Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Nov 7, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #406 of 448
The English language version of the R2 page is up: http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUER2/product_page_1.php

One interesting feature I hadn’t picked up on is they say you can receive phone alerts via Bluetooth, implying that you can listen to source files off the R2 but pair with your phone to have incoming alerts, while still outputting audio via the headphone jacks. That would mean the R2 must have some Bluetooth reception ability as well as transmission, which makes me wonder if it can act as an all round Bluetooth receiver (e.g. for streaming audio off your phone) or somehow just receives alerts only.

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #407 of 448
The English language version of the R2 page is up: http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUER2/product_page_1.php

One interesting feature I hadn’t picked up on is they say you can receive phone alerts via Bluetooth, implying that you can listen to source files off the R2 but pair with your phone to have incoming alerts, while still outputting audio via the headphone jacks. That would mean the R2 must have some Bluetooth reception ability as well as transmission, which makes me wonder if it can act as an all round Bluetooth receiver (e.g. for streaming audio off your phone) or somehow just receives alerts only.

Well, with the original PR you can connect your phone to it so that if you get a call the PR will notify you of it, but you can't use it as a receiver for audio. I'd imagine the PR2 will do the same, but if it can receive audio as well that would be awesome

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #408 of 448
Well, with the original PR you can connect your phone to it so that if you get a call the PR will notify you of it, but you can't use it as a receiver for audio. I'd imagine the PR2 will do the same, but if it can receive audio as well that would be awesome
I don't think it has Bluetooth receiver. If it has, they would have made it a big thing.

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #409 of 448
I don't think it has Bluetooth receiver. If it has, they would have made it a big thing.
Yeah I agree.

This is what is says on the site, so it's just the same as on the PR

Phone Call Alerts
for Greater Convenience Connect the PLENUE R2 to your smartphone via Bluetooth to receive alerts for incoming phone calls. Never miss another call while listening to your favorite music.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #410 of 448
Ah right, I used to have the R and never realized that feature was there! I guess the R2 is just exactly the same then.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #411 of 448
it looks sooo goood the R2, now i cant decide what to get D2 or R2 or maybe R2 then D2. still love my D

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #412 of 448
Just scrolling through Instagram and a listing came up for R2 via some Hong Kong retailer, at 4288 HKD which is about 550 USD. So I checked on the Cowon Korea website again and the “Buy” link on the R2 page is now active and shows 599,000 South Korean Won, which works out to around 500 USD.

So looks like the R2 will be close to the same price as the R.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #414 of 448
Dec 4, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #415 of 448
Indeed, he never misses to promote Plenue products, but we both know this is not a review :wink: I'm yet to find a single word in there talking specifically about R2 sound analysis, comparison to other daps, or pair up with iems or headphones :D
Well, that's a bit harsh. It covers the build, the overall sound, has detailed measurements and such. I would rather have this that people saying how it sounds with their iems or headphones coz let's be honest - out of 1000 people reading a review, probably 5 have the same gear as the reviewer. And don't get me started on hawaiibadboy's rants about reviewers not including what type of music they used for the reviewer - everyone has specific baseline tracks and what they are means nothing to the people reading the reviews unless the reviewer is listening to EDM and the likes coz then all talks about tonal balance and realistic rendition are rendered useless. And yeah, it's not bad to have some comparisons with more recent DAPs in the price range but let's not forget not everyone receives tons of free gear that can use for comparison

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #416 of 448
Well, that's a bit harsh. It covers the build, the overall sound, has detailed measurements and such. I would rather have this that people saying how it sounds with their iems or headphones coz let's be honest - out of 1000 people reading a review, probably 5 have the same gear as the reviewer. And don't get me started on hawaiibadboy's rants about reviewers not including what type of music they used for the reviewer - everyone has specific baseline tracks and what they are means nothing to the people reading the reviews unless the reviewer is listening to EDM and the likes coz then all talks about tonal balance and realistic rendition are rendered useless. And yeah, it's not bad to have some comparisons with more recent DAPs in the price range but let's not forget not everyone receives tons of free gear that can use for comparison

I was just hoping to read at least a comparison to original PR since he reviewed it before. But that's ok, everybody have their own review style.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #419 of 448
The R2 webpage explicitly states that R2 does not support DoP via optical. My question is, which Cowon player does?

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #420 of 448
Is anyone still using this player? Struggling to justify keeping mine since adopting new AirPod Pros (and going back to streaming). Tempted to sell it, but got the feeling the market isn't strong for resell value currently on these players. The listings on eBay are very sparse and limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back