Cowon Plenue R2
Apr 22, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #181 of 296
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #182 of 296
I don't think Cowon are different to any other Manufacturer. They have the occasional DOA device but it doesn't seem to be that prevalent (Sunova seems to have been really unlucky). I've got the D & D2 and haven't had problems with either. You get the occasional software glitch which Cowon usually corrects with Firmware updates. Cowons have many idiosyncrasies due to using older parts or connections but the sound is rarely condemned by users.

A lot of the time it is the person who actually buys it that's at fault, not knowing how to use them or expecting usability to be like Android. I bought my D2 as an open box for £160 and there's not much wrong with it bar a few software glitches which firmware updates should correct. It still had the film on the screen and looked like it hadn't been touched.​
Do you have the R2 as well as the D2? If so, could you post impressions of any sound comparisons?

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #185 of 296
Not currently in stock but that is the regular price.

Edit: Also a quick search often finds discount codes for AMP3 so you might save another 10% if you look around the voucher sites.
Thanks. Got in touch with them and they said R2 won't be available until mid May at least. So I'm just gonna wait for now.

May 5, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #186 of 296
So I ended up getting the R2 this week-end from AMP3 UK. I found a 15% off coupon so my player ended up being 384 pounds shipped (around 440 euros) so I'm happy with that price!

It should arrive in a couple of days!

May 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #189 of 296
Does anyone know if it's possible to export the EQ settings from the R to the R2? I was gonna do them all manually but if there's a file I can copy, that'd be easier!

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #191 of 296
Anyone else having optical signal cut out from 5:00 to 12:00? I am trying to get my favourite albums recorded to MD via the R2 but it is a disaster with repeated optical signal drops.
I don't actually have the R2 to provide an answer, but just to be clear (since I'm not entirely sure what you were meaning, so others might not be either): do you mean that the signal drops out between 5 min and 12 min of playback? That's a very strange bug. I've previously owned a number of Plenues and had no problems with using the optical out to feed a Mojo.

By the way, I enjoyed your D2 review on Headfonics. How does the R2 compare to the D2 in terms of sound? Is it the same sound but just with the bigger screen and other improvements on the larger Plenues (USB dac, 10 band EQ etc)?

May 22, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #192 of 296
I am about to finish the R2 review and hopefully headofnics will publish it soon. I mean that the optical signal seems to drop frequently. I am using the same cable I use with various CD players and home Decks. With the Cowon it drops optical signal. It isn't a big bugger because I usually record MDs from re-writable CDs, but since it is a feature, I'd prefer it to be rock solid.

May 26, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #194 of 296
Anyone care to share their settings? I just picked up a pair of the 2020 Solaris. I previously was just using Jazz setting, but doesn't sound right.
I am using this Jeteffrct setting for my Plenue 2 mkii. The sound is balanced, very dynamic, detailed and wide:

20200516_090511.png

Those user jeteffect setting are from the Cowon Plenue Korea website. You can have a look, there a lot of other settings

http://support.cowon.com/v2_board.php?id=USER_EQ&no=77&category=&page=1&search_type=&search_keyword=

http://support.cowon.com/v2_board.php?id=USER_EQ

May 26, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #195 of 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Back