Cowon Plenue D
Dec 3, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #61 of 4,949
I was considering getting the Plenue 1, but it seems that this new Plenue D has better SNR and other stats. I just care about sound quality, but something way cheaper would be a big help too. Should I get 1 or D?

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #62 of 4,949
I was considering getting the Plenue 1, but it seems that this new Plenue D has better SNR and other stats. I just care about sound quality, but something way cheaper would be a big help too. Should I get 1 or D?
Just get both.I have the M and will get this D.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #64 of 4,949
Just get both.I have the M and will get this D.

...B-both... ? I mean, I live in Canada so that would cost me around $1700 CAD, man. I can afford either one, I just want the best sounding one.

Wats a plenue 1? P? M?

Wait for reviews and impressions my advice.

Basically. I was hoping some people on here have heard of them themselves (or even tested it already).

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #65 of 4,949
Everytime I use my Plenue M I am in awwwe.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #66 of 4,949
Nah the Plenue D is just out, you'll have to wait a couple more days before anyone can offer impressions. Then again you'll also have to wait longer for a M or P owner to compare with a D.

I seriously think yer over analysing the sound aspect. Cowon's have always sounded very very similar to one another. I would absolutely bet my children's lives on the fact you would not be able to tell the difference between the 3 of them blind tested hehehe.

I said this also on the M thread that Cowon are renowned for carrying the widest DSP range possible. If Flat isn't too yer liking, or that the pairing with yer specific headphones isn't singing and dancing then you have plenty of headroom to change values and tweak to get the sound signature you desire the most.

Choose one from a feature perspective is my advice. Only thing I would mention is that perhaps the P or M are more powerful and suit can listeners whereas the D might be more IEM friendly (it's certainly smaller and more portable/lighter). But I'm guessing here, it's just the P and M are heavier and so I'm guessing their guts more powerful to drive harder headphones.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #67 of 4,949
The D2 does not sound like the J3 and neither sounds as good as the Plenue 1. The Plenue 1 and Plenue M do sound alike.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #68 of 4,949

The Plenue D only superior in terms of SNR, for THD and crosstalk, The Plenue 1 still holds the crown. IMO, Plenue D is a budget player from Cowon, so there will be compromises in terms of SQ compare to P1 and M, but I will really glad if Cowon proves me wrong. Budget player who surpases their SQ's flagship?! thats neat!!

I'm planning to buy the plenue D just because the battery life and.. newer toy.

Everytime I use my Plenue M I am in awwwe.

This!! I really glad i chose the M over ZX100 and AK Jr :D :D :D

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #69 of 4,949
The Plenue D only superior in terms of SNR, for THD and crosstalk, The Plenue 1 still holds the crown. IMO, Plenue D is a budget player from Cowon, so there will be compromises in terms of SQ compare to P1 and M, but I will really glad if Cowon proves me wrong. Budget player who surpases their SQ's flagship?! thats neat!!

I'm planning to buy the plenue D just because the battery life and.. newer toy.

I have the ZX100 and had the Jt. The M is a lot better in sound.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #70 of 4,949

"budget..." lol really? It costs $399USD currently, talks of it being $260 but have yet to be proved, and apparently $399AUD. Hardly budget. Middle of the field I would say.

I sincerely doubt there will be any compromises, at least any that are audible. Volume matched, same headphones used, same DSPs applied and blind tested I guarantee no one will be able to tell which DAP is playing. It's like asking me to compare the C2 and i9+ against one another, they sound exactly the same. I even doubt a P or M user would correctly identify (during certain passages in a song) between them and a i9 or M2 lmao.

What is true is that the P or M may hiss less than a i9 or c2, helpful under certain conditions (being headphone dependent and genre, classical vs metal or pop etc), but really... we're splitting hairs.

It's like the whole Hi Res/Flac vs 320kbps argument all over again. ABX testing proves that users cannot ascertain a difference between those files, anyone who says they can is either misguided (between recording sources), wrong, suffering placebo and never able to prove they can (under abx conditions) or on video etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrfX-g8auc8

Whats sad is that P and M owners who shelled a fortune are essentially getting ripped off by the introductuion of this Plenue D model at this price point, it will virtually sound the same and has 10x the battery life, is smaller also. It may lack some other features (line out, more lyric support), but I bet many P and M owners will go on the defense about how much better their model is over the D just to make themselves feel better and less ripped off. Naughty Cowon if u ask me.

(by the way not attacking you specifically u understand), I am a long term Cowon and this is just my 2 cents. Happy to be proven wrong in the future... :)

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #71 of 4,949
Is the difference in amplification really that insignificant? The Plenue 1 and M have double the output of the D, that must make a difference for higher impedance cans.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #72 of 4,949

"budget..." lol really? It costs $399USD currently, talks of it being $260 but have yet to be proved, and apparently $399AUD. Hardly budget. Middle of the field I would say.

I sincerely doubt there will be any compromises, at least any that are audible. Volume matched, same headphones used, same DSPs applied and blind tested I guarantee no one will be able to tell which DAP is playing. It's like asking me to compare the C2 and i9+ against one another, they sound exactly the same. I even doubt a P or M user would correctly identify (during certain passages in a song) between them and a i9 or M2 lmao.

What is true is that the P or M may hiss less than a i9 or c2, helpful under certain conditions (being headphone dependent and genre, classical vs metal or pop etc), but really... we're splitting hairs.

It's like the whole Hi Res/Flac vs 320kbps argument all over again. ABX testing proves that users cannot ascertain a difference between those files, anyone who says they can is either misguided (between recording sources), wrong, suffering placebo and never able to prove they can (under abx conditions) or on video etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrfX-g8auc8

Whats sad is that P and M owners who shelled a fortune are essentially getting ripped off by the introductuion of this Plenue D model at this price point, it will virtually sound the same and has 10x the battery life, is smaller also. It may lack some other features (line out, more lyric support), but I bet many P and M owners will go on the defense about how much better their model is over the D just to make themselves feel better and less ripped off. Naughty Cowon if u ask me.

(by the way not attacking you specifically u understand), I am a long term Cowon and this is just my 2 cents. Happy to be proven wrong in the future... :)

Pardon my mistake about budget, I feel like seeing the lines of Walkman, ZX2, ZX100 and A15, they have similiar positioning. I wont argue about the SQ since i havent tried it yet, please note the IMO. My opinion based on difference price between the D, M and the P1. Current price for P1 is $900, M $750 and D expected $250. I said it once again, I'm really happy if Cowon proves me wrong. If the Plenue D turns out to be superior than P1.  

Luckily, I got my Plenue M for around $499 :p brand new, sealed. Beside the cheaper price I got for my Plenue M, I feel the Plenue M still has few advantages against the Plenue D. Fluid UI, Cowon stated the M has dual core for the UI (but they didint state anything about processor for the Plenue D), higher screen resolution, bigger screen for navigation and high gain mode to drive headphones.

I had A15, tried X3ii, AKJR, ZX100 and X5ii. Yes, the Plenue M hiss less than the others. This is an important factor to me due my sensitive IEMs (most of them are BAs)

Superior than P1 or not, the Plenue D still on my list due its form factor and longer battery life. I really hope that this Plenue D will give Cowon success, due its great price and their great effort. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back