Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Jul 30, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #391 of 448
Has anyone had to have their Plenue R repaired for anything? I'm based in the UK and it seems options for repair is limited. Unfortunately, my LCD screen cracked whilst being in my bag (seems something most of pressured the middle of the screen) and have a crack right down the middle.

Advanced MP3 Players have a dedicated repair engineer, but on initial emails; they have yet to receive any parts from Cowon for a Plenue R. I'm waiting for them to get back to me when they can get an LCD replacement and cost etc. I'm bit a gutted it happened, but learned a big lesson to not have it naked in my bag (I will get a protective bag in future).
Isn’t the screen the same as other models with the home button, like the m2, P2, L etc? I would have thought so, didn’t notice any difference in the screens between the R, P2 mkII and M2 that I’ve owned.

Jul 30, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #392 of 448
Isn’t the screen the same as other models with the home button, like the m2, P2, L etc? I would have thought so, didn’t notice any difference in the screens between the R, P2 mkII and M2 that I’ve owned.

I assume it is. As a last resort, I'd be tempted to do it myself (and take the player apart). It seems like the LCD/touch sensors are consistent as you have said between those models. I'd be interested to see if replacement parts are available somewhere. It's a typical thing of Cowon not to be hot on customer support within the EU as a direct place to go. There's no information on their global website apart from sellers.

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #393 of 448
It's been a little while since this thread had some activity, so thought I'd maybe spark it up again.

I've had my eye on getting a Plenue player for about the last year or so. My very first "gateway" player into portable Hi-Fi was actually the little J3, but that was also my last Cowon player. So around 2 weeks ago I saw Amazon still had the PR for $339, but there was also an additional 20% off coupon which made it an absolute no-brainer for me.

Well, it arrived today, and I'm absolutely LOVING this player so far.

Aug 28, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #394 of 448
It's been a little while since this thread had some activity, so thought I'd maybe spark it up again.

I've had my eye on getting a Plenue player for about the last year or so. My very first "gateway" player into portable Hi-Fi was actually the little J3, but that was also my last Cowon player. So around 2 weeks ago I saw Amazon still had the PR for $339, but there was also an additional 20% off coupon which made it an absolute no-brainer for me.

For $271 PR is a BARGAIN!!!

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #395 of 448

Nice, agree with Twister6, that’s a great deal. I too had a J3 for many years :)

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #396 of 448
For $271 PR is a BARGAIN!!!

Nice, agree with Twister6, that’s a great deal. I too had a J3 for many years :)

Yeah I don't think I could be happier with this device. OK, perhaps LDAC, USB output and Bluetooth receiving would've been nice, but they're not absolute must-haves for me. Library management also isn't as easy as with Sony players, but I actually love how more audio-focused Cowon players are, and the JetEffect DSP engine is just awesome.

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #397 of 448
By the way, if others are still having issues with creating playlists, I've gotten them to work perfectly. I can't remember which user it was that mentioned this first, but the problem with using programs such as Foobar to export playlists is that it doesn't insert the EXTINF data into the file. I downloaded the jetAudio PC app and created playlists with it, export as m3u and remove the drive info and now my playlists are good to go.
The only other 2 issues are that it seems the playlist file needs to be located on the same drive as the actual tracks, so that means you can't have a playlist call up tracks that are both on the external card as well as the internal storage. The last issue is that the PR (for whatever reason) doesn't show more than 199 tracks per playlist. What I've done to sorta get around this is to have something like a 90's playlist, but then it'll actually be 2 playlists which I name and organise according to artist as "90's (A - M)" and "90's (N - Z)".

I hope that'll be of some help.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #398 of 448
So I have placed an order for Cowon R which ended up being around 280 USD. However there is also M2 which is priced for 339 USD. Can someone who has experience with both advise which one is better? What are their differencies? Last time I had Cowon it was around 12 years ago so I have no idea how their recent versions sound. I like dynamic, smooth, macro/thick sound like Lottoo Paw Gold, Hifiman 801 and similair. I do not expect it to be on the same level just trying to describe my preferences. Even though I do not like bright/thin sound but I don't like overly dull sound either. Opus 1 did not impress me and sounded a little congested even though it had nice warmth. Thanks :)

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #399 of 448
So I have placed an order for Cowon R which ended up being around 280 USD. However there is also M2 which is priced for 339 USD. Can someone who has experience with both advise which one is better? What are their differencies? Last time I had Cowon it was around 12 years ago so I have no idea how their recent versions sound. I like dynamic, smooth, macro/thick sound like Lottoo Paw Gold, Hifiman 801 and similair. I do not expect it to be on the same level just trying to describe my preferences. Even though I do not like bright/thin sound but I don't like overly dull sound either. Opus 1 did not impress me and sounded a little congested even though it had nice warmth. Thanks :)
Hey LMka, I've had both - but at different times so I've never done a side by side comparison. But Twister6 has a side by comparison in his PR review: https://twister6.com/2017/11/10/cowon-plenue-r/3/

I have the PM2 now, had the R early last year and it was my daily driver for about 6 months. Unfortunately I haven't heard any of the other players you've mentioned (apart from Paw Gold but only briefly), so can't compare to those.

Key differences in features are that PR has a 2.5mm balanced out and Bluetooth. In fact, it's the only Plenue with Bluetooth so far, although it's an older implementation like Bluetooth 3.1 or so. Both players are effectively the same size - same size screen, with body minimally different, and same UI and responsive touchscreen, quick start up, and both have the same JetEffects settings.

The PR has lower power output - single ended is 1.4Vrms and balanced 1.6Vrms, versus 2 Vrms on Plenue M2. But, the battery lasts longer on PR as a result.

To me, Plenue R seemed a bit more detailed and neutral. It has this crisp sweet sound. It's nicely balanced, if kind of "polite". Sometimes I even wonder about re-listening and seeing what my impressions of the PR would be now upon hearing it again. The main limiting factor for me was that I found the bass didn't have the impact I craved - it went low and you could hear it low, but it didn't hit hard if that makes sense. This was using over ear headphones though (B&W P7s or Meze 99 classics, which are quite easy to drive), so with sensitive IEMs it might be different. The balanced out was better with bass impact and definition though, which may be due to the higher power.

But from memory, bass is fuller with the PM2. The PM2 has perhaps a slightly warmer, smoother tone than the PR. But I find with the Plenues there's always a certain sibling similarity to the sound, so the differences in sound signature between the players isn't huge.

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #400 of 448
Plenue R2 is now on the Cowon Korean language website: http://plenue.cowon.com/product/PLENUER2/product_page_1.php

The English version usually appears a week or so later, based on previous releases.

But based on obvious content which needs no translation, it has the same body shape and size, now with two CS43131 DACs, which is interesting as it’s the same as in the D2. Same power out of 2 Vrms on single-ended and 4 Vrms on balanced as the D2. I wonder how they’ll compare in terms of sound.

Still has Bluetooth 3; I was hoping they’d update it to at least 4 or even better 5 on a new model after having 3 on the R.

Black body color looks great. First Plenue with USB-C as well.

There usually seems to be a big delay between when Cowon lists a new model and when it’s available at retail distributors though. @twister6 have you been given a heads-up for a review?

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #401 of 448
I’d have to say Cowon is obviously loving the CS43131 chip: first it was a single chip on the V, then dual chip on the D2, then they also recently rebooted their iAudio line with a “iAudio HiFi” model with a single CS43131. Now dual on the R2 as well.

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #402 of 448
Plenue R2 is now on the Cowon Korean language website: http://plenue.cowon.com/product/PLENUER2/product_page_1.php

The English version usually appears a week or so later, based on previous releases.

But based on obvious content which needs no translation, it has the same body shape and size, now with two CS43131 DACs, which is interesting as it’s the same as in the D2. Same power out of 2 Vrms on single-ended and 4 Vrms on balanced as the D2. I wonder how they’ll compare in terms of sound.

Still has Bluetooth 3; I was hoping they’d update it to at least 4 or even better 5 on a new model after having 3 on the R.

There usually seems to be a big delay between when Cowon lists a new model and when it’s available at retail distributors though. @twister6 have you been given a heads-up for a review?

Didn't even know one is coming up. Too many other reviews in my queue right now, still catching up. So, no plans to review this one... and still 128GB uSD support :frowning2:

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #403 of 448
still 128GB uSD support :frowning2:
Yeah it’s a bit of a mixed bag. There’s some trickle down from the L and P2 mk II of the AI effects and CPLD, but no trickle down of other features like the bigger microSD support. Battery life is quoted as about the same as the original R which is good.

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #404 of 448

@someyoungguy,

Good catch...

Just my 2 cents...

I think all Cowon Plenue owners, especially those who own & haved owned the PR, which I still own & use though not as much as PD or PD2, certainly will find this interesting.
Though as to owning this DAP when it eventually comes out, personally & subjectively, I will have to see, as not really in the market for a DAP any time soon, from any brand though it is still nice to consider & certainly tempting as most things are in this hobby.

Agree with you the black body casework looks good, certainly striking.
Cowon can never be faulted for their design asthetics though some have been questionable (V comes to mind though did actually consider it before passing then getting the D2)

VRMS aside, it will be interesting indeed if the PR2 gets as loud in sound levels as either PD or PD2 as those DAPs still have higher sound levels than PR so while specs always give a good indication, they don't tell the whole story.
So as long as the dual CS43131 chips are well implemented, should be a nice sound upgrade compared to the single PCM5242 which is still really good.

Yes, BT 3 is almost sad nowadays compared to the other BT standards out there but at least AptX is still viable & Cowon implemented that codec though LDAC would have been better though personally I don't use BT audio much unless for housework or workouts so personally doesn't bother me.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back