Cowon Plenue R2
Oct 12, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #256 of 296
No new plenues on the horizon? Only the R2 and P2 are been offered on amazon.
One thing about Cowon is they're not as active as other brands on social media or forums like this, so it's always hard to know what they're up to. Recently they just seem to be pushing their Gala noise-cancelling iem on youtube. Personally, I'm hoping they'll release something like a Plenue PM3 - but I have a bad track record at predicting what they'll do next :wink:

Oct 12, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #257 of 296
Seems like they introduced D3 not that long ago, though out of stock here in US too. Hopefully more of a sign of the widespread COVID-era supply chain issues (chip shortages, shipping logjams etc...) than a total move away from DAPs .

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #258 of 296
They redesigned their webpage and removed several plenue models, and they are pushing their bluetooth IEM's now. But after they released several daps in a relative short period of time for Cowon standards, they been pretty stagnated in the DAP market, firmware updates are sparsed too. I'm curious to see a new plenue in this era of DAP's.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #259 of 296
Can you guys please suggest an appropriate cable to utilize R2's 3.5mm digital out? I would like to use it as a transport to feed an external DAC that has coaxial input.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #261 of 296
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #263 of 296
Thanks! Since R2 has optical out, I guess I cannot connect it straight to coaxial on the other end ? It has to be terminated optical on both ends, right?
Yes you'll need optical on both ends, coaxial is a different signal. Some DAPs will have a combined optical/coaxial SPDIF output port, which can send out either signal, but on the receiving end optical and coaxial usually have to go into separate ports - I don't think I've seen a combined port that can receive either before.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #264 of 296
Yes you'll need optical on both ends, coaxial is a different signal. Some DAPs will have a combined optical/coaxial SPDIF output port, which can send out either signal, but on the receiving end optical and coaxial usually have to go into separate ports - I don't think I've seen a combined port that can receive either before.
Makes sense, thanks for reply.

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #266 of 296

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #267 of 296
No new plenues on the horizon? Only the R2 and P2 are been offered on amazon.
Nope, I just checked their site after almost half a year and no new DAPs ahead. I'm not sure how long is PD3 out, but I don't like it much (rotating volume knob instead of buttons, must be worse to handle in pocket I guess? ).
Right now I'm thinking about to buy R2, but I can't decide, my old trusty little Plenue D still rocks like I bought it new 5 years ago. :ksc75smile:

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #268 of 296
Nope, I just checked their site after almost half a year and no new DAPs ahead. I'm not sure how long is PD3 out, but I don't like it much (rotating volume knob instead of buttons, must be worse to handle in pocket I guess? ).
Right now I'm thinking about to buy R2, but I can't decide, my old trusty little Plenue D still rocks like I bought it new 5 years ago. :ksc75smile:

It's a shame actually, the Plenue line is a great line of DAP's. My first real DAP was the Plenue 1, but i think they're getting behind, in terms of mostly updating their UI, just a little polish, i like that they're Linux based and i don't care about android and streaming personally, but a good bluetooth (at least 4.2) would help greatly. Cowon is focusing more on wireless IEM's right now.

I was eyeing the R2 too, if only it was 4.4, that was the deal breaker for me.

I got the Plenue D too, still using it constantly since i bought then 5 years ago too. I love the character of this little fella, i actually sold the P1 and kept the PD. I didn't liked the sound signature of the P1 in the long run for my taste and the battery was too short, so i bought a Sony WM1A, also Linux based and have great synergy with my headphones, which all are on the warm side. I always leave the "Maestro" preset on on the PD, they make my headphones livelier and on my FiiO FH3, they open up the soundstage quite a bit.

I hope to see new DAP's from Cowon.

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #270 of 296
Yeah I wonder what’s going on. I’m in China and their official Cowon JD store - more or less the equivalent of Amazon here - is all sold out of Plenue stock. It’s been a while since the PD3 and that was an incremental upgrade over PD2 anyway. Cowon are pushing their Gala earbuds hard on social media, but they’re not available here yet either.

I wonder if it’s the chip supply and general global manufacturing difficulties to blame, or if there’s something else going on. Be a pity if they bow out of the DAP game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back