Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Oct 12, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #61 of 448
Why hide it in a case? I have been using various expensive daps on the go since 2005 and not one scratch

Cowon leather cases are as beautiful as their chassis, fits like a glove without hiding the design, and the quality is on par, if not better than, Dignis. Why leather case with PR? I already mentioned above, the bottom right edge felt sharp in my hand, unless if it was just an engineering sample I got for my review.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #62 of 448
Don't jump into sound analysis until about 100hrs of burn in, just let it play in the loop for a week :wink:

I have about 50hrs of playback time and to say that I'm impressed is understatement.

Just imagine PM2 design with a sound sig close to P2, with Bluetooth and 17hrs of battery life (confirmed playing 320kbps mp3 in a loop).

I will have first impressions soon, but we are talking about a sound sig very close to new Plenue 2, neutral revealing sound, maybe with PR a touch brighter, but still close to neutral sig. Technically, P2 has an advantage, blacker background, a little more dynamics and transparency. PM2 is noticable warmer, the same as the original Plenue should be. Also, PM2 has more hissing and not as resolving in comparison to PR.

PR is very light, slim, and definitely should benefit from a leather case since lower right corner has a few sharp point.

The LED will change the color depending if you are playing lossey mp3s or lossless FLACs, or high res DSDs. You can disable led in System settling (should save battery).

Other than that, the same fast responsive touch screen and OS, as P2, the latest JetEffect dsp effects, 128GB internal storage, bal and unbal ho, optical digital out, microSD expansion, newly added BT, and seriously good battery life.

Thanks for the input.

Any comparison with the Plenue D?

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #63 of 448
How come this thread is so quiet? No impressions? I'm about to get a mid-fi DAP and R looks really impressive (long battery life, latest Jet effects, balanced out). Always wanted a COWON player.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #64 of 448
How come this thread is so quiet? No impressions? I'm about to get a mid-fi DAP and R looks really impressive (long battery life, latest Jet effects, balanced out). Always wanted a COWON player.

Too many DAPs, too much competition. PR is more than just "all aRound player". Fantastic with IEMs, sound is closer to Plenue 2, long battery (17hrs as tested), Bluetooth with aptx codec, 128GB internal storage plus uSD expansion, small/compact/lightweight, optical out to use as a transport, and JetEffect dsp effects. So far, the only negative is that it's less powerful, not the best pair up with full size more demanding cans or higher impedance iems/earbuds. Cowon probably cut down on power to increase battery life. It's in queue to be reviewed, should have it done in a few weeks.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #66 of 448
Too many DAPs, too much competition. PR is more than just "all aRound player". Fantastic with IEMs, sound is closer to Plenue 2, long battery (17hrs as tested), Bluetooth with aptx codec, 128GB internal storage plus uSD expansion, small/compact/lightweight, optical out to use as a transport, and JetEffect dsp effects. So far, the only negative is that it's less powerful, not the best pair up with full size more demanding cans or higher impedance iems/earbuds. Cowon probably cut down on power to increase battery life. It's in queue to be reviewed, should have it done in a few weeks.
Thanks a lot Twister. Sounds really good! I don't intend to use full size headphones (have another DAP for that) so the lower power is not a problem for me. Now just wait till my local COWON dealer gets the first batch. Can't wait!

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #67 of 448
Btw you are right, too many DAPs around now. Crazy world...

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #68 of 448

Twist? How does this pair with Zeus XR?

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #70 of 448
@twister6
Does the Eq cover the 30hz - 16khz range or does it only go down to 80 hz?

I was hoping for the 20 band one like in the downloadable app but I think that is not the case - Thanks

PR has the same EQ as PM2, P2, which is semi-Parametric EQ with the following band coverage, I'm quoting my P2/PM2 review:

"...you have access to 10 Band EQ where each band has 3 selectable values: 63/76/92, 112/135/164, 200/240/290, 350/430/520, 620/750/910, 1.1k/1.3k/1.6k, 2k/2.4k/2.9k, 3.5k/4.2k/5.1k, 6.2k/7.5k/9k, 10.9k/13.2k/16k. You can adjust every band by +/- 12 steps and select bandwidth (Q) of each frequency as normal, wide, or narrow – turning this EQ into Parametric EQ".

This is more than enough to cover EQ adjustment, and it goes down to 60Hz.

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #71 of 448
Thanks for the input.

Any comparison with the Plenue D?

Don't have PD, but it's their entry level lower-fi model. I heard from a number of people it's below PM2 in sound quality and overall performance (slower touch screen response, etc). PR is above PM2 for sure. Not quite at P2 level of resolution and dynamics, but it's approaching that level.

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #72 of 448
Twist? How does this pair with Zeus XR?

I sent my review pair of XRA long time ago to Jack for reshelling into XR. It's been probably 4+ months since I heard Zeus, thus it hasn't been featured in any of the latest comparisons or pair-ups.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #73 of 448
PR has the same EQ as PM2, P2, which is semi-Parametric EQ with the following band coverage, I'm quoting my P2/PM2 review:

"...you have access to 10 Band EQ where each band has 3 selectable values: 63/76/92, 112/135/164, 200/240/290, 350/430/520, 620/750/910, 1.1k/1.3k/1.6k, 2k/2.4k/2.9k, 3.5k/4.2k/5.1k, 6.2k/7.5k/9k, 10.9k/13.2k/16k. You can adjust every band by +/- 12 steps and select bandwidth (Q) of each frequency as normal, wide, or narrow – turning this EQ into Parametric EQ".

This is more than enough to cover EQ adjustment, and it goes down to 60Hz.

Thanks for the intel -That sounds like a pretty great EQ, though I disagree it's enough for the bottom end, at least as I understand it.
I like to shape a sub bass curve for the Andromedas and 400i starting at about 50hz so I'm hoping there is some other management for those lower frequencies. Most every basic EQ reaches lower to 30 hz - so I'm a bit puzzled by the omission, especially since the Eq In Jet audio app has full bandwidth with 20 frequencies.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #74 of 448
Thanks for the intel -That sounds like a pretty great EQ, though I disagree it's enough for the bottom end, at least as I understand it.
I like to shape a sub bass curve for the Andromedas and 400i starting at about 50hz so I'm hoping there is some other management for those lower frequencies. Most every basic EQ reaches lower to 30 hz - so I'm a bit puzzled by the omission, especially since the Eq In Jet audio app has full bandwidth with 20 frequencies.

I haven’t used the JetAudio app but have had a few Cowons- S9,J3,Plenue D and 1. In addition to the EQ bands they also have other effects which include a setting called Mach3 bass. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a frequency curve showing exactly what it’s effect is, but subjectively it sounds like a bass boost in the sub-EQ and lower-EQ range. You can dial it up from 0 (off) to about 9 I think- I’m not sure what the maximum is as I never needed to put it that high. I can assure you you’ll get all the bass you need between the EQ bands and Mach3 bass settings.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #75 of 448
Cant find too many places where I could buy it online in South East Asia. Anyone have any leads to order online from either China, HK, Malaysia, Singapore etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back