Cowon Plenue P1
Aug 24, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #1,531 of 2,974
Received my Plenue P1 a few days ago and so far, I'm very impressed. The Sandisk 200GB MicroSDXC card works fine in the P1.  Not crazy about the cover over the USB port and SD card slot. The UI is a strange mix of plain, ugly, fancy and cool, but I like it.

The sound is very analog and musical. Plenty of power for HD700 & HE-400. Haven't tried any really difficult-to-drive headphones yet. I'll try the HD-800, Alpha Dog & K712 in a few days.

I don't usually use EQ or fancy sound enhancement features, but the P1 has so many, I may experiment a little.

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,532 of 2,974
Glad to hear you're enjoying it :wink: I also never used EQ before, but the P1's EQ drastically changes the sound - in a positive way. Usually hip hop sounds better with the 'hip hop' setting and EDM with 'dance' etc. If the sound gets congested with a lot of electric guitars while playing the Heir 8.A I'll use BBE Viva 2. YMMV of course.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #1,533 of 2,974
  Received my Plenue P1 a few days ago and so far, I'm very impressed. The Sandisk 200GB MicroSDXC card works fine in the P1.  Not crazy about the cover over the USB port and SD card slot. The UI is a strange mix of plain, ugly, fancy and cool, but I like it.

The sound is very analog and musical. Plenty of power for HD700 & HE-400. Haven't tried any really difficult-to-drive headphones yet. I'll try the HD-800, Alpha Dog & K712 in a few days.

I don't usually use EQ or fancy sound enhancement features, but the P1 has so many, I may experiment a little.

Bought a P1 in an eBay auction yesterday and will probably receive it next week.

Nice to read it goes well (at least enough power to drive it) with the HD700 (which I also have). Do you think the P1 is a big step up in sq compared to your Pono player (which imo also has an analogue soundsignature)?

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #1,534 of 2,974
all dap owners i strongly advise u add the headstage arrow to your gear you will be blown away by it

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #1,535 of 2,974
  Bought a P1 in an eBay auction yesterday and will probably receive it next week.

Nice to read it goes well (at least enough power to drive it) with the HD700 (which I also have). Do you think the P1 is a big step up in sq compared to your Pono player (which imo also has an analogue soundsignature)?

I think that the P1 is comparable sound-wise to the Pono in balanced mode.  The Pono hits well above it's price in sound quality. It's the Pono software and physical design where is falls way short. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,536 of 2,974
  I think that the P1 is comparable sound-wise to the Pono in balanced mode.  The Pono hits well above it's price in sound quality. It's the Pono software and physical design where is falls way short. 

I agree that the Pono balanced sounds way better than single ended, I bought and kept the Z5 and Z7 mainly because of this...when P1 is on the same level as Pono balanced, then I will be happy with it's sq
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, imo the Pono's biggest disappointment is the (too) short battery life. Although it has no folder view or EQ and needs good tagging, I'm fine with the rest of it myself...

Thanks for your feedback on the P1!

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,537 of 2,974
New owner here , looking for some help:

Loaded 128Gb onto SD and 128 onto main memory - plenue cataloged it under a minute, quite a difference form AK Jr I had before that was taking like 10 mins to parse 64GB main + 128Gb Card.

Small problem (or maybe just an operator mistake) - out of 700 albums  (take or give a few)  plenue would not recognize album art for 2-3%. strangely when you play a song that belong to an album it shows the art, however in album view for that same album it shows no art;  any suggestions?

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,538 of 2,974
Do you mean with album view where it shows all those icons next to each other, and you have to wait before it returns back to normal view? Yeah it hardly shows any album covers there for me, but I just think it's very annoying I have to wait it for it to get back to normal view. Does anyone know how to turn that off?

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,539 of 2,974
Yes, that album view when you turn the player into horizontal position. for me once I flipped to vertical it returns back to normal right away, not sure why you have to wait.
So in that view it shows like 97% of my album art. only few a missing ...
I'm starting to think it it happens when album art is not in the tag. but rather a file in the directory. What i mean is if you have a directory with some songs and in that directory you have file called front.jpg (and maybe cover.jpg and/or folder.jpg) it will use that as an art for any song in that directory that does not have art in the tag. It will not however use it as an image foir an album. so to have album images displayed you must have images in the tag.

I'll do more testing to confirm, but from what i've seen so far i believe this is the case..

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,540 of 2,974
My theory is that when you add an album it makes a seperate copy of the image for the 'cover flow' style view. But if you make a change to the album the original image is not updated. So if I have a non-recognised image and update it the new version displays in the main view but not cover flow. That is harder to update. In fact i havevto completely delete the album, play something else, turn it off and then reinstall the corrected album to make a complete change.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,541 of 2,974
Anyone used the custom EQ's? If so, what do the "Normal", "Wide" and "Narrow" settings do? Also you can toggle through 3 different frequencies per band for example, 3.5 kHz, 4.2 kHz or 5.1 kHz?? Thanks.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,542 of 2,974
i can confirm now that if you have an album (or any set of songs for that matter) in a single folder and an image file front.jpg penue will use that image for any song in the folder that does not have embedded image in the tag;  it will NOT use that image as an album art in the "cover flow" view.
I think that does make sense, as there are maybe songs from different albums in that folder.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #1,543 of 2,974
my guess is that if you choose lets say 3.5Hz then frequencies next to 3.5kHz  (on left and right of 3.5) get affected as well. lets say range will be 3kHz to 4kHz. In the normal mode range becomes wider, maybe 2.5kHz to 4.5kHz, and then in wide mode range becomes something like 2kHz to 5kHz 

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,545 of 2,974
  Btw, is there a noticeable change in SQ between firmware 2.0 and 2.14 (or whatever the latest version is)?

In my humble opinion no change, not a sausage, nada, zero. However others may disagree.
There are pages on the AK forum about how updates can change the sound despite the fact manufacturers never
say the sound has changed and the updates just improve the operational aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back