Cowon Plenue P1
Jan 8, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #1,847 of 2,974

Don't recognise what your Plenue is doing. Definitely get it looked at by a Cowon repair centre. I only ever charge from the mains or a USB battery. No problems at all - except for finding more and more money you buy more and more music for it!

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #1,850 of 2,974
It's good to know :)

I also have a pair of Westone W40, but the fit isn't right for my ears. Although I like the sound signature

I love my PM-3 too

I am seeking a P1 in second hand. I was firstly looking for an AK Jr, but if I can have a P1 for about 600€, I would prefer to take the P1 !

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #1,851 of 2,974
Just ordered a P1 today after some research. Hope it sounds as what I like.
I have two questions on the player:
1) how is it coupled with Hifiman HE-400i?
and 2) how well it supports cue sheet? This is the major reason I chose P1 over qp1r as it supports cue sheet. In the past few years I ripped most of my CDs to my computer in the format of cue+flac and a good cue support would save a lot of breaking my files to individual tracks. So if I put the cue and the related flac image into one folder and load into P1, how should I write in the cue for the location of the image in order to play it? And can P1 categorize the artists/album info from a cue sheet into its library? And how well it supports foreign languages (have some cue written in French, German and Japanese).

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,852 of 2,974
Ive had the Plenue for around 3 months and it has started to show its faults already.

On more than 1 occassion it has decided to stop being recognised by my computer and laptop. So wont commit to charging.

Another pain is that you cannot plug this into a smartphone style charger and charge via plugpoint?

Then the screen goes to a "glitch" screen colour reminiscent of the days I used to own a 80's nintendo system.

So now I am thinking to exchange this bugger for the QPR1 questyle which has seemed to got a lot of praise? any thoughts

I did REALLY enjoy the sound of plenue.... Super Smooth Sound Signature.

- My P1 can be charged by any of my USB wall chargers, my portable USB power banks etc. The only reasons i can see of this not being true is either a very low power wall charger, a faulty cable, or a faulty P1.

- Same for the computer connection. Either cable, PC or P1 are broken.

3 Months old. Warranty. Exchange for working model, if you verified the others. 

Frank

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #1,854 of 2,974
Got mine today... not time for a proper play, just it sounds amazing. In my very humble opinion better than the X7 miles ahead of the DX80 - a signature admittedly I disliked from the get go - better than the DX90. I think to me it is as good if not better than X7 LO to PureII+ .

I only have listened with my X1s at the moment but can't wait to get home and listen through my CE6Ps.

I hope that the Explorer which also uses a Burr-brown DAC has similar signature. If it does  that's me happy for a very long time! Amy McDonald and Diana Krall give me goosebumps through the P1.

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,855 of 2,974
  Got mine today... not time for a proper play, just it sounds amazing. In my very humble opinion better than the X7 miles ahead of the DX80 - a signature admittedly I disliked from the get go - better than the DX90. I think to me it is as good if not better than X7 LO to PureII+ .

I only have listened with my X1s at the moment but can't wait to get home and listen through my CE6Ps.

I hope that the Explorer which also uses a Burr-brown DAC has similar signature. If it does  that's me happy for a very long time! Amy McDonald and Diana Krall give me goosebumps through the P1.

Nice to see you here and that you like your new P1 that much already vrapan.
Try to invest some time in the user presets later on, it's really worth it imo
smily_headphones1.gif

To me the P1 is some kinda chameleon dap (using multiple user presets for different iems/hps). SQ is great indeed and its UI is the best I've ever experienced in a dap, period! Ultra fast scanning is also a big plus. I only wish it had a bit longer batterylife (I think mine has around 8 hrs at most, probably less) sometimes...
beerchug.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #1,856 of 2,974

Nice to see you here and that you like your new P1 that much already vrapan.
Try to invest some time in the user presets later on, it's really worth it imo
smily_headphones1.gif

To me the P1 is some kinda chameleon dap (using multiple user presets for different iems/hps). SQ is great indeed and its UI is the best I've ever experienced in a dap, period! Ultra fast scanning is also a big plus. I only wish it had a bit longer batterylife (I think mine has around 8 hrs at most, probably less) sometimes...
beerchug.gif

Hehe yes I do have that quick response to gear where I know quite quickly if I like them or not! DX90 yes, DX80 nop, SD2 yeap, SD3 nop, HE-560 mega-yes, EL-8 ewwwww and so on and so forth :p 

I will have a bit of time tonight after gym to listen and play around and see what it can do. Was going to go for the Plenue D initially but saw the P1 for a rather decent price so went for it and quite glad I did, 3 hours listening so far give or take and it really is very very enjoyable.

Yes I was very surprised about the scanning as well, it is much faster than the DX90, the AK JR chocked on a 64GB card and even the X7 took a little while to scan it. Not worried tooooo too much about battery life, it is mainly when I am desk bound at work that I needed it for and there is always a plug there!

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,857 of 2,974
Does anyone else here have a Mojo? I just picked one up, first impressions are that the P1 connected to a Headstage Arrow 5P is about 90%-95% similar. Same warm background, very similar signature. Stage is prob a bit wider than the standalone P1, but almost identical with the 5P.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,858 of 2,974
  Does anyone else here have a Mojo? I just picked one up, first impressions are that the P1 connected to a Headstage Arrow 5P is about 90%-95% similar. Same warm background, very similar signature. Stage is prob a bit wider than the standalone P1, but almost identical with the 5P.

P1 does not have a LO, so if you are connecting it with mojo you would rely on mojo's DAC, which is OK but not as good as P1's own.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,859 of 2,974
Has anyone heard both the P1 and the Esther M1/M1Pro? I'm at the verge of giving up the P1 for the Esther based on reviews and impressions I've read from in and out of Head-fi realms (Chinese websites...those translations are quite confusing.) Still, not sure if Im doing the right thing. Honestly, the P1 sounds really good driving my Zen 2 but at Normal EQ, the sound is really standard and sometimes dull and lifeless for some genres. I have to rely on EQ and BBE most of my listening time which makes it even harder for me to settle down given there's a lot of combinations and options to choose from. I need a DAP that sounds brilliant at first listen without tinkering much on the EQ. With the P1, I find myself tinkering with the EQ more than just relaxing and enjoying music. I am hoping the M1Pro will have that magic at least for me. In as much as I want to have a Lotto Paw Gold, I cannot afford one. :) Hope someone here can help me decide. Btw, I want to go as portable as it gets and doesn't want a separate amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back