Cowon Plenue R2
Dec 22, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #227 of 296
I saw that discount on the Plenue L, part of me really wants to try it, I wonder if it would sound amazing, or not that different to the R2.

I personally really didn't like the Plenue 2 and 2 mkii, for my preference they just had this really strong fatiguing upper mid range lower treble glare.

Or, was that all my headphones, and the Plenue 2 was just not hiding or smoothing anything off?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #228 of 296
I saw that discount on the Plenue L, part of me really wants to try it, I wonder if it would sound amazing, or not that different to the R2.

I personally really didn't like the Plenue 2 and 2 mkii, for my preference they just had this really strong fatiguing upper mid range lower treble glare.

Or, was that all my headphones, and the Plenue 2 was just not hiding or smoothing anything off?
For what it's worth, I've owned the M, M2, 1, D, D2, V, P2 mk II, R, and S. Most of those bought second hand. But the P2 mk II I bought new and actually returned it within the grace period as I wasn't too found of the sound. I seem to prefer the lower tier players more, as I've found the P1, P2 mk II and L (when I listened to it in store) had a reduced bass impact that really affected my enjoyment. The M2 does to some extent but it's slight and quite listenable. The S seems to be the exception being a higher priced Plenue which still has good punchy bass (and is my current player).

I tried the L in store, going back and forward between the S, and actually came away happy I had the S (and to be honest I think the S does have it's downsides). Granted, I'm still keen to hear the L again and get a better feel for it, but I certainly haven't found that I enjoy the newer or more expensive models the most.

So I'd recommend that, if you can, try hearing the L for yourself first. Depending on your tastes you might find you prefer the R2 more, based on my experience. I heard the R2 in a hifi expo a few months back and am keen to pick one up second hand in the near future. Sounded great on short impressions.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #229 of 296
For what it's worth, I've owned the M, M2, 1, D, D2, V, P2 mk II, R, and S. Most of those bought second hand. But the P2 mk II I bought new and actually returned it within the grace period as I wasn't too found of the sound. I seem to prefer the lower tier players more, as I've found the P1, P2 mk II and L (when I listened to it in store) had a reduced bass impact that really affected my enjoyment. The M2 does to some extent but it's slight and quite listenable. The S seems to be the exception being a higher priced Plenue which still has good punchy bass (and is my current player).

I tried the L in store, going back and forward between the S, and actually came away happy I had the S (and to be honest I think the S does have it's downsides). Granted, I'm still keen to hear the L again and get a better feel for it, but I certainly haven't found that I enjoy the newer or more expensive models the most.

So I'd recommend that, if you can, try hearing the L for yourself first. Depending on your tastes you might find you prefer the R2 more, based on my experience. I heard the R2 in a hifi expo a few months back and am keen to pick one up second hand in the near future. Sounded great on short impressions.

I only owned the Plenue 1 and Plenue D, and like you i found the P1 lacking punch. On the other hand, i really like the PD character. So, i sold the P1 to my pops and kept the PD, plus that battery life is unbeatable. I think i charge it once a month or so.

Three month ago out of curiosity (and in need of an IEM) i bought the Cowon Plenue X30 IEM. They were 270$ on amazon, and their build seemed excelent. I try them on my WM1A and found the pairing flat, then i ask my pops if i can try them on his P1, and this synergy really impress me, very detailed, natural and balanced to my ears. Then i make the mistake to show them to my pops. He immediately ask me to sell them, so now he got that pair and i'm without IEM :beyersmile:.

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #231 of 296
R2 arrived today------listening to it now----liking it!
Obviously need to break it in, but--so far so good. I briefly had the Plenue R last year and sent it back--
R2 has power and the blue tooth sounds excellent with the jeteffect7.
Listening to Audio Technica ATH-DSR7BT headphones and it sounds great! This is NOT going back----:L3000:

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #232 of 296
R2 arrived today------listening to it now----liking it!
Obviously need to break it in, but--so far so good. I briefly had the Plenue R last year and sent it back--
R2 has power and the blue tooth sounds excellent with the jeteffect7.
Listening to Audio Technica ATH-DSR7BT headphones and it sounds great! This is NOT going back----:L3000:

I have serious problem with R2 when listening via Bluetooth. It doesn't play sound if level is low. I am listening mostly classical music and this very annoying. If track starts with low level as it is often in classical music, there is not sound at and later when level is increasing sounds almost jumps. No my experiments with JetEffect or AI sound solved problem. I tried with Sony 1000-XM4, Beoplay H9 gen 3, and simpler Philips headphone. If I connect with cable all if fine and sound superb.
Tried also the same tracks with Plenue Z2, such problem with low level sound does't appear but quality is much lower.
Because of this annoyance, almost ready to return it.
Any advice?

Dec 26, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #233 of 296
I have serious problem with R2 when listening via Bluetooth. It doesn't play sound if level is low. I am listening mostly classical music and this very annoying. If track starts with low level as it is often in classical music, there is not sound at and later when level is increasing sounds almost jumps. No my experiments with JetEffect or AI sound solved problem. I tried with Sony 1000-XM4, Beoplay H9 gen 3, and simpler Philips headphone. If I connect with cable all if fine and sound superb.
Tried also the same tracks with Plenue Z2, such problem with low level sound does't appear but quality is much lower.
Because of this annoyance, almost ready to return it.
Any advice?

Not familiar enough with the R2 enough to address any technical questions yet as I only have had it for a couple of days and obviously have not had enough time to learn all about it. Try Cowon support----I am sure that is your best place to get the answer. As an audio enthusiast I have really gone crazy in the wireless headphone area and bluetooth DAP gear.
The best unit I have found for pure volume is the Hiby R6 Pro----it has great output power and also with the EQ engaged you can boost and additional 12 db which really helps. The Cowon R2 has very low bluetooth amp volume--nowhere near the R6 Pro--maybe half the power at best.
IF that is what you are looking for---get a Hiby R6 Pro----Hiby is releasing a new R6 2020 version but I have yet to see the actual specs on the bluetooth amp volume.

It is something that does not seem to be listed in spec sheets or if it is I do not know how to find it---I need to learn how, because that is also very important to me. :beyersmile:

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #234 of 296
Not familiar enough with the R2 enough to address any technical questions yet as I only have had it for a couple of days and obviously have not had enough time to learn all about it. Try Cowon support----I am sure that is your best place to get the answer. As an audio enthusiast I have really gone crazy in the wireless headphone area and bluetooth DAP gear.
The best unit I have found for pure volume is the Hiby R6 Pro----it has great output power and also with the EQ engaged you can boost and additional 12 db which really helps. The Cowon R2 has very low bluetooth amp volume--nowhere near the R6 Pro--maybe half the power at best.
IF that is what you are looking for---get a Hiby R6 Pro----Hiby is releasing a new R6 2020 version but I have yet to see the actual specs on the bluetooth amp volume.

It is something that does not seem to be listed in spec sheets or if it is I do not know how to find it---I need to learn how, because that is also very important to me. :beyersmile:

Sent request to Cowon support in France (for Europe), waiting to reply.
Now continuing search for an appropriate player. After listening High-Res 32 audio with Cowon R2, I really cannot listen even Cowon Z2 old player.
Buying Chinese devices Fiio or Hiby is not option for me for their bad customer service and bad manufacturing quality.
Discovered Astell & Kern A & norma SR15 for 598Euro, but read review is that it doesn't provide GAPLESS playback.
As far as I understand, this is what my reason to return Cowon R2: it plays gapless in wired connection and eliminates low level sound in BT.
Interesting that Samsung Galaxy S10 with Youtube Music doesn't have this problem.
My questions (1) is GAPLESS what I experienced that player doesn't play low level music? (2) is anybody has experience with Astell & Kern A & norma SR15?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #235 of 296
Finally picked one of these up at a good price with JDs 618 sale (big mid-year special here in China). Still rocking the protective film just in case I wanted to return it in the 7-day grace period.

Still not entirely sure what to make of it. Great dynamics and extraction of little details, gets my head bobbing, etc. But it does seem to have some of that delta-sigma treble glare that people talk about, with a bit more treble emphasis than I’d like; maybe that might tone down with burn in. Also, I hear a little crackle sound, very quiet but I consistently hear it, when the tracks change from one to another, and also when first starting playback. I just sold a FiiO M11Pro which had the same but more of a clip sound rather than the crackly sound I’m hearing with the PR2. Never had that with any Plenues before.

In other news my tour of the Cowon line up is almost complete :wink: Only ones I haven’t owned yet are the PL, PD3 and P2 (but have had the P2mkII and PD2 which must be similar). Never thought that would happen when I first bought the PD some years ago (or J3 or S9 or iAudio E2 before that for that matter!). I guess this the rabbit hole you open up when you start checking out Head-fi. 9019E1BD-D0FC-4347-9563-57F2D58692A5.jpeg

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #236 of 296
Finally picked one of these up at a good price with JDs 618 sale (big mid-year special here in China). Still rocking the protective film just in case I wanted to return it in the 7-day grace period.

Still not entirely sure what to make of it. Great dynamics and extraction of little details, gets my head bobbing, etc. But it does seem to have some of that delta-sigma treble glare that people talk about, with a bit more treble emphasis than I’d like; maybe that might tone down with burn in. Also, I hear a little crackle sound, very quiet but I consistently hear it, when the tracks change from one to another, and also when first starting playback. I just sold a FiiO M11Pro which had the same but more of a clip sound rather than the crackly sound I’m hearing with the PR2. Never had that with any Plenues before.

In other news my tour of the Cowon line up is almost complete :wink: Only ones I haven’t owned yet are the PL, PD3 and P2 (but have had the P2mkII and PD2 which must be similar). Never thought that would happen when I first bought the PD some years ago (or J3 or S9 or iAudio E2 before that for that matter!). I guess this the rabbit hole you open up when you start checking out Head-fi.9019E1BD-D0FC-4347-9563-57F2D58692A5.jpeg
Thanks for your feedback. I've had one on my wishlist.

Have you installed latest firmware to see if it helps with crackle sounds?

Please briefly compare to M11pro just sound quality wise from your memory.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #237 of 296
Thanks for your feedback. I've had one on my wishlist.

Have you installed latest firmware to see if it helps with crackle sounds?

Please briefly compare to M11pro just sound quality wise from your memory.
Yeah I upgraded to the latest firmware so still have crackles at the moment. It’s quiet, but there, although gets drowned out if there is a true gapless transition between tracks - I.e. if the music is continuous between tracks then I can’t hear it, only if there’s a bit of silence between songs.

Comparing to M11Pro is tricky - both very capable DAPs. I just sold the M11Pro last week and used the funds to get the R2, so the memory’s fresh but still memory only!

M11Pro had bigger soundstage, smoother treble (so far) and also had great dynamics; maybe better, but I would need to hear side by side to sure on that one. Overall the timbre and mood are quite different; M11Pro has an immersive sense of space and clean, pristine feel to it; like your ears have jumped into a fresh mountain lake, it can take you out of your surroundings and into the music in an instant. It’s a great sound but I did tend to find it a bit fatiguing over longer listening.

R2 is probably a cozier sense of space but still draws you in, and has that punchy Cowon house sound. I’m wondering how it will sound with more burn in though - I’ve only just run down the battery fully from first charge (seems to last ages), but so far I do find it accentuates - or over-etches might be a better word- some details, particularly the treble element of some sounds, like the scrape of a guitar pick or treble sizzle on cymbals or hi-hats, which distracts from the rest of the sonic palette. For example I was listening to The Devil today, which has no vocals and uses audio clips from old radio/TV broadcasts to build a narrative theme (). So the samples have background static but it was much more noticeable with the R2 than with any other source I’ve heard. I’m hoping that aspect will improve with use but will have to wait and see.

Do you have a chance to trial either the R2 or M11Pro? There’s no substitute for hearing with your own ears.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #238 of 296
Yeah I upgraded to the latest firmware so still have crackles at the moment. It’s quiet, but there, although gets drowned out if there is a true gapless transition between tracks - I.e. if the music is continuous between tracks then I can’t hear it, only if there’s a bit of silence between songs.

Comparing to M11Pro is tricky - both very capable DAPs. I just sold the M11Pro last week and used the funds to get the R2, so the memory’s fresh but still memory only!

M11Pro had bigger soundstage, smoother treble (so far) and also had great dynamics; maybe better, but I would need to hear side by side to sure on that one. Overall the timbre and mood are quite different; M11Pro has an immersive sense of space and clean, pristine feel to it; like your ears have jumped into a fresh mountain lake, it can take you out of your surroundings and into the music in an instant. It’s a great sound but I did tend to find it a bit fatiguing over longer listening.

R2 is probably a cozier sense of space but still draws you in, and has that punchy Cowon house sound. I’m wondering how it will sound with more burn in though - I’ve only just run down the battery fully from first charge (seems to last ages), but so far I do find it accentuates - or over-etches might be a better word- some details, particularly the treble element of some sounds, like the scrape of a guitar pick or treble sizzle on cymbals or hi-hats, which distracts from the rest of the sonic palette. For example I was listening to The Devil today, which has no vocals and uses audio clips from old radio/TV broadcasts to build a narrative theme (). So the samples have background static but it was much more noticeable with the R2 than with any other source I’ve heard. I’m hoping that aspect will improve with use but will have to wait and see.

Do you have a chance to trial either the R2 or M11Pro? There’s no substitute for hearing with your own ears.

Unfortunately I'm unable to demo due to local covid restrictions but looking forward to be able to sometime soon. Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back