2.4khz = 6 wide
13khz = 7 wide

BBE = 9
Mach3Bass = 8
3D = 1
Mp Enhance = on

Stereo enhance = 1

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #94 of 221
apart from the thing that they are completly oposite?... the thing that one does not have the mids, so no voice, and other... other does not have guitars at all...

they are not similar in my view...but they are not that well with any other cans... in fact, it is pretty horrible with any cans i tried... tell me, do they sound great, with ath m50 ?......

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #95 of 221

Quote:
apart from the thing that they are completly oposite?... the thing that one does not have the mids, so no voice, and other... other does not have guitars at all...

they are not similar in my view...but they are not that well with any other cans... in fact, it is pretty horrible with any cans i tried... tell me, do they sound great, with ath m50 ?......

i agree they are completely opposite, but i think typhoon means that both have highly boosted frequencies.
i also agree that they both sound horrible, especially the first one, on all the headphones i have tried them on including the ath m50.
when i reduced the volume to 15, the second one was decent though and sounds fairly similar to typoon's settings for the ath m50.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #96 of 221

Quote:

Quote:
i agree they are completely opposite, but i think typhoon means that both have highly boosted frequencies.
i also agree that they both sound horrible, especially the first one, on all the headphones i have tried them on including the ath m50.
when i reduced the volume to 15, the second one was decent though and sounds fairly similar to typoon's settings for the ath m50.

Yeah, I meant that they're both boosted.  That's not an indicator of much if you see them as being horrible settings though, lol.  I'm always brutally honest and even though I agree, that's one thing that I wouldn't mention in such a fashion.  Point was mainly just the boost thing though.  That's not as consistent with other EQ devices/software and that's because the Cowon J3 needs this to sound good.  It's pretty much an actual limitation of this device.  I explained why, so no need to restate it >.<

Also, auhafezi, 15?  That's pretty darn quite.  Even at the quietest point that I wanted to listen to music, the lowest volume level I put with one of the loudest songs ended up 16.  That's very rare for me though and 20 is really the minimum volume level before the songs start losing quality.  Bass is strongly affected, especially starting below 18.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #97 of 221
most of the time 15 is ok for me, as my house is usually quiet.
also, i dont know whether you've done it, but if you reset your J3 by deleting the file pmp_usb and choose non-eu when you turn it on again, the volume becomes considerably higher than before.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #98 of 221
Hi!
I'm using an S9, but here is what I use with my M50

80 Hz- 5 - wide
300 Hz - 2 - wide
1.4 kHz - 6 - wide
4.1 kHz - 6 - wide
11.7 kHz - 5 - wide

BBE:10
Mach3Bass : 1
3D Surround: 1
MP Enhance: On
Stereo Enhance: 2
Reverb: Off

I needed more forward vocals and mids, this is what I've settled on....
Mainly on volume 20-22, but I never go higher....

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #99 of 221
Quote:
most of the time 15 is ok for me, as my house is usually quiet.
also, i dont know whether you've done it, but if you reset your J3 by deleting the file pmp_usb and choose non-eu when you turn it on again, the volume becomes considerably higher than before.

Oh man, believe me, it's loud enough for me, lol.  Since I don't like going below 20 and I consider that my minimum volume, especially for my IEM Brainwavz M2 headphones, that could be very loud so any louder would mean that there'd be too many songs I couldn't tolerate at such levels, which would further mean I'd really have to be sacrificing quality, in the purest sense of the word.  If you're just trying to tell me that you think yours is louder for this reason (though I doubt it; that's like some kind of glitch then, essentially), then I'd be telling you that it's bad because of detail loss and unequal volume changes in random frequencies at random intervals (exception to only several consistencies) when the volume of the unit is below 20.

Quote:
Hi!
I'm using an S9, but here is what I use with my M50

80 Hz- 5 - wide
300 Hz - 2 - wide
1.4 kHz - 6 - wide
4.1 kHz - 6 - wide
11.7 kHz - 5 - wide

BBE:10
Mach3Bass : 1
3D Surround: 1
MP Enhance: On
Stereo Enhance: 2

I needed more forward vocals and mids, this is what I've settled on....
Mainly on volume 20-22, but I never go higher....

I am speechless.  Do I even have to say why?  Did you make those settings yourself?  If S9 is similar enough in terms of sound, this is ridiculous - not coincidence (I mean maybe partially, but yeah...).  Have you seen my settings?!..  Only differences really are that I prefer more bass and you take to the likeability of BBE enhancements more.

My volume range is 22-26 mostly on my ATH-M50's and 19-22 on my Brainwavz M2's.  20-22 on is still perfect and quite audible on the M50's, as for any pair really, only starting below 20 does the sound get worsened.  I just prefer it a bit louder since I listen to a lot of Rock and like hearing all the "background" subtleties more distinctly (Especially for bands like Queen and Muse).  Just in general Rock is meant to be listened to louder so I guess I feel that too. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #100 of 221

Quote:
I am speechless.  Do I even have to say why?  Did you make those settings yourself?  If S9 is similar enough in terms of sound, this is ridiculous - not coincidence (I mean maybe partially, but yeah...).  Have you seen my settings?!..  Only differences really are that I prefer more bass and you take to the likeability of BBE enhancements more.

My volume range is 22-26 mostly on my ATH-M50's and 19-22 on my Brainwavz M2's.  20-22 on is still perfect and quite audible on the M50's, as for any pair really, only starting below 20 does the sound get worsened.  I just prefer it a bit louder since I listen to a lot of Rock and like hearing all the "background" subtleties more distinctly (Especially for bands like Queen and Muse).  Just in general Rock is meant to be listened to louder so I guess I feel that too. 

Haha! I just saw your settings!
beerchug.gif

As I know the S9 and the J3 are nearly identical in SQ...
This is surely interesting!
Well, I'm using this EQ for about 10 months or so - yes, its made by myself -, sometimes trying out some new settings from iaudiophile, but I keep going back to this...

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #101 of 221
just to say this, with sennheiser hd 380 pro, i needed about to 28-30-32 as volume, so they are hard to drive... very hard....
with sennheiser ie8 i do think that i am using them in 15-20-25, depends of envoirment, as they are vented, so they do not isolate so well...

about those setting, i think that everything boosted is better... but man, without the 100hz region, if your are sennheiser user.... dude, this thing was true for all of my iems, yamaha, pioneer, and ie8 from sennheiser.... so.... i do know what to say.....

anyway, the boost on that two things, is not really good, if you do not boost all the spectrum... if all the spectrum is boosted, you can pick up some new details...

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #103 of 221
After using these settings, i have never felt the need to tweak or change the bbe or eq settings.To me, these are perfect sound for portable use.  I have tried these settings mainly with ED8 and Westone 3 and could not be happier : ) hope it helps you

80Hz ->        6 ( wide )
220Hz ->      -1 ( normal ) 
1.4kHz ->      5 ( narrow )
3.0kHz ->      8 ( normal )
11.7kHz ->     9 ( wide )

BBE -               10
Mach3Bass -     6 or 7
3D Surround -    3
MP Enhance -   On

Stereo Enhance - 3
Reverb -            Off

Hope this helps!

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #104 of 221

Quote:
Audio Technica ATH-M50

The purposes of these headphones I'm sure are well known, so they tend to stylize every genre of music very similarly; EQ can only do so much with these...  Regardless though, harshness in certain frequencies and clarity are factors that still make a difference and that's what I feel was affected.  I also tried to push bass to a natural state without it getting aggressively fake.  Not purposely, in accordance with the flat EQ that's suggested about the headphones, the EQ it ended up similarly so as I was slowly making my adjustments (the lesser the gaps, I feel that suggests good things).

EQ-
80 Hz Normal: +7 dB (If your phones are new/not burned in, you can increase it to +8 dB if you'd like)  
220 Hz Wide: +5 dB 
1.4 kHz Wide: +6 dB 
3.0 kHz Wide: +6 dB (You can try +5 dB if you'd like; for some things, 6 may be a little much) 
11.7 kHz Wide: +5 dB  

BBE+-
BBE: 4  
Mach3Bass: 8 
3D Surround: 1 (Your choice to keep it off or at 1 really...)  
MP Enhance: On (I think this is more so important with these headphones)  

SE-  
Stereo Enhance: 3 (Your choice to keep it 1 through 4)  

*Of course everything can be changed to your preference.  I was mentioning subtle differences that wouldn't change the essence of my settings.

i now use this setting for all my music. the one change i implemented is that i changed the "220Hz Wide +5db" to 385Hz Normal -1db. I find that this increases bass impact without overpowering the music and generally sounds better. EQ is personal opinion and this is mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back