Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Feb 3, 2011 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 479

4DThinker

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my D3 since 1/31 and have been pushing it hard to write a review.  Finally posted it today.  I couldn't find a user manual so I spent time detailing the media apps as I worked through them.

LINK

Have a look.  Feel free to comment there or here.  Cowon has pushed out three updates since I got it, and it has gotten better with each one.  My review may be updated when/if they resolve some of my major complaints.   Until then let me know if you need any info I didn't include.

4D

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 479
Great review, as always.
Just a few questions.
Have you tested the battery life yourself or is the indicated 21 hours just from the specs?
Also, does the unit feel very solid or more loose? I find the J3 very solid compared to the S9.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 479
I've run the battery up and down a few times, and although 21 hours is the offical Cowon spec, I think they are close to what you'll actually get.   Music play, with the screen shutting down relatively soon after beginning, doesn't seem to budge the battery meter. My D3 lasted a whole day (8 hours) of music testing and lost roughly 30% off a full charge.  A two hour movie with the screen on all the time would burn 20% or so.

As for build, the D3 is on par with the J3. Obviously bigger. That added some room for articulation of the form and they've done that.  The control surfaces with buttons and slots around the sides and bottom stands out a little to set it off, and has a different finish than the back. It feels nice in my hand, and shows no assembly flaws I can detect. 

4D

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 479
Sound quality I usually leave out of a review since it so subjective. Imagine a Cowon J3 with no gapless playback and a nagging audio cut-out near the beginning  of almost every new song in a series you are listening to. All the BBE presets and user EQ settings are available.  I like the SQ as much as I enjoy my J3, but the D3 at this point nags me with that cut-out flaw. 

Should they get that fixed, add gapless playback and playlist (both on-board creation and support for added playlists)  playback, then figure out what causes it to freeze up periodically they might have a winner.  Of course we'll need a market app too.  

AC3 sound yes.

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 479
When the price comes down, they get the firmware situated, how do you think this compares to the Cowon X7 and Archos products.

I am looking for a PMP mainly for music and the ability to play FLAC files to go along with my custom JH13s and Rooth 8 driver ... so quality audio is important, but also want to watch vids on my commute to and from work.

Is this or will this be the best PMP out there at some point or what does everyone recommend?

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 479
Quote:
Sound quallity I usually leave out af a review since it so subjective. Imagine a Cowon J3 with no gapless playback and a nagging audio cut-out near the beginning  of almost every new song in a series you are listening to. All the BBE presets and user EQ settings are available.  I like the SQ as much as I enjoy my J3, but the D3 at this point nags me with that cut-out flaw. 

Should they get that fixed, add gapless playback and playlist (both on-board creation and support for added playlists)  playback, then figure out what causes it to freeze up periodically they might have a winner.  Of course we'll need a market app too.  

AC3 sound yes.

So, the SQ is no better, and actually a little worse than the J3 due to the cutout and lack of gapless playback?  That coupled with the fact that it is larger (the thing I like most about the J3 is the size) makes it much less desireable.  Add to that the high price, and I would say that I will stick with my J3.

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 479

Quote:
When the price comes down, they get the firmware situated, how do you think this compares to the Cowon X7 and Archos products.

I am looking for a PMP mainly for music and the ability to play FLAC files to go along with my custom JH13s and Rooth 8 driver ... so quality audio is important, but also want to watch vids on my commute to and from work.

Is this or will this be the best PMP out there at some point or what does everyone recommend?

Thanks!

I don't own an X7, but do own the the Archos 32, 43, and 70 gen8 android players. I've got the Cowon J3 and D3 now, and Recommend the J3 for FLAC playback at the moment.  The Archos 43 would be the best portable for video playing, plays FLACs too, but wins for its 4.3" screen.   The D3 has potential, but doesn't do gapless yet, and  audio cuts out for a moment near the beginning of new songs being played.

4D

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 479
4D thanks for the comments. How is the sound on the Archos 43 compared with Cowon. My main purpose is for music, but on a side note also want vids.

Right now I own the Archos 5 (not tablet) and have been okay with the player, but the sound on it is mediocre at best and I get occasional crashes when watching vids if they are not converted correctly, which is extremely annoying.

The only drawback with the 43 is size ... if I load up FLAC files and a couple of vids ... it is severely limited. And for that matter, the D3 has also the same issue.

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 479
i enjoyed reading your reviews about other media player like the Samsung M1 and the Cowon J3! I enjoy reading your reviews so i go straight to your link! Thanks again
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 479

I enjoy writing the reviews and appreciate the comments.  When I started collecting music and was looking for players it was hard to find reviews that were personal and deep.  Most even today are nothing more than repeated press releases.  There ought to be a law against calling a news release a review. JMHO.

4D

Quote:
i enjoyed reading your reviews about other media player like the Samsung M1 and the Cowon J3! I enjoy reading your reviews so i go straight to your link! Thanks again
cool.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 479
4d, what are your thoughts on the D3 compared to the X7. I just checked out the X7 and J3 at Yodobashi camera in Tokyo. The sound quality is great with both when using the custom 8 driver IEMs I have. I like the fact that the X7 screen is bigger as is the capacity because I will be using FLAC files and watching vids, my main two purposes. The only bummer is the XJ3 screen is way too small, the X7 is just right but the resolution is so-so compared to the Archos 5 I am using. (That has a host of other issues, but the only good thing is the screen resolution).

How is the D3 resolution? I still need to check out the D3 and compare it to the X7 but have to find a place in Tokyo that has one on display.

What do you think X7 or D3?

Thanks in advance.

Also anyone else feel free to weigh in.

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 479
I've never played with an X7, Skoog5600.

I've updated mine to firmware 3.27, available at Cowonglobal.com now.

The D3 has a Capacitive AMOLED 3.7" screen with 800 x 480 resolution.  Beautiful for photos and movies.  More accurate color, but small text is not quite as crisp as that on a 4th gen iPod Touch screen.  Responsive to touch, but not as quick as the Touch.

Cowon seems to have eliminated the audio cut-out flaw with this latest firmware. Getting better daily!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back