Cowon Plenue P1
Jun 18, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #256 of 2,974
I am also glad that no Andriod is used, no useless feature set taking up space and slowing down the player.
On the Cowon page is says Embedded Linux, strange way to phrase it.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #257 of 2,974
I am also glad that no Andriod is used, no useless feature set taking up space and slowing down the player.

Maybe it is some real-time distribution. If you want to seriously fight that "jitter", you need to have the right OS for it. Kernel, drivers and thr playrr itself must be programmed differently. I believe there is an "audiphile"-Linux somewhere available.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #258 of 2,974
Oh crap I was looking forward to it being android with Google playstore support so I can use streaming apps... guess need to wait for next one!

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #259 of 2,974
Oh crap I was looking forward to it being android with Google playstore support so I can use streaming apps... guess need to wait for next one!

Oh poor you, what would you do without a dap. Oh crap, I forgot all your legendary daps for a second
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #260 of 2,974
Oh poor you, what would you do without a dap. Oh crap, I forgot all your legendary daps for a second :D

:D

But I do believe streaming is the future with 4G and/or wimax coverage more and more complete... there will be a market for android player with better DAC and AMP than our cellphones. Was hoping zx1's success will prompt more entry in this space!

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #261 of 2,974
:D

But I do believe streaming is the future with 4G and/or wimax coverage more and more complete... there will be a market for android player with better DAC and AMP than our cellphones. Was hoping zx1's success will prompt more entry in this space!

there's the ak240 with future Qobus streaming :p

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #262 of 2,974
biggrin.gif

I am looking at the subject from other way. I prefer very high capacity players that don't need any connection. I load my songs into it and I listen to it. No internet connection or something.

I am looking forward to see who will bring mSATAs in daps
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #266 of 2,974
  What linux thing? did you meant that this player will use some sort of android ?

It runs Embedded linux. Witch means its stripped down to only include the essentials. And made to be good at the one thing its designed to do. In this case, play music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_operating_system

PS Android is pretty far from linux these days.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #267 of 2,974

Technically Android is a form of linux. While most custom OSs tend to be based off of 'embedded linux' code (or something in the form I've heard.)
biggrin.gif

but I suppose this is a good thing since they can't seem to wrap their heads around getting android to work properly.

I wanna see Cowon do good, and technically it appears they are more than set to take on their target in a meaningful way, however yet again I will be cheering from the sidelines as this only vaguely resonates with my being 
tongue.gif

And I do hear android now only someone would tack on a real DAC and worthwhile ampstage to it I'd be set. bleh............. Uh ,,er. I mean YAY COWON!!!!!! 
atsmile.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #268 of 2,974

I am looking at the subject from other way. I prefer very high capacity players that don't need any connection. I load my songs into it and I listen to it. No internet connection or something.

I am looking forward to see who will bring mSATAs in daps
wink.gif

Yes Yes and Yes. Either it's a phone or it plays music very well. Are you listening Sony.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #269 of 2,974

Well, I do but there's something I'm not sure about. I guess battery life will vary if you listen to FLAC or 320K mp3s, right?

I want an audiophile player but not something that won't last me an overseas flight. I'm stuck with my J3 then? :/

you could do much worse than a J3
how good is the SQ when you have all that ambient airplane noise?

I know I could do much worse! But I've had it for 3 years now and I was just wondering if I should change it. Given how the Plenue P1 turned out, I guess I'm keeping it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #270 of 2,974
The battery life is a major disappointment... I don't see the point of going to a dedicated linux OS if it's to get such abysmal battery optimisation to be honest...If the goal was to a top audio player, then battery life should have been a key focus - especially at that price!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back