Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Feb 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #46 of 479

Quote:
Don't expect to hear from many owners until the price comes down and the software gets better.  That includes adding an app store, either by Cowon or the hacking community.

Yeah I don't get their thinking on this ... big mistake on the part of Cowon.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #47 of 479
Cowon made another update available today.  This is the North American, EU, and "other" versions x.29. 

Music Player
Stabilized Audio playback.
Support album art of FLAC files.
Added menu to enter the Matrix Browser.

Home

Added Home setting function : Number of screens, Default screen.
Home > Menu Button > Home Settings to select Home setting function.

Video Player

Stabilized streaming compatibility with external applications.
Fixed the error of deleting bookmarks.
Media Scanner

Added function of Media database update.
Settings > Privacy > Media Database Update.
Wi-Fi

Improved speed of access wireless AP.
Fixed the error of battery consumption was occurred occasionally in Sleep mode.
Fixed the error of Wi-Fi access fail when started COWON D3 from Sleep mode.

Bluetooth

Fixed the file transfer error with large files by OPP.
MicroSD

Fixed the error of formatting 32GB MicroSD Card.

Email

Improved user friendly setting of POP, IMAP, Exchange Server.

Etc

Improved stability.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #48 of 479
Big improvement or little one.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #49 of 479
My D3 with 3.29 has been playing through my music assortment for a couple of hours this morning.  So far there has only been one or two random audio blips.  Nothing repeatable, and easily far less frequently than with x.27.

Videos still play beautifully, but then they always did.   My HDMI cable should show up soon, so I'll run that through a few tests in the next day or two.  

The D3 still takes a long time to boot up, and with every boot up it takes another minute or so to update the database for both the onboard and microSD storage.  I've gotten in the habit of NOT turning it off, but rather (after closing all apps)  just double-pressing the power button to lock and turn off the screen. The D3 then wakes up in a second and won't nag for database checking.

3.29 benefits from no Korean apps (in 1.29), one of which was often self-starting and a resource consumer.  It will still gets very hot when taxed with a graphics-heavy game.  For just music play it only needs gapless playback and then they (Cowon) could consider themselves done with it.

Quote:
Big improvement or little one.

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #50 of 479

Quote:
My D3 with 3.29 has been playing through my music assortment for a couple of hours this morning.  So far there has only been one ot two random audio blips.  Nothing repeatable, and easily far less frequently than with x.27.

Video still play beautifully, but then it always did.   My HDMI cable should show up soon, so I'll run that through a few tests in the next day or two.  

The D3 still takes a long time to boot up, and with every boot up it takes another minute or so to update database for both the onboard and microSD storage.  I've gotten in the habit of NOT turning it off, but rather (after closing all apps)  just double-pressing the power button to lock and turn off the screen. The D3 then wakes up in a second, and won't nag for database checking.

3.29 benefits from no Korean apps (in 1.29), one of which was often self-starting and a resource consumer.  It will still get very hot when taxed with a graphic-heavy game.  For just music play it only need gapless and then they (Cowon) could consider themselves done with it.

Hi and thanks for the info on the update. I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on the purchase. Hold out for another price drop or two.

By the way with regards to the updates ... when I purchase the D3 can I go directly to the latest update and that will take care of everything? Meaning I don't have to do previous updates to get all the fixes, they just add the previous to the latest. Kind of a noobie question in hindsight,, but just want to make sure.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #52 of 479
How well is Angry Birds playing after the update?

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #53 of 479
@DreamThinker: It may not have started out as their strategy, but was quickly ordered up when the initial firmware met critical reviewers. Better than leaving the D3 out there to flounder for a month or more before a "desperate" rescue attempt could be made.  Personally, I'm enjoying the updates.  They've even improved the features set as they've gone along. It started with 5 home screens, but now you can set the number up to 9, and choose which of them you want it to go to when you press the Home button. They also added a two-finger spread to the video now-playing screen that lets you stretch video (to fit the screen) as it is playing.

@Macrocheesium: Angry Birds plays the same.  Still empty white boxes in place of text that should be appearing. The D3 also gets hot fast when it plays.

4D 

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #54 of 479
That is true though, safe it now or never.
But they missed the first hype period...., right after it was announced. 

can it play 1050p fluently now?
What about the apps?
Can u compare the sq to ipod/other cowons?
How fast is the Browser (compare Safari)

Thanks

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #55 of 479
1080p yes.  I only have a couple of samples at that resolution though.
No app store, but if you can find them on the web it is easy enough to side load them to the D3 when hooked up to a PC.
SQ?  No easily.  Without a way to swtch quickly beteen the device playing the same song at the same time, my ears have to rely on impressions remembered from the last time I listened to a device. In general my J3 and D3 are better to my ears than my 4th gebTouch. Between the Cowons is a wash.  If I'm not looking, it is easy to forget which I'm listening to. The J3 gets a slide nod for gapless play of concert albums though.
Fast?  Again it is hard to compare them side-by side, as they would both be using the same WiFi access, and any difference may be thanks to my router and not the browsers themselves. Safari on the Touch shows less info on a screen thanks to the persistant bottom control bar left on the screen. Pages appear to load at about the same speed. Dynamic scroll on the D3 is different than on the Touch, with Safari only moving the page as your finger moves, and breaking the scroll quicker when you've swiped. On long web pages, like that on my blog, this is a pain.  It takes several swipes (13) to get down to the comments on my D3 review with Safari and only a couple of swipes (2) with the D3.  

4D

Quote:
TheDreamthinker said:
can it play 1080p fluently now?
What about the apps?
Can u compare the sq to ipod/other cowons?
How fast is the Browser (compare Safari)
Thanks

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #56 of 479
Does Head-Fi work? With my phone it always breakdown. Many windows at the same time?
General Multitasking?
Where do u get the apps from, torrent?
How touch sensitive is the screen?

Always compare to the touch.

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #57 of 479
@ Dreamthinker:  Headfi.org loads up completely without crashing on my D3.  Both the home page and this forum.
Generally it multitasks as well as any other android device I have.  Music will keep playing while I check my email, etc..   I did notice some momentary pauses when playing over bluetooth and using WiFi for web browsing or email together. I'll guess both radios use the same chip.
Apps I've put on mind were either found with simple Google searches or I had on my PC from backups of my Hero Phone.
How sensitive?  Both it and the Touch are capacitive, and seem to react the same to my touch.  The D3 is a fraction slower to respond though. It's not the sensing that differs, it is the software deciding what to do with the touch that differs.
If you meant the other kind of sensitive, then the D3 doesn't appear sensitive at all.   I've cursed at mine several times, and it doesn't appear to have had its feeling hurt.   :wink:

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #58 of 479
Well I took the plunge and purchased the D3. I know I have read all the negative reviews, but I hold out hope with the firmware upgrades. Also bought it in the states paying at the Japanese yen exchange rate, which makes it a good deal even with shipping.

Stay tuned

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #60 of 479

Users who are viewing this thread

Back