Cowon Plenue P1
Jul 14, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #406 of 2,974
Honestly no clue. Bottom line is I will wait a bit before investing...with 901, RWAK240 and Tera at home, competition is stiff for newcomers.

That is so true... it would need to seriously impress to crack the starting lineup.... don't really need another bench oops I mean drawer-warmer.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #407 of 2,974
I tried all the Terra's and Hifimans and am not impressed all things considered,
If this one is any good( say..next to ak240) at all ,it'll be a winner in my book.
Problem is Export Prive don't actually have it in stock:frowning2:((
Latests info:grin::rage:

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #408 of 2,974
I mean like RWAK240 costs 2-3 times more than the P1 just to make it sound more like HM-901
tongue_smile.gif
, HM-901 is an ugly brick that makes us look like mentally unstable dudes on subways 
biggrin.gif
and Tera does not even have a screen in 2014 (and I mean buying from a guy would double the price just to watch head-fiers get really angry on head-fi).

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #409 of 2,974
I mean like RWAK240 costs 2-3 times more than the P1 just to make it sound more like HM-901 :tongue_smile: , HM-901 is an ugly brick that makes us look like mentally unstable dudes on subways :D and Tera does not even have a screen in 2014 (and I mean buying from a guy would double the price just to watch head-fiers get really angry on head-fi).

I really couldn't even begin to explain how unstable you have to be to get a Terra at the current pricing:laughing:

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #410 of 2,974
Lets all hope apple gets in this game, the only company large enough to built a great sounding DAP is apple. It will happen, it is matter of time. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #412 of 2,974
I tried all the Terra's and Hifimans and am not impressed all things considered,
If this one is any good( say..next to ak240) at all ,it'll be a winner in my book.
Problem is Export Prive don't actually have it in stock:frowning2:((
Latests info:grin::rage:

I mean like RWAK240 costs 2-3 times more than the P1 just to make it sound more like HM-901
tongue_smile.gif
, HM-901 is an ugly brick that makes us look like mentally unstable dudes on subways 
biggrin.gif
and Tera does not even have a screen in 2014 (and I mean buying from a guy would double the price just to watch head-fiers get really angry on head-fi).

Trying a few players amd owning them all for a while to test them on the long run with various CIEMs and IEMs is a whole different story. Anyways, DAPwise today, these are the top dog sound wise along with DX100, and I have own almost all of them. Making a list of all the deffects of each existing player once more is quite pointless as they all have their use in my book.

What I am saying is that if the SQ is not at 901 / RWAK240 level, then no point. And even then, it better be good on other aspects. I am a Cowon fan, but the competition is increasingly intense, so an improved Z2 would not cut it.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #413 of 2,974
Trying a few players amd owning them all for a while to test them on the long run with various CIEMs and IEMs is a whole different story. Anyways, DAPwise today, these are the top dog sound wise along with DX100, and I have own almost all of them. Making a list of all the deffects of each existing player once more is quite pointless as they all have their use in my book.

What I am saying is that if the SQ is not at 901 / RWAK240 level, then no point. And even then, it better be good on other aspects. I am a Cowon fan, but the competition is increasingly intense, so an improved Z2 would not cut it.

If the P1 is only an improved Z2 i will be majorly disappointed and will give up on Cowon.
However,the chances of that imo are fairly small,the specs are high and tho it means nothing i don't believe a company can be this stupid not to get Ak's and HM's on their desks before they tune their new player.
It is a clear(advertising wise) competitor to the ak240 and i think they'll get it right.
Also,sometimes i miss cowons very well implemented eq options,i literally have had all the daps mentioned and tho i have become a purist(no eq),that has been mainly due to the poor eq implementation on even the best sounding ones.
Will never be a Tera purist me tho..:wink:

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #414 of 2,974
I dont see why it has no point firstly, it does not cost as much as RWAK240 or even stock AK240. Not many people want to spend so much just to be or feel that they are on "top"... it is not a competition and not all of us are elitist. Importantly, what is this "top SQ" we are talking about and what is the reference? secondly,  It looks good and/or close to ordinary digital gadgets (and smaller than Calyx M). lastly, it has a higher chance to deliver a more stable UI

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #416 of 2,974
  I dont see why it has no point firstly, it does not cost as much as RWAK240 or even stock AK240. Not many people want to spend so much just to be or feel that they are on "top"... it is not a competition and not all of us are elitist. Importantly, what is this "top SQ" we are talking about and what is the reference? secondly,  It looks good and/or close to ordinary digital gadgets (and smaller than Calyx M). lastly, it has a higher chance to deliver a more stable UI

+1

I agree. I auditioned the ZX1 my friends 901 and AK100  and still preferred the sound coming out of my S9. If those players are the supposed 'benchmark' for "top" sound (whatever that even means) then I am happy that I can purchase something that suits my needs for a fraction of the cost. So I disagree that it would be "pointless". 

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #417 of 2,974

Once you are spending 1.2k$ on a DAP, you cannot position yourself in the "not elitist" category. Of course AK240 price is totally moronic and I am ashamed for spending so much, but 1.2k$ is already in the elitist category. Non elitist will look at DX90, X5 and the like...excellent sound at a reasonnable price. Once you cross the 1k line you are clearly willing to pay for every bit of SQ....but that is just my opinion, and what do I know, I am crazy enough to have 4k worth of DAPs.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #418 of 2,974
No one is insulting anyone here,
It is just a fact that however much one can enjoy an S9 it is by no means in the same league as x5 or dx90 or the rest of them.
One only respects the opinion of someone that has basically heard and owns all of these daps and more..
I also like Cowon sound,it is exciting,but it's no audiophile in terms of "pure" standards most of us discuss here.
Therefore,the hope that P1 will be and has to be on a completely different league to older Cowons, otherwise why the fancy dacs ,price etc..
On the other end of the scale imo sits the Tera player which purer or whatever people claim it is ,to me is a complete and utter nonsense..

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #420 of 2,974
First things guys: I am only judging what I see here, which is an opinion, not the person behind it, so please refrain from judging me by transfering you own insecurities. And just a few comments on the "contents" of your criticism:

1. People who have high post counts are not losers with no life. They have just invested some time in this community, so please respect that
  2. Having a lot of gear and spending money on it is a personal choice, money was certainly not stolen, please do not judge it either
  3. I am certainly not "jealous" of people satisfied with cheaper gear, you obviously did not read what I wrote

Since only audionewbi and soundblast75 understood what I wrote, I will go over it again:

1. There is a limit to subjectiveness. Saying that technically top gear is not as good as technically average gear should come with much more context as it may be misleading for many people who have not heard said gear
  2. As audionewbi, saying : "I have heard X at a friend's house and it is not as good as my Y" is not as valid a comparison as owning all of said gear for a long period of time. THAT is why my opinion is based on more solid ground than yours, NO OTHER REASON

No back to the topic of Cowon Plenue P1. Marketing strategy is something quite clear in certain respects, so here is what I meant:
  1. By selling at 1k+ DAP, Cowon is entering the market segment of the top dogs, it is directly competing with them.
  2. Doing this, it must present an offer that is competitive with them, i.e. when assessing the mix between SQ, ergonomics and price. However, since most people on headfi are very demanding on SQ, bringing in a DAP that is not at the level of the top dogs in terms of SQ is asking to fail. THIS IS WHAT I MEANT.
  3. And as for me, having owned / owning many DAPs (nothing pretentious, just stating facts, in case you want to shrink me again), I will be demanding on what Cowon has to offer, however much I love the brand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back