Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
May 4, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #376 of 448
Hi @Rockwell75,

I might had already said this to you but the PR is definitely good value DAP & certainly very enjoyable to use.

Subjectively & personally, it is definitely sonically more enjoyable than the ZX300.

Cowon tends to be pretty foolproof UI as it is basically a clone across all their DAPs with variations.

PR is more Reference Sound (Closer to Balanced Sound with no emphasis in any frequency range) compared to something like both PD & PD2 sonically though depending on your mileage on how you hear things, using JetEffects won't yield much difference from not using JetEffects but still nice to use.
Personally & subjectively, I also like the pretty much black background on the PR over both the PDs but in the long term, subjective once again, sound has more impact for me on the PDs.

Hope you enjoy your PR when it finally arrives, I doubt you will be disappointed...

Just as a general statement, it would be interesting if a revision of the PR ever came out with certain added futures but time will tell.

Hope you have a great day !
I have three daps that i use, but the PR is my favorite, sound wise and for sure UI wise, pretty fast, and JetEffects.

May 9, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #377 of 448
My opinion. I had fiio players, hiby r6,r3, shanling m0, m5. And I think the R sounds better.

Plenue DAPs are some of the best on the market. In my opinion the only thing that needs improving is for Cowon to add an alphabetical screen to eliminate having to scroll all the way from A to Z (very annoying).

My ZuneHD makes it so much easier. Aftet choosing "artist", "album" or "song" I get an alphabet screen. I can then choose "V" and then scroll through the V's to get to Vivaldi; currently, I have to scroll from A all the way through the alphabet to get to V......I have a ton of music on my Cowon so this takes an irritating amount of time. Could be completely avoided with an alphabetical screen....or at the very least, the artists can be subdivided via alphabet.

DTxkSNeVwAAlltv.jpg

Outside of that annoyance (and sometimes absent artwork) the Plenue DAPs top the charts and are a sound value proposition. Half the time I have to add the artwork manually. It's another slight annoyance but the sound quality makes up for both annoyances.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #378 of 448
Plenue DAPs are some of the best on the market. In my opinion the only thing that needs improving is for Cowon to add an alphabetical screen to eliminate having to scroll all the way from A to Z (very annoying).

My ZuneHD makes it so much easier. Aftet choosing "artist", "album" or "song" I get an alphabet screen. I can then choose "V" and then scroll through the V's to get to Vivaldi; currently, I have to scroll from A all the way through the alphabet to get to V......I have a ton of music on my Cowon so this takes an irritating amount of time. Could be completely avoided with an alphabetical screen....or at the very least, the artists can be subdivided via alphabet.

Outside of that annoyance (and sometimes absent artwork) the Plenue DAPs top the charts and are a sound value proposition. Half the time I have to add the artwork manually. It's another slight annoyance but the sound quality makes up for both annoyances.
In all honesty I've found Plenue DAPs the easiest to get artwork working. I always just had a file "cover.jpg" in the album folder, and it would show on playback. I didn't bother using tags at all until I got a ZX300 and the Sony required quite a bit of work getting appropriate tags in the right place to get artwork to work. I find the Cowon solution so much easier!

May 10, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #379 of 448
In all honesty I've found Plenue DAPs the easiest to get artwork working. I always just had a file "cover.jpg" in the album folder, and it would show on playback. I didn't bother using tags at all until I got a ZX300 and the Sony required quite a bit of work getting appropriate tags in the right place to get artwork to work. I find the Cowon solution so much easier!

May not be preferred, but i always embed my cover art into my flac or whatever file it happens to be with mp3tag, decent program for tagging. I try to keep them 500x500 or near this parameter.

May 12, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #380 of 448
Friendly PSA regarding album art on DAPs,

800 x 800 tends to be friendly limit though depending on how image file was embedded, preferrably .png, rarely sometimes Cowon DAPs can squeeze in higher though said 800 x 800 is still recommended for easy compatibility across different DAPs.

Hope everyone as a great day !

Jun 6, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #381 of 448
Hi
I have some problem with my sd card Samsung evo + 256gb
Update database crah when its fulled ?

What is your ? Toshiba ? ...

Jun 6, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #382 of 448
Hi
I have some problem with my sd card Samsung evo + 256gb
Update database crah when its fulled ?

What is your ? Toshiba ? ...

Toshiba? I think SanDisk micro SD cards are the most common (worldwide). No issues here, though one of the cards I bought from Amazon turned out to be fake; had the same issue as you are having where file index got corrupted once I filled it up.

Jun 6, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #383 of 448
Thx
I fill my sd card 5 foldier by 5. It’s stange...
what is your earphones with PR ?

Jun 6, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #384 of 448
Jun 6, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #385 of 448
:-D

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #387 of 448
Do anyone of you who have or had the cowon R can compare the sound between the M11? I may bevselling my R to get this one
Yep the 11 is more neutral.

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #388 of 448
Well I posted my R for sell if anyone interested or pm me

Attachments

• 4C6C78FB-EEAC-4984-BEA0-7C182490995E.jpeg
    4C6C78FB-EEAC-4984-BEA0-7C182490995E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 88185DCE-A2FF-47C8-B847-6EBFF9C49DBC.jpeg
    88185DCE-A2FF-47C8-B847-6EBFF9C49DBC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 9, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #389 of 448
Jul 30, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #390 of 448
Has anyone had to have their Plenue R repaired for anything? I'm based in the UK and it seems options for repair is limited. Unfortunately, my LCD screen cracked whilst being in my bag (seems something most of pressured the middle of the screen) and have a crack right down the middle.

Advanced MP3 Players have a dedicated repair engineer, but on initial emails; they have yet to receive any parts from Cowon for a Plenue R. I'm waiting for them to get back to me when they can get an LCD replacement and cost etc. I'm bit a gutted it happened, but learned a big lesson to not have it naked in my bag (I will get a protective bag in future).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back