Cowon J3 - Personal User EQ Settings
Jan 7, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #16 of 221
Cool.  Your settings even though meant for Shure SE530 sound better with my SM3's than other settings i've tried from fellow S9/J3 + SM3 owners, which is why i'll be saving them.  fallingreason's settings just suite my SM3's better.  This is a great thread, especially for me who is clueless when it comes to EQ, i'd be pulling my hair out trying to EQ by myself.
Thanks fallingreason for saving me the frustration!

Quote:
No way I felt offended!

I would just remember that this setting is to use with my Shure SE530. And, going further, this configuration was initially designed for my ER4P.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy this awesome player!

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
What would I do without this forum!  Of course your are right fallingreason.  I tried your eq settings below with all enhancements turned off and was rewarded with a clean natural sound with just enough treble to brighten up my dark SM3's.  All my music is FLAC ripped with EAC from the original CD's. 
No offense to cardozo's settings but they sound boomy and un-natural in camparison, they are fun to listen to with some music so I will save them.  I love the way you can toggle between user eq settings while playing music, it makes it easy to compare and narrow down what sounds the best.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #18 of 221
You're welcome!

If I'm ever in the mood for a really fun bassy sound, I just switch to the BBE Mach3Bass pre-configured EQ which I find to be very well done.

Quote:
Cool.  Your settings even though meant for Shure SE530 sound better with my SM3's than other settings i've tried from fellow S9/J3 + SM3 owners, which is why i'll be saving them.  fallingreason's settings just suite my SM3's better.  This is a great thread, especially for me who is clueless when it comes to EQ, i'd be pulling my hair out trying to EQ by myself.
Thanks fallingreason for saving me the frustration!

Quote:
No way I felt offended!

I would just remember that this setting is to use with my Shure SE530. And, going further, this configuration was initially designed for my ER4P.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy this awesome player!

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
What would I do without this forum!  Of course your are right fallingreason.  I tried your eq settings below with all enhancements turned off and was rewarded with a clean natural sound with just enough treble to brighten up my dark SM3's.  All my music is FLAC ripped with EAC from the original CD's. 
No offense to cardozo's settings but they sound boomy and un-natural in camparison, they are fun to listen to with some music so I will save them.  I love the way you can toggle between user eq settings while playing music, it makes it easy to compare and narrow down what sounds the best.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #19 of 221
Just a heads up , the narrow/normal/wide setting is whether you feel like your up/down of the specific frequency stays in that frequency mostly(narrow) or falls into the neigbouring ones (normal/wide)

This eq is easier than you think - just try and locate in your ears/minds which area needs more/less Db and work by trial and error.

it is best if you keep tweaking as little as possible the secondary settings and just work on the eq freqs mostly

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #21 of 221
Reading that the TF-1O have great highs/lows and recessed mids i think you should fiddle with the middle freq and see how much you need to boost this up

A TF-10 owner though should be able to tell you more i guess...

Quote:
I received my Tf10 this week.

What would be the best EQ setting for them?
I mostly listen to hip hop, rap and a bit of rock.

thanks

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #22 of 221
The J3 is a treasure chest of options, thats for sure.  Of the preconfigs, I tend to gravitate towards Viva and Headphone 2, but nothing really beats your own custom setting tweaked to within an inch of its life. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #23 of 221
When I had TF10's I found myself EQ'ing up the bass freq's.  You will definitely want a Jet Effects profile with the mids EQ'd up for rap with these IEMs.  I find that I need to EQ up the bass in all BA IEMs for the genre's you listed with the exception of the Westone3.  

Quote:

thanks

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #25 of 221

Quote:
When I had TF10's I found myself EQ'ing up the bass freq's.  You will definitely want a Jet Effects profile with the mids EQ'd up for rap with these IEMs.  I find that I need to EQ up the bass in all BA IEMs for the genre's you listed with the exception of the Westone3.  

Quote:

thanks

Could you tell me the specific values for the frequency and stuff?
I am still pretty new at this.
thanks

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #26 of 221

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

thanks

Could you tell me the specific values for the frequency and stuff?
I am still pretty new at this.
thanks

I too could use some schooling on how to adjust the 5 band freq. in the J3.  For example i'm using fallingreason's eq settings with all enhancements turned off:
80 - Wide - 0
500 - Wide - 0
1.1k - Narrow - 1
4.1k - Wide - 2
13k - Normal - 2 

If I wanted a little more bass which freq. do I adjust?  Also for reference, which ones for treble and mid?  Thanks!!

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #27 of 221
As you look the 5 main freq charts from left to right , the top left one being 1 and the top right one being 5 , the 5 frequencies are for the following freqs

1 : Lows
2:Mid-Lows
3:Mids
4:Mid-highs
5:Highs

Correct me if i am wrong here , i may have mixed sth up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhobbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I too could use some schooling on how to adjust the 5 band freq. in the J3.  For example i'm using fallingreason's eq settings with all enhancements turned off:

80 - Wide - 0
500 - Wide - 0
1.1k - Narrow - 1
4.1k - Wide - 2
13k - Normal - 2 

If I wanted a little more bass which freq. do I adjust?  Also for reference, which ones for treble and mid?  Thanks!!

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 221
Perfect!  I understand what increasing the level does, and you already explained wide/normal/narrow, but what about changing the actual frequency (80hz,500hz,etc.)?  Does it have the same effect as turning up the level, higher you go the more boost?  Thank you so much, so close to undertanding this!

Quote:
As you look the 5 main freq charts from left to right , the top left one being 1 and the top right one being 5 , the 5 frequencies are for the following freqs

Quote:

80 - Wide - 0
500 - Wide - 0
1.1k - Narrow - 1
4.1k - Wide - 2
13k - Normal - 2 

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #29 of 221
Every sub-frequency represents a different sound you hear , my guess is you should fifddle around  with each of the 4 sub-frequencies on the desired 5 main freq levels you feel like changing and see which one of the 4 sub-freq gives you the desired sound change

If you have understood which area of the sound you want to alter , all you gotta do is find which one sub-freq you wanna change and adjust it to your preferred sound.

Hope it helps , i tried to explain it as normal as possible
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Perfect!  I understand what increasing the level does, and you already explained wide/normal/narrow, but what about changing the actual frequency (80hz,500hz,etc.)?  Does it have the same effect as turning up the level, higher you go the more boost?  Thank you so much, so close to undertanding this!

Quote:

Quote:

80 - Wide - 0
500 - Wide - 0
1.1k - Narrow - 1
4.1k - Wide - 2
13k - Normal - 2 

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #30 of 221
Cool, thanks!

Quote:
Every sub-frequency represents a different sound you hear , my guess is you should fifddle around  with each of the 4 sub-frequencies on the desired 5 main freq levels you feel like changing and see which one of the 4 sub-freq gives you the desired sound change

If you have understood which area of the sound you want to alter , all you gotta do is find which one sub-freq you wanna change and adjust it to your preferred sound.

Hope it helps , i tried to explain it as normal as possible
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

80 - Wide - 0
500 - Wide - 0
1.1k - Narrow - 1
4.1k - Wide - 2
13k - Normal - 2 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back