Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #92 of 448
@someyoungguy
Sorry to tell you, but in latest fws, dx80 had lock feature. Anyway now I have a PM2 and is miles ahead of dx80!
Ah well, I'm glad they fixed the lock, even if I did get rid of it! Interesting you say the PM2 sounds way better than DX80, and Twister6 says PR is better than PM2. Hell I think I'll just go ahead and order this now :wink:

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #94 of 448
Could anybody tell me wether this will be able to drive a sennheiser hd650 (300 ohm)? I can get a pair for 200e, seems like a good price but this is the only device I would consider using it on and I have no idea on pairing based on specs alone.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #95 of 448
Could anybody tell me wether this will be able to drive a sennheiser hd650 (300 ohm)? I can get a pair for 200e, seems like a good price but this is the only device I would consider using it on and I have no idea on pairing based on specs alone.

Don't have hd650, but based on tests with other headphones, yes, it can drive it, but not to their full potential. PR is more friendly with iems and headphones with a typical portable-use lower impedance. You will need to step up to PS or P2.

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #96 of 448
R will definitely not drive HD650 to its full potential. Look elsewhere or get another headphone

Nov 4, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #97 of 448
Quite possibly but could sound a little thin and undwhelming.

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #98 of 448
Guys, do you think P1 will still be superior in comparision with the R? Taking into consideration better DAC first of all.
I need a on-the-go source for a low impedance IEMs. On the other hand the R is 0,8 Ohm, and the P1 is 3 Ohm which basically makes the R a better choice in that regard.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #99 of 448
Guys, do you think P1 will still be superior in comparision with the R? Taking into consideration better DAC first of all.
I need a on-the-go source for a low impedance IEMs. On the other hand the R is 0,8 Ohm, and the P1 is 3 Ohm which basically makes the R a better choice in that regard.

Don't think superior is a correct term, more like different. P1 has a warmer/fuller body, while PR is more like P2, being more neutral and revealing. Since you are talking about IEM pair up, especially low impedance, 3 ohm ouptut will mess up FR curve of lo impedance IEMs. I recently tested M2S which has 4.8 ohm output impedance, and it was quite noticeable. In terms of DAC/amp combo, hard to say if one is superior to the other. Also, if you look at the spec of 120dB SNR of P1 vs 123dB SNR of PR, I can tell you that 3dB makes a difference. PM2 has 120dB and you can hear the noise floor being higher in comparison to 123dB P2 and PR. Plus, if you want longer battery life, balanced output, and maybe wireless bluetooth - those are just an added bonus to PR.

Nov 5, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #100 of 448
Anyone able to get the PR to stream Spotify via a Bluetooth link to a cell phone or other source? It works on my Shanling M3s. It would be great if the PR could do it as well.

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #101 of 448
Anyone able to get the PR to stream Spotify via a Bluetooth link to a cell phone or other source? It works on my Shanling M3s. It would be great if the PR could do it as well.

You need a duplex Bluetooth support for that, something N3, M3s, and M2s support, but majority of other DAPs (including PR) don't. You can pair up PR with BT wireless headphones, but you can't pair up your smartphone with PR. I'm yet to try USB OTG connection with a smartphone, to use PR as usb-dac. I think I tried it quickly and it didn't work, could be an issue with my aging Note 4.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #102 of 448
You need a duplex Bluetooth support for that, something N3, M3s, and M2s support, but majority of other DAPs (including PR) don't. You can pair up PR with BT wireless headphones, but you can't pair up your smartphone with PR. I'm yet to try USB OTG connection with a smartphone, to use PR as usb-dac. I think I tried it quickly and it didn't work, could be an issue with my aging Note 4.
I believe the PR has an optical digital out and not a USB OTG digital out. So you would need an optical 3.5mm connector to a DAC that had an optical digital input.

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #103 of 448
I believe the PR has an optical digital out and not a USB OTG digital out. So you would need an optical 3.5mm connector to a DAC that had an optical digital input.

I'm not talking about USB OTG digital out to use PR as a digital transport, but a digital in to use it as USB OTG DAC, like I used it with PM2:

cowon_pm2-44.jpg

There is even a setting in PR for USB DAC power to be using either internal battery or PC/Smartphone.

It works with PM2, but I wasn't able to get it to work with PR. Maybe something off with my cable or connection, or maybe it will be implemented in the next fw update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back