Cowon J3 - Personal User EQ Settings
Jun 11, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #107 of 221

Quote:
that is what i initially thought, but the settings sound good on most songs. also, i notice that the majority of settings recommended both here and on iaudiophile.com have a lot of db added and the users who recommend these settings all claim to have spent a long time adjusting the settings very carefully. 
i get restless with settings and change them often, so i dont think it will be long until i change back to a minimalist setting.

yea i think the setting depends 100% on the headphone and/if there is an amp.  my jh16s settings are different. i tried most here but i always lower the machbass a little.  now i have the SR71B and it sounds so good.  the j3 is good without an amp (at least with my jh16s) but with the sr71b the j3 is awesome.  of course the amp is 3x the price of the j3 but still. 

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #108 of 221
Quote:
i now use this setting for all my music. the one change i implemented is that i changed the "220Hz Wide +5db" to 385Hz Normal -1db. I find that this increases bass impact without overpowering the music and generally sounds better. EQ is personal opinion and this is mine.

I will try that :)

Quote:
im not very experienced with EQing but wouldnt it be best to use +5 as zero and adjust from there? youre adding a lot of dB to the sound.  i like to use EQ as a subtle enhancement, not a total change of the sound.

That's what I originally thought and that's how it should be.  Unfortunately, the boost in dB is compensation for a fault in the tone quality of the player so that's how it needs to be IMHO for the J3 to open up  a little bit from it's default cold/bitter sound.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #110 of 221
no, dude some db's in sound are not that bad at all... but you must lower the volume... anyway, for me as a sennheiser user, i must lower the 100hz setting.... in rest, big bart of it, i have added some db's do eq...

i can say that it really improoves the sound... and that is it... 
and bass can be improoved by mach3bass.... ya know?.. i have sennheiser ie8, which are very bass heavy, and i still have mach3bass to 10... si it is all a thing of taste....

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #111 of 221
Mach3bass increases thump for the most part - not especially clarity/volume with added warmth or anything.  On the Cowon J3, EQ is the only thing really where you can truly affect bass (of the clean instrumental sort - the "wooo"'s). 

Increasing dB  for the EQ as I mentioned is necessary IMO for this player, though in reality, my preference wouldn't be to do it of course.  A selection of 5 frequency ranges just isn't enough for this adjustment not to be without flaws (for obvious reasons).  In this particular case, it just makes up for it with a lot more.  The pros outweigh the cons though the cons are more logically obvious before having tried it.  At least a 7-band EQ would be necessary for such a flaw with the Cowon J3 sound by default to be justifiable.  Tone is very important.

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #112 of 221
yes, but there is the thing that you do not have only 5 bands... you have 5X3 bands which comes, to 15 bands, only 5 can be used in the same time, but 15 posiibilities, and 12 presets, up, 12 presets down... this will make something like 5X3X12X2... which is 360, from which you can get into the 5 things in the same time.... and if we add the mach3bass and bbe we got 360*10*2 which get into something like 7200 and we can add the setereo, wich is *6 and we have the mp enchanche... wich gets *2... and there you go... 86.400 presets..... at least matematic....so.... now everyone has a reason of buying a cowon j3....

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #113 of 221
and i never calculated this thing if you whould arleady be having the 3d enchace, because i hate it, and the reverb.... with those two, you will have somewhere around 5184000 possibilities to chose from... now i do know that i should be getting some monwy from this thing... because tomorrow, the whole planet will buy even the last cowon j3 after reading this thing....

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #116 of 221
It was less a complaint then just something I pointed out about it.  It's something that I was surprised about because I realized the limitations of the device almost instantly when i thought I would've been able to do ANYTHING.  I don't know what was the point of listing all the possibilities; as Auhafezi said, that doesn't really mean anything.  You can pretty much do that with any player with any kind of EQ.  The Samsung P3 has a similar amount of EQ options but just like with the Cowon J3, I'd probably be able to find that one huge limiting factor when trying to get the sound to sound one major way over another. 

My point was just that with 7 frequency adjustments at the same time, it'd be possible to overlook this flaw that the J3 brings to the table.  So close and yet so far...

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #117 of 221
yes, but you see, i had lots and i mean lots of portable players.... j3 is the most flawless from them.... it just can modify the sound, without destroying it... i had a player, i cannot remember by who was it made, which has 12 badnds of eq... it sounded worse.... the point, is that, yes, 7 would be better than 5... but for what it is able to do with 5, i would never complain...

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #118 of 221

Quote:
yes, but you see, i had lots and i mean lots of portable players.... j3 is the most flawless from them.... it just can modify the sound, without destroying it... i had a player, i cannot remember by who was it made, which has 12 badnds of eq... it sounded worse.... the point, is that, yes, 7 would be better than 5... but for what it is able to do with 5, i would never complain...

Oh yeah.  I pride my Cowon with that all the time.  It has the best EQ ever.  Everything else is such crap even if it has 20.  All I'm saying is that with making it 7, it would override its biggest flaw almost completely because it'd make it fixable (though I still wouldn't find it acceptable to begin with TBH).  The Samsung P3 is easier to deal with and definitely has a NICER sound - better to begin with as well.  So there are players that are comparable, especially depending on preference.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #119 of 221
I'm fairly new to EQ-ing as well. I'm considering purchasing the J3 as my next media device from my iPod Touch 2G and I'm wondering how the EQ is adjusted with the J3.

I just watched a video of the EQu parametric equalizer app for the iPod Touch (3rd gen and higher), and it looks easy to use. I know that the J3 doesn't use a parametric EQ, so I'm wondering how it's adjusted and how fine of frequencies you can adjust. The Official Cowon J3 User Manual doesn't have anything about how to adjust the EQ other than using the presets.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #120 of 221
Just spent hours before bed trying to find the perfect settings for my RE0's... Will post later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back