300 series the tone controls cannot be totally defeated (turned off).

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #36 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, but these things are matters of opinion. I owned the Rio Karma (considered one of the "benchmarks") for a long time, and was unable to find anything for several years that was of comparable quality, including the previous generations of ipods. I feel that lossless files on the touch 2g are indeed "audiophile grade" with a decent set of phones. With an portable amp, it's even better. As they say, though, YMMV.
smile.gif

We agree to disagree.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #37 of 99
Quote:

It's a toss up really, but if I had to pick a winner I'd give it to the S9 or as I am more accustom to the iAudio A7, these are with settings on normal, even though on the 300 series the tone controls cannot be totally defeated (turned off).

Now I want my S9 even more :p

Damn wait. I likely won't have it till mid next week. Le sigh.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #38 of 99
Quote:

Is that the touch 2g? And are you using BBE effects? Because with my shure e530 the s9 without the bbe effects sounded pretty average, with a narrow sound stage and less bass quality than my touch 2g. Also the s9 amp distorted when you pushed it, and it had less sparkle on the high end than my touch and zune. With bbe effects the sound gets better though, especially bbe viva and bbe headphone
biggrin.gif

I actually thought the s9 "base" sq was a step below my faves- touch 2g, zune, clip. I was more impressed with the beautiful screen of course YMMV.

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #39 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats easy, touch 2g has less hiss. S9 has about the same as 2/3 gen nano or d2 which is not much. But if you engage the eq on the s9, more hiss
frown.gif
Touch 2g is most quiet I have listened to with e530, clip /fuze is second, then the zune the the rest are pretty good except older sonys and old meizu. Oh and some old irivers from what I remember. I almost forgot about the kenwoods I had VERY hissy.

Sorry, I tend to go overboard sometimes, but yes touch 2g hisses less then S9
redface.gif

You say; when you "engage" the EQ the "hiss" then becomes greater. Now, does the EQ you're talking about -- include the BBE Sound effects as well? Or, are you referring to ONLY the adjustable, user EQ?

I ask, because I would likely only use the Mach Bass, and 3D surround features, if any?

Quote:

I just got my S9 today and it doesn't even come close to the UI (in terms of intuitiveness and response time) of the itouch, but in terms of SQ the gap is as far & wide for the S9 from the Apple. I simply cannot listen to two songs in succession w/o wanting to scream on the touch. I wish Cowon would implement cross feed circuitry into their design in my opinion that would be a coup.

To these ears the touch is a great utilitarian device that plays music too! But it is in no way a discerning or audiophile grade music playback device.

Why? What's is so hideous about the G2 Touch's SQ vs. that of the S9? Can you elaborate a bit for me?

Thanks!

-Aaron

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #42 of 99
Which one of the players have better SQ? in terms of details, natural, neutral and etc. ???

cause i have heard that the cowon player are much better, just way off the apple's players.
is it true? or that the things have changed with the new 2nd Generation iTouch????

can someone one tell me about comparision which he did between both with lossless files? [not these MP3 files...] is it realy an "Audiophile Grade" music player [the iTouch 2nd Gen]???

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #43 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say; when you "engage" the EQ the "hiss" then becomes greater. Now, does the EQ you're talking about -- include the BBE Sound effects as well? Or, are you referring to ONLY the adjustable, user EQ?

I ask, because I would likely only use the Mach Bass, and 3D surround features, if any?

Why? What's is so hideous about the G2 Touch's SQ vs. that of the S9? Can you elaborate a bit for me?

Thanks!

-Aaron

BBE effects didn't effect hiss, just the eq. I think the mach bass did a little if turned up really high.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #44 of 99
so which player provide/produce more details, tonality, imaging and neutrality?? [without EQ]

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #45 of 99
it is up to you. some people find that music without bass resolution only thump is neutral. others think etchy treble is neutral sounding. it is up to you. some people find the cowon to have a good stage and others think it rubbish (me included) and vica versa with the ipod - you will not get straight answers, only very loud shouting voices.

the fact are that the ipod touch is according to machine testing one of the best reproducers of test scenarios in the industry. what you do with that information is up to you. personally, i started in cowon and meizu and hate ipod camp and then heard the original touch and sold my cowon very soon afterward as it was only better in two areas (less hiss and when pushed to very high volumes, less distortion) - however, the hiss was nearly moot as i used the touch and cowon with impedence cable (sorry, cowon d2) which made the hiss inaudible and never with iems listened to volumes over about 1/5.

i won't even try to support the touch anymore as no matter what is said, no matter if the best studio in the world took it to heart that the ipod was the best sounding device, on these forums that harbour many apple haters, it would always be rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back