Cowon Plenue P1
Mar 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #62 of 2,974
popcorn.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #64 of 2,974
  The fact that they just list that it's an ARM makes me nervous. Probably a small volume ARM that isn't going to have very wide app support.

Assuming this runs Android which I hope it doesn't.

Every non-Android Cowon runs pretty smooth and fast and I expect nothing less on ARM. But if this does run Android then I second your comment.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #65 of 2,974

Assuming this runs Android which I hope it doesn't.

Every non-Android Cowon runs pretty smooth and fast and I expect nothing less on ARM. But if this does run Android then I second your comment.

Hmm, I thought that Plenue devices all ran Android. But I admit, I've never followed Cowon all that closely.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #66 of 2,974

Hmm, I thought that Plenue devices all ran Android. But I admit, I've never followed Cowon all that closely.

So far they have but their Android devices have been plagued with problems and lower battery power and just overall allot worse than their other models.

Also as ubiquitous as Android has become, you would assume that running Android would be marketed right off the bat if it ran it. There is no mention of that on any press shot/release so far. But based on history this being under the Plenue brand would indicate Android.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #68 of 2,974
Meh....

I'm unsubscribing - I just don't feel Cowon are 100% serious about competing with the big boys in the audiophile DAP arena. I just get the sense that they'll go 80% of the way, but not the full 100%.

All the best to those of you who stick around for the P1, and I genuinely hope I'm wrong in my skepticism.  :beerchug:

They may go 80%,but they do it at 30% of the cost

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #69 of 2,974

Exactly. My X9 isn't an audiophile DAP, but it's much better sounding than my iPod Classic and it costs less. The only problem I see with this is being underwhelmed at the sound quality. If you have a truly great sounding player, you don't need things like JetEffect at all. The fact that they're adding that makes me a bit worried, but the DAC chip looks promising.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #70 of 2,974
  Exactly. My X9 isn't an audiophile DAP, but it's much better sounding than my iPod Classic and it costs less. The only problem I see with this is being underwhelmed at the sound quality. If you have a truly great sounding player, you don't need things like JetEffect at all. The fact that they're adding that makes me a bit worried, but the DAC chip looks promising.

Well, it depends. The Jet Effect is not bad, the EQ works great, and the Mach 3 Bass, MP Enhance and Stereo Enhance are nice features. Now, the BBE, 3D Surround and Reverb are probably just gimmicks...but IMO they are still worth it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #71 of 2,974
Meh....

I'm unsubscribing - I just don't feel Cowon are 100% serious about competing with the big boys in the audiophile DAP arena. I just get the sense that they'll go 80% of the way, but not the full 100%.

All the best to those of you who stick around for the P1, and I genuinely hope I'm wrong in my skepticism.  :beerchug:

We know nothing about the Plenue 1's price though. XD

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #72 of 2,974
I read somewhere to expect at least a $1000 price tag. Hope they're wrong though..

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #73 of 2,974
I read somewhere to expect at least a $1000 price tag. Hope they're wrong though..

With the design and specs it does seems to be competing in the AK120/zx1/calyx M bracket and thus I won't be surprised at a msrp around usd1k.

It is actually spec'ed pretty nicely and not sure why some feel it won't be audiophile level. The gimmicky JetEffect does seems a bit consumer-ish but the rest of it is looking pretty good to me. Hopeful it does run full android with Play Store support and cowen learned and improved upon their past android issues (i.e. don't use cheap underpowered SoC or skim on RAM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back