Cowon J3 - Personal User EQ Settings
Apr 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #61 of 221
My Cowon sound with Portapros is EQ flat, BBE 10, Mach3Bass 3.
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #63 of 221
Brainwavz M2/ViSang R03

I've been using these settings for months and months now and I've slightly modified them since then.  I am 100% sure now of their finality, but of course I guess I should say they are adjusted to my tastes, like anyone else's settings would be.  That is to say, I don't think I can make the claim that the "Neutral" settings are entirely flat...  

I listen to all types of music (certainly sound-wise), so these should work as a good balance between pretty much everything.  Admittedly though, a little over half my music is Rock and Metal and that's what I mainly tested and modified them with, but as I said, it works well with everything else.  I wouldn't have been happy with them otherwise.  In the end, THOSE ARE the genres with the most sonic range (cover all the frequency range) so it would make sense to use that kind of music for general EQing. 

"Casual Listening" Settings- (could grow more tiresome/fatiguing over time than the "neutral" settings)

EQ-
80 Hz Normal: +5 dB (If your phones are new/not burned in, you can increase it to +6 dB if you'd like)
300 Hz Wide: +3 dB (I've proved to myself many times that any higher on this setting only creates problems)
1.4 kHz Wide: +4 dB (You can try +5 dB if it's to your preference)
3.0 kHz Wide: +5 dB
11.7 kHz Wide: +9 dB

BBE+-
BBE: 6
Mach3Bass: 4 (If your phones are new/not burned in, you can increase it to 5, similarly like with the 80 Hz setting)  
3D Surround: Off 
MP Enhance: On (Your choice to keep it on or off.  I like the occasional improvements it makes & it never ruins the sound really...)

SE-  
Stereo Enhance: Off (I don't think it's meant for headphones. Like crossfeed on amps, it really just shrinks the soundstage width.)
Reverb: Off  

*Of course anything can be changed to your preference.  What was mentioned were subtle differences which wouldn't end up changing the essence of my settings.

"Neutral"/Balanced Settings- (for those who generally prefer accuracy, but, still with punchiness in the innately dull sound)

EQ-
80 Hz Normal: +3 dB (make sure you have the tips of the IEMs properly positioned into your ears, down and inwards)
300 Hz Wide: +3 dB (I've proved to myself many times that any higher on this setting only creates problems)
1.4 kHz Wide: +5 dB (Wish there was +4.5: it must be more than 1 dBFS increments; each step really makes noticeable changes)
3.0 kHz Wide: +5 dB
11.7 kHz Wide: +8 dB

BBE+-
BBE: 7 
Mach3Bass: 3 
MP Enhance: On (Your choice to keep it on or off. I like the occasional improvements it makes & it never ruins the sound really...)

SE-
Stereo Enhance: Off (I don't think it's meant for headphones. Like crossfeed on amps, it really just shrinks the soundstage width.)

*Regardless of the settings, some inherent characteristics of the headphones of course remain (which paired with this is only a good thing IMO). 

-These settings might work with the Klipsch S4's as well but I'm not sure.  I've heard just that the sound signature of these two are similar in many aspects, where the Brainwavz M2's just handle certain frequencies better and/or more accurately.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #65 of 221
I also had this problem with my JH16s, as we know the prominence of its low-end, so I turned the BBE Settings to Low and MachBass to 0, then EQ same as my SM3s.

This setting is the same as the Maestro EQ which is tuned for my dynamic IEMs.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #67 of 221
ok, wazup dudes, does anyone need my configuration for perfect clear, full bass, full detail for any type of music on sennheiser headphones?.... i am having only sennheiser ie8 and sennheiser hd 380. but if anyone need me secret, just pm... i may miss some posts on here....

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #69 of 221
i hate having to do this....
105hz -4db Wide
500hz 0db wide
1.1 khz +2db wide
4.1 khz +4db wide
13 khz +2db wide

bbe 10
mach3bass 10
3d surround off 
mp enache on

stereo enache 6
reverb off

now, i am a metal-goth-dubstep-pop-heavymetal-rock-numetal-rap-house-dirtyhouse-and the list go on listener....

ATTENTION: this thing does not scale well with mp3's... you have to listen to this combination with flacs to get the best....
if you have flacs, you will be happy for a lot of time... if you listen to rock, even better. if not, this is good too....

May 11, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #70 of 221
gonna try out the settings u guys provided here!

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #72 of 221
yea the j3 really is pretty awesome EQ'd.  the fact that you can just take the j3 out with IEMs or headphones and get pretty good sound, is amazing for its size and usability.  the size of portable rigs are getting out of hand!

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #73 of 221
did you try customizing a setting?

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #75 of 221
Audio Technica ATH-M50
 ​
The purposes of these headphones I'm sure are well known, so they tend to "stylize" every genre of music very similarly; EQ can only do so much with these...  Regardless though, harshness in certain frequencies and forwardsness of certain sounds over others are certainly factors that can still be affected.  I tried pushing bass to make it sound more "natural" while keeping it from being too aggressive/fake sounding.  This actually has more to do with the Cowon, although it's a combination of both I think.  Not done purposely or in accordance with the "flat EQ" that is suggested about the headphones, it did somehow slowly build to take such a shape as I was slowly making the adjustments (I guess that's a good thing). 

EQ-
80 Hz Normal: +7 dB (If your phones are new/not burned in, you can increase it to +8 dB if you'd like - depends really...)  
220 Hz Wide: +5 dB 
1.4 kHz Wide: +6 dB 
3.0 kHz Wide: +5 dB (You can try +6 dB if you'd like but for some things it may get a little harsh) 
11.7 kHz Wide: +5 dB  

BBE+-
BBE: 4  
Mach3Bass: 8 
MP Enhance: On (I feel that it should be left on with these)  

SE-  

*Of course anything can be changed to your preference.  What was mentioned were subtle differences which wouldn't end up changing the essence of my settings.

Quote:
every setting i use either has harsh trebles (the snares just overpower the music) with volumes above 25 or recessed bass. i cant find the perfect compromise. i am using the ath m50. any suggestions? i listen to hip hop mostly, with some jazz/afrobeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back