Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Nov 6, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #106 of 448
Which one has better sound the M2, r or M? Have the D right now and thinking of upgrading.
I have the D, M,M2 andP1 - have not tried the R or P2 yet but my preference so far is the M - this is very close to the P1 but slightly fuller sound without jet effect engaged. They are all good players so you can't go wrong with any- the P1 is very cheap now and great value at current price

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #107 of 448
Which one has better sound the M2, r or M? Have the D right now and thinking of upgrading.

Twister6 wrote a few pages back in the thread:
I will have first impressions soon, but we are talking about a sound sig very close to new Plenue 2, neutral revealing sound, maybe with PR a touch brighter, but still close to neutral sig. Technically, P2 has an advantage, blacker background, a little more dynamics and transparency. PM2 is noticable warmer, the same as the original Plenue should be. Also, PM2 has more hissing and not as resolving in comparison to PR.

I previously had the D but have never heard the R, M or M2 to compare it with.

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #108 of 448
I have the D, M,M2 andP1 - have not tried the R or P2 yet but my preference so far is the M - this is very close to the P1 but slightly fuller sound without jet effect engaged. They are all good players so you can't go wrong with any- the P1 is very cheap now and great value at current price

I see. Too bad they all have very short battery life. I expected more for the asking price....

Twister6 wrote a few pages back in the thread:

Thanks. Hopefully there will be reviews soon and comparisons.

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #109 of 448
Tried to look around if any alternatives on the market exist now. Also taking into account that I move to low impedance ortofon family.

My favorite onkyo DAPs, especially when a new DP-S1A is coming - too high output impedance, no optical output
New AK70 MKII - do not like AK products since I do not like DAC chips they implement
Opus #2,3 - questionable, #2 is out of budget and not that compact ( the DAP will not be my main source, so it should not cost that much)
Various Chinese DAPs - no, thank you. Do not believe in price/reliability/performance ratio

So basically Plenue R is one the main candidates - BB chip, compact and light weight, optical output, SE and balanced outputs, matching with my Vantam CML size wise.
On the other hand there are no streaming capabilities (Tidal, etc) which is odd, we are close to 2018 but Cowon stuck somewhere in 2010, and not that much power on board (1,4 vrms / 1,6 vrms)

So I'm looking forward to Twister6' review:wink:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #110 of 448

For what it's worth, here's my short take on the PM2 compared to the D.
I was originally going for the new R but found the M2 somewhere cheaper.
Also, I heard only good things about the Burr-Brown PCM1795's sound signature so I went for it without thinking twice.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #111 of 448
Also, I heard only good things about the Burr-Brown PCM1795's sound signature so I went for it without thinking twice.
I personally adore this DAC...in my Vantam CML, just unbeatable SQ but never heard anything even close to it in DAPs. I have not heard any Plenue on BB yet though...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #112 of 448
For what it's worth, here's my short take on the PM2 compared to the D.
I was originally going for the new R but found the M2 somewhere cheaper.

I see. Yeah, I was thinking of getting the M until I saw the r has better battery life as I don't want to buy something so expensive with such a short battery life... That's why thinking of the r but also don't want to sacrifice sound quality....

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #113 of 448
I see. Yeah, I was thinking of getting the M until I saw the r has better battery life as I don't want to buy something so expensive with such a short battery life... That's why thinking of the r but also don't want to sacrifice sound quality....

Do you listen to 7h of music straight and/or do not have access to a charger in-between sessions?
It's an honest question--I don't and, therefore, do not find the battery life of the M2 to be an issue.

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #114 of 448
Do you listen to 7h of music straight and/or do not have access to a charger in-between sessions?
It's an honest question--I don't and, therefore, do not find the battery life of the M2 to be an issue.
For me 7hrs is also way to short, even though I do have access to a charger most of the time and don't listen 7hrs, for me it's more about durability, even if you take very good care of your device the first thing that will give in is the battery, therefore I like it to be either replaceable or as big as possible. if 15 hrs turn into 7 its still okay for me, if 7 turn into 3-4 that's too little

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #115 of 448
My Vantam Limited dac/amp is 3-3,5 hours only and I'm more than happy with it.
Frankly speaking it is 90% of the time stays either in the office or at home close to electricity).

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #116 of 448
OK, the review is done and finally posted: https://twister6.com/2017/11/10/cowon-plenue-r/. Will mirror it on Head-fi next week, but for now, enjoy the reading.

cowon_pr-10.jpg

Nov 11, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #118 of 448
Nov 11, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #120 of 448
OK, the review is done and finally posted: https://twister6.com/2017/11/10/cowon-plenue-r/. Will mirror it on Head-fi next week, but for now, enjoy the reading.

Thanks for the review!

Quick question: you wrote in your review that "P2 and PR share a similar more neutral-revealing sound, while PM2 has neutral-smoother tonality which is a little warmer. That’s why I found more often reaching out to use JetEffect with PM2, and not so much with P2 and PR."

Which JetEffects do you ended up going for on the PM2?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back