Cowon Plenue R2
Jul 9, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #241 of 296
Yeah I upgraded to the latest firmware so still have crackles at the moment. It’s quiet, but there, although gets drowned out if there is a true gapless transition between tracks - I.e. if the music is continuous between tracks then I can’t hear it, only if there’s a bit of silence between songs.

Comparing to M11Pro is tricky - both very capable DAPs. I just sold the M11Pro last week and used the funds to get the R2, so the memory’s fresh but still memory only!

M11Pro had bigger soundstage, smoother treble (so far) and also had great dynamics; maybe better, but I would need to hear side by side to sure on that one. Overall the timbre and mood are quite different; M11Pro has an immersive sense of space and clean, pristine feel to it; like your ears have jumped into a fresh mountain lake, it can take you out of your surroundings and into the music in an instant. It’s a great sound but I did tend to find it a bit fatiguing over longer listening.

R2 is probably a cozier sense of space but still draws you in, and has that punchy Cowon house sound. I’m wondering how it will sound with more burn in though - I’ve only just run down the battery fully from first charge (seems to last ages), but so far I do find it accentuates - or over-etches might be a better word- some details, particularly the treble element of some sounds, like the scrape of a guitar pick or treble sizzle on cymbals or hi-hats, which distracts from the rest of the sonic palette. For example I was listening to The Devil today, which has no vocals and uses audio clips from old radio/TV broadcasts to build a narrative theme (). So the samples have background static but it was much more noticeable with the R2 than with any other source I’ve heard. I’m hoping that aspect will improve with use but will have to wait and see.

Do you have a chance to trial either the R2 or M11Pro? There’s no substitute for hearing with your own ears.

Does JetEffects work over Bluetooth?
I am thinking of buying R2 just as a Bluetooth player for my speakers.

Jul 9, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #242 of 296
From what I remember the R could. I’m out of town at the moment but can check in a few days - left the R2 at home while traveling.

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #243 of 296
Just tried it now with the Drop Panda and can confirm JetEffect still works over Bluetooth. I had noticed earlier they mention it in their marketing material, but good to see it's not just a marketing claim and does work in actual everyday use. FYI the JetEffect options also work over optical out too, which I use with the Mojo every now and then.

Keep in mind the Bluetooth implementation is version 3.0, and only does SBC and aptX codecs, so isn't the most up to date Bluetooth around.

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #244 of 296
Just tried it now with the Drop Panda and can confirm JetEffect still works over Bluetooth. I had noticed earlier they mention it in their marketing material, but good to see it's not just a marketing claim and does work in actual everyday use. FYI the JetEffect options also work over optical out too, which I use with the Mojo every now and then.

Keep in mind the Bluetooth implementation is version 3.0, and only does SBC and aptX codecs, so isn't the most up to date Bluetooth around.
Thanks, that will work for me.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #246 of 296
JetEffect is one of the major selling points of cowon players depite, the amoled display and the battery backup on R2 is a bliss. I dont know why this R2 is not Globally recognised but people hype up others. I had hiby R6 pro, and m11, guess what i like the tonality and functionality of R2 than those two. I hope and wish it had 4.4mm port for my convenience. R2 came short only with sony wm1a.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #247 of 296
JetEffect is one of the major selling points of cowon players depite, the amoled display and the battery backup on R2 is a bliss. I dont know why this R2 is not Globally recognised but people hype up others. I had hiby R6 pro, and m11, guess what i like the tonality and functionality of R2 than those two. I hope and wish it had 4.4mm port for my convenience. R2 came short only with sony wm1a.
The PS is nice and it has the rare 3.5 balance.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #248 of 296
I felt the best combo with plenue R2 is dunu Studio SA6. it was an all-rounder setup.

dunu sa6 headfi.jpg

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #249 of 296
I joined the club as well. :beerchug:

Overall, quite happy with it. Sounds great with chi-fi (pictured) as well as with upper mid-fi (all my gear is under $1K).

Closest thing I can compare it to is A&K SR25 which I sold before getting R2 (so not A/B). They're using similar DAC implementation, with SR25 having dedicated amp section, while R2 reiles on the amp built-into CS chip. By default, on CD and hi-res Flacs SR25 sounds somewhat more refined and musically engaging. However with JetEffect, R2 leaps ahead of SR25 in sound quality as it allows excellent customization and more synergy options. I've used JetEffct to get great sound of various IEMs and earbuds. EQ/PEQ on SR25 is pretty useless. For DSD, while JetEffect is not allowed to be used, I find that R2 still sounds better than SR25. DSD on SR25 sounds somewhat compresssed and non-resolving. I also had issues with BT and Wifi on SR25, so I don't mind crappy BT and lack on Wifi on R2. All-in-all, I find R2 a better option unless you don't use JefEffect- then SR25 sounds bettter by default with most music files.

I purchased mine in Italy. EU has volume control regulations. That affected Sony NW-A105, which EU version is much quieter than NA/Asian versions. With my Plenue R2, I hear pretty much no volume increase on 3.5mm out from 95/140 to 140/140. This is after dismissing volume notification as well. Anyone else got their R2 in EU and/or experiencing no volume increase on 3.5mm out after certain level?

PXL_20210731_145442638.jpg

Aug 1, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #250 of 296
I joined the club as well. :beerchug:

Overall, quite happy with it. Sounds great with chi-fi (pictured) as well as with upper mid-fi (all my gear is under $1K).

Closest thing I can compare it to is A&K SR25 which I sold before getting R2 (so not A/B). They're using similar DAC implementation, with SR25 having dedicated amp section, while R2 reiles on the amp built-into CS chip. By default, on CD and hi-res Flacs SR25 sounds somewhat more refined and musically engaging. However with JetEffect, R2 leaps ahead of SR25 in sound quality as it allows excellent customization and more synergy options. I've used JetEffct to get great sound of various IEMs and earbuds. EQ/PEQ on SR25 is pretty useless. For DSD, while JetEffect is not allowed to be used, I find that R2 still sounds better than SR25. DSD on SR25 sounds somewhat compresssed and non-resolving. I also had issues with BT and Wifi on SR25, so I don't mind crappy BT and lack on Wifi on R2. All-in-all, I find R2 a better option unless you don't use JefEffect- then SR25 sounds bettter by default with most music files.

I purchased mine in Italy. EU has volume control regulations. That affected Sony NW-A105, which EU version is much quieter than NA/Asian versions. With my Plenue R2, I hear pretty much no volume increase on 3.5mm out from 95/140 to 140/140. This is after dismissing volume notification as well. Anyone else got their R2 in EU and/or experiencing no volume increase on 3.5mm out after certain level?

PXL_20210731_145442638.jpg
There is a way to reset the EU/non-EU region selection, so you can set it to non-EU and get the full volume range. I’ve never had to do it so not sure of the specifics, but it’s been mentioned in one of these Plenue threads on head-fi.

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #251 of 296
Anyone know email for Cowon customer service and/or link to register the player with them? I couldn't find any contact info online, besides business inquiry which I tried, on neither their global nor America website. I don't use social media so cannot PM them there.

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #253 of 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Back