Cowon J3 - Personal User EQ Settings
Jan 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #32 of 221

Quote:
Ok

new , improved ,and most important SUBTLE eq settings

This works great with my  J3/RE-262 pairing - rememeber to tweak a bit to find your preferred flavour , i have all 4 user eqs orbiting around the following base settings - give or take 1

BBE : 8
MP Enhance : ON
SE : 3-4

LOWS : 0/-1
MID-LOWS : 0/-1
MIDS : +2,3
MID-HIGHS :+2,3
HIGHS:+2,3

great sound at last - i am finally sold on my 262 - step away 252
jecklinsmile.gif

That setting works very well with the UM3X ... thx

Here's one of mine:

80:  2 wide
500: -1 wide
780: 2 wide
4.1; 2 wide
6.9: 2 wide

BBE 6
MB3 4
3D 2
MP on

SE 3
Rev Off 

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #33 of 221

Yes, thanks for these settings.  I used them as a baseline for the J3+SM3 (FLAC files) as well, but I've tweaked it a bit:

80 - Wide - +2
500 - Wide - +1
1.1k - Narrow - +2
4.1k - Wide - +3
13k - Normal - +4

BBE - 5
Mach3 - 5
MPE - OFF 
SE - OFF 

Essentially, I bumped up each EQ setting by one, turned down the Mach3 bass since I'm using an Arrow, with the bass boost set to I, and turned off the MPE, since the files are FLAC.  Results are a less dark SM3, without a fat midrange hump.  Now I just need to fiddle with EQ settings for the Beyer T50p (which will require taming the mid-mids a bit while boosting the mid-bass) and the ESW9 (with an aim of greater clarity and focus, if possible).  If anyone has a setting for either of these that I can riff off of, please post them! Thanks.

Quote:
What would I do without this forum!  Of course your are right fallingreason.  I tried your eq settings below with all enhancements turned off and was rewarded with a clean natural sound with just enough treble to brighten up my dark SM3's.  All my music is FLAC ripped with EAC from the original CD's. 
No offense to cardozo's settings but they sound boomy and un-natural in camparison, they are fun to listen to with some music so I will save them.  I love the way you can toggle between user eq settings while playing music, it makes it easy to compare and narrow down what sounds the best.

Quote:
Not to criticize your settings, but I find that my FLAC files sound better with much more minimal settings, particularly the enhancements like BBE and MPE.  They seem to ruin the faithfulness that FLAC files contain.  I'm surprised that with IEM's as neutral and competent as the SM3 you would enhance your FLAC file playback.  

I find those settings to make MP3's come alive wonderfully though.  However, there is a big difference between listening to a flac file and an enriched MP3.

Lately I've been using the following with my IE7's:

80 - Wide - 0
500 - Wide - 0
1.1k - Narrow - 1
4.1k - Wide - 2
13k - Normal - 2

BBE - 4
Mach3 - 10
MPE - ON

SE - OFF

I have a duplicate profile with MPE off and BBE off for FLAC files.

I find the balance to be great with my IE7 when listening to most types of music.  I'm fairy certain (by memory) that I prefer the sound of the J3 to the Sony X1000.  All around feature wise, the X can't hold a candle to the J3.

Quote:
Don't have any Black Sabbath but my Beatles FLACS have never sounded better!

Quote:
Im glad to read this!

And do yourself a favor: If possible, listen to the first two works of Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath and Paranoid) in Flac files, with your SM3 and these settings. Its a real eargasm!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
These settings sound perfect with my SM3's!  Thanks cardozo!!

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #34 of 221
J3 + q-Jays for Trance

80 - Wide - +3
220 - Wide - 0
780 - Wide - 0
3.0k - Wide - 0
13k - Wide - 1

BBE - 1
Mach3Bass - 8
MPE - On
SE - 6 

J3 + v-Jays for Trance

80 - Wide - +2
220 - Wide - 0
780 - Wide - 0
3.0k - Wide - +1
13k - Wide - +2

BBE - 2
Mach3Bass - 1
MPE - On
SE - 5

Really enjoying both the Jays with these settings. ^_^ 

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #38 of 221
Dear Golden Monkey,

Do not worry about what the function seems to say or what the manual states: Trust only your ears.

The "MP Enhance" is an excellent ally to increase the clarity, imaging and soundstage of the music, even using Flac files.

I'll take and put the EQ I'm using right now for my Ety ER4S, without amplification:

175 - Wide - 3;
385 - Wide - 1;
1.1 - Wide - 0;
3 - Wide - 0;
13 - Wide - 1;

BBE 7;
Mbass Off;
3D Surround Off;
MP On;
SE 4;
Rev off.

Try and let me know...

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
...and turned off the MPE, since the files are FLAC. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #39 of 221

Man these settings sound great G.M.!  I turned Mach3 down to 3 (5 was too much bass for my ears) and turned on MPE (improved soundstage & imaging like cardozo said!).  My new fav. settings! 

Quote:
Yes, thanks for these settings.  I used them as a baseline for the J3+SM3 (FLAC files) as well, but I've tweaked it a bit:

80 - Wide - +2
500 - Wide - +1
1.1k - Narrow - +2
4.1k - Wide - +3
13k - Normal - +4

BBE - 5
Mach3 - 5
MPE - OFF 
SE - OFF 

Essentially, I bumped up each EQ setting by one, turned down the Mach3 bass since I'm using an Arrow, with the bass boost set to I, and turned off the MPE, since the files are FLAC.  Results are a less dark SM3, without a fat midrange hump.  Now I just need to fiddle with EQ settings for the Beyer T50p (which will require taming the mid-mids a bit while boosting the mid-bass) and the ESW9 (with an aim of greater clarity and focus, if possible).  If anyone has a setting for either of these that I can riff off of, please post them! Thanks.

Quote:
What would I do without this forum!  Of course your are right fallingreason.  I tried your eq settings below with all enhancements turned off and was rewarded with a clean natural sound with just enough treble to brighten up my dark SM3's.  All my music is FLAC ripped with EAC from the original CD's. 
No offense to cardozo's settings but they sound boomy and un-natural in camparison, they are fun to listen to with some music so I will save them.  I love the way you can toggle between user eq settings while playing music, it makes it easy to compare and narrow down what sounds the best.

Quote:
Not to criticize your settings, but I find that my FLAC files sound better with much more minimal settings, particularly the enhancements like BBE and MPE.  They seem to ruin the faithfulness that FLAC files contain.  I'm surprised that with IEM's as neutral and competent as the SM3 you would enhance your FLAC file playback.  

I find those settings to make MP3's come alive wonderfully though.  However, there is a big difference between listening to a flac file and an enriched MP3.

Lately I've been using the following with my IE7's:

80 - Wide - 0
500 - Wide - 0
1.1k - Narrow - 1
4.1k - Wide - 2
13k - Normal - 2

BBE - 4
Mach3 - 10
MPE - ON

SE - OFF

I have a duplicate profile with MPE off and BBE off for FLAC files.

I find the balance to be great with my IE7 when listening to most types of music.  I'm fairy certain (by memory) that I prefer the sound of the J3 to the Sony X1000.  All around feature wise, the X can't hold a candle to the J3.

Quote:
Don't have any Black Sabbath but my Beatles FLACS have never sounded better!

Quote:
Im glad to read this!

And do yourself a favor: If possible, listen to the first two works of Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath and Paranoid) in Flac files, with your SM3 and these settings. Its a real eargasm!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
These settings sound perfect with my SM3's!  Thanks cardozo!!

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #40 of 221
Thanks Cardozo, I'll play around with those settings for my Etys and see if I can breathe some new life into them.

Sdhobbs, glad you like those settings, it's a work in progress, lol.  What tips are you using on the SM3's, by the way?

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #41 of 221
Quote:
how??   thanks

Quote:
It sounds really hollow, try to be more subtle.

Well, you've got all the effects cranked up to max and that's going to create a lot of chaos, lol.  Also, your frequencies are really spiky.  If you want a more balanced sound with a solid bottom end, try something like this:

80 - Wide - +3
385 - Wide - +2
1.1k - Normal - +2
4.1k - Wide - +3
13k - Normal - +4 
BBE 6
M3bass 6
3dsurround OFF (but if you really like it, start low and add a click at a time, but avoid too much)
MP on (especially if your files are MP3)
SE OFF (just a personal taste)
REV OFF

With your settings of full blast 3D and SE, you're listening to a very "unfocused" image...you're surrounded by displaced instruments...turning all that off/down should bring the soundstage to the front.

That should also give you a smoother curve, with a cleaner and lower hitting bass.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #42 of 221
I'm using the stock bi-flange silicone tips.

Quote:
Thanks Cardozo, I'll play around with those settings for my Etys and see if I can breathe some new life into them.

Sdhobbs, glad you like those settings, it's a work in progress, lol.  What tips are you using on the SM3's, by the way?

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #43 of 221
Those are probably my second faves overall.  First being the MEElec tri-flanges for their M6's (I think).  They have a larger diameter tube, so you need adaptors (I use the little red ones that come with the Monster Super Tips sampler), giving them excellent bass response (it's like a little room for the bass to expand prior to hitting your ear canal).  They are a nice soft silicone, so they're very secure and comfortable and easy to wear for long periods of time.  Only downside is they're not the most isolating of all the ones I've tried, but they SOUND the best.  Next closest are the stock bi-flange, and I also like the Monster Super Tips silicone olives...those sound great, isolate fantastically well, but they don't seat too well (they are fine if you're staying in one place, but they'll tend to work loose if you're moving about).  The Comply foams (the other tip that comes with the SM3) are nice and comfy, isolate well, and sound decent, but they muddy/darken the sound a tad much for my taste.  Anyway...my point is they all require different EQing, but for the stock bi's, the settings I listed should be close to awesome...they were based on the MEE'S though.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #44 of 221
RE-262

Those characteristics not mentioned ( Reverb , bass etc)  are kept to 0/OFF

EQ FREQS (USER 1/2/3/4)

LOWS :        0,0,-1,0    ____   80/80/80/105     _____ WI/NA/NO/NO
MID-LOWS : 0,0, -1 ,0  ____  300/300/300/385 _____ NO/WI/NO/NO
MIDS :          2,3,2,2     _____ 1.1/780/1.1/780 _____  WI/NO/NO/NO
MID-HIGHS : 3,4,4,4    ______    3/3/4.1/4.1 ______    NO/WI/WI/NO
HIGHS :        4,4,4,3 _______ 13/11.7/11.7/11.7 _____ NO/NO/WI/WI

Feel free to tweak them , these were chosen ear/arbitrarily so you surely can fix them to a better self-hearing level

BBE : 8
MP Enhance : On
SE : 4/4/3/3

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #45 of 221
For use with the Pana HJE900's (with triple flange tips which eliminate sibilance completely) and while listening to metal or rock for a really in your face wall of guitar sound:

105 Hz - Wide - 5
385Hz - Wide - 2
1.1 kHz - Wide - 6
1.8kHZ - Wide - 2
11.7 kHz - Wide - 1 

BBE - 8
Mach Bass - off
3D surround - 1
Mp Enhance - off
Stereo Enhance - 3
Reverb - off

Enjoy!