Cowon Plenue P1
Mar 22, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #76 of 2,974
Opps, Have not read entire thread.

What happened to JetEffect 6?

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #78 of 2,974

Well, it depends. The Jet Effect is not bad, the EQ works great, and the Mach 3 Bass, MP Enhance and Stereo Enhance are nice features. Now, the BBE, 3D Surround and Reverb are probably just gimmicks...but IMO they are still worth it.

As someone who has owned Cowons, and still owns one, I can confirm the following....

the EQ works great, and the Mach 3 Bass, MP Enhance and Stereo Enhance are nice features.

And this.....

the BBE, 3D Surround and Reverb are probably just gimmicks

that make the music sound artificial.

The 54 JetEffect presets mentioned in the one image posted, most if not all will sound godawful and unnatural. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #79 of 2,974

Me neither. The measured results are confirming that it is on "audiophile level". D/A conversion is the most numbers-driven subsection of high-end audio, much more so than anything else.

+1 
I think that cowon always was a step beyond in producing DAP, so I'm waiting for a reference device, despite they were a little bit out of play in the last few years. Actually I really don't understand why they didn't produce new mid level daps...
For what concerns JetEffect maybe it is not foundamental in an audiophile DAP, because of we assume that we start from an excellent music file, but having something that the others haven't is still an asset.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #80 of 2,974
No doubt this will be great!

Having owned the Z2 for almost 2 years (had to get rid of it since dacs were piling up), I just hope if it's android they have the latest OS. Also I hope they fix that battery issue they had with the Z2 (the back side heats up while charging in the first couple of months and the player used to 'brick', but when it cools down it works again).

I find it ironic that Sony talks about DSD, and hasnt implemented it in the ZX-1, while all these 'newer' companies are offering it. Thanks Cowon!

128GB internal + micro-sd slots is a huge plus for me!

Bye Sony!

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #81 of 2,974

Having owned the Z2 for almost 2 years (had to get rid of it since dacs were piling up), I just hope if it's android they have the latest OS. Also I hope they fix that battery issue they had with the Z2 (the back side heats up while charging in the first couple of months and the player used to 'brick', but when it cools down it works again).

I find it ironic that Sony talks about DSD, and hasnt implemented it in the ZX-1, while all these 'newer' companies are offering it. Thanks Cowon!

Bye Sony!

I believe that the battery that is in the Z2 has a temperature pin. The PMIC (power management IC) has a security feature. If the charging temperature is too high it shuts down, until the temperature of the battery reaches normal levels. This is most likely amateur blabla from me, because sometime read a lot of PMIC Datasheets.... A solution for this could be a lower current wall charger ~0,3A or lower. The battery cannot handle the fast charging. Cowon is always trying to put in large batteries to prolonge battery life. If you would like to charge it healthy, one would need a half day for a battery. What they do is to pump up the battery real fast and bring it to its spec limits.

If there could be a custom rom or kernel (I do not know where this is handled in Android), one could adjust the charging settings. One could get rid of that problem. BUT, take this with a grain of salt (this is for you whereas).

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #82 of 2,974

Bye Sony!

DSD has never been really successful in the industry. It's the flavour of the month right now....

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #86 of 2,974
This is good news for us consumers.

(turn on dreaming mode)

More competition means better products at more realistic prices. In the long term, we will see more quality products, which in turn helps promote better audio quality music in the industry.
And possibly help the Pono project make its statement come through more clearly that we need and want better recorded music.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #87 of 2,974
Maybe you're right about the wall adapter & the quick charge. All along while I had the Z2, I used the apple charger. Come to think of it maybe the battery used by the Z2 wasn't 'on par' with other dap batteries?? Also I use it for charging the walkmans and notice no heating problem.
Quote:

I believe that the battery that is in the Z2 has a temperature pin. The PMIC (power management IC) has a security feature. If the charging temperature is too high it shuts down, until the temperature of the battery reaches normal levels. This is most likely amateur blabla from me, because sometime read a lot of PMIC Datasheets.... A solution for this could be a lower current wall charger ~0,3A or lower. The battery cannot handle the fast charging. Cowon is always trying to put in large batteries to prolonge battery life. If you would like to charge it healthy, one would need a half day for a battery. What they do is to pump up the battery real fast and bring it to its spec limits.

If there could be a custom rom or kernel (I do not know where this is handled in Android), one could adjust the charging settings. One could get rid of that problem. BUT, take this with a grain of salt (this is for you whereas).

I dont see DSD pushing through anytime soon, unless all companies stop supporting the other formats which is highly unlikely. Most people have settled down with itunes, beatport etc. for those music formats all these years. Replacing those purchases with DSD will come out to be a hefty amount (as albums get released) and not worth it.

But I would like to have couple of my favorite albums in DSD eg. Scorpions - Savage Amusement. If that were the case just a few tracks are needed in DSD on my dap. In case. if it were to come I would be better off having a player that has DSD and filling it up in the long run, rather than buying a dap that hasnt the support yet. Looking out for my wallet in the future.

My big question is, do DSD albums sound better than CD? I dont hear any difference in sound from regular tracks and the so called 'remastered'. But I do hear a difference between 'trance' tracks of 2005 and their remasters.
DSD has never been really successful in the industry. It's the flavour of the month right now....

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #88 of 2,974
I have some little wishes for a more comfortable use:
first of all: the microSD database must be integrated with the internal memory, and second, (rockbox teaches) the possibility to have a skip folder option mantaining the shuffle mode, that it is not possible in the cowon DAPS I owned (ie you can skip folder, but in the order of the tracks. And if you have the shuffle mode on, it concerns the whole files you have, or just the folder you're playing.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #90 of 2,974
  Cowon better announce the price of this otherwise everybody will spend their money on X5 and DX90. ZX1 has already been here for a long while too.

The last thing we need is for Cowon to rush another player out!  Please no, for the love of God. Take your time Cowon and perfect it prior to release.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back