Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Feb 11, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #16 of 479
I have to apologize.  Listened to my D3 most of the day yesterday.  I had long spells listening to random songs where it never skipped a beat. Enough to convince me that they had solved the music cut-out problem.   I turned it on again last night and specifically picked out my three test songs.  I've picked them because they are lossless FLAC or WMA and because they use the whole audible spectrum between them. NO cutouts when played, but two of the three had a sort of stumble near the beginning, in the same spot the cutouts would show up at.  A replay of each would fix it usually. I'll guess that it was the lossless files that overwhelmed the D3.  My J3 can't even play the WMA file I used.  Fixed for MP3.  Still work to be done on lossless files.   

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #17 of 479
Good to hear they are slowly fixing things ... I am close to pulling the trigger on the D3.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #18 of 479
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying this device, but can any Cowon D3 owner say if this device can show build in subtitles in mkv video file ( I have read that Cowon V5 has problem with this) and change their size color etc. I watch many anime series and this is a key issue for me.

Thanks

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #19 of 479
If you can point me to an example mkv with subtitles in it to try, I'll be happy to test it for you.  I personally have no need for subtitles, but notice there are subtitle options in the D3's video app. The include on/off toggle, set color, adjust size, set location, set language, and adjust subtitle timing. 

Quote:
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying this device, but can any Cowon D3 owner say if this device can show build in subtitles in mkv video file ( I have read that Cowon V5 has problem with this) and change their size color etc. I watch many anime series and this is a key issue for me.

Thanks

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #20 of 479
Any new updates on the firmware .. still holding out hope the D3 will be a winner someday?

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #21 of 479
Really like your blog awesome reviews
darthsmile.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #22 of 479
The latest firmware on mine is 3.27, and that only came out a few days ago.  It fixed the audio cutout on MP3 files, but there is still a glitch with lossless files.

On a side note, I was able to find a downloadable AngryBirds.APK and side load it onto my D3.  The game took three tries to start, with a black screen being all I got the first two times. The first time it started there was no text or icons, only white boxes where they should have been.  The second time I played the control icons appeared, but level icons and text are still missing.  It is as if there is a missing font file the game needs. Play is relatively smooth, with only a minor stutter every now and then. 

Thanks for your compliment, TheGomDoRi. Much appreciated.

4D

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #23 of 479

Quote:
If you can point me to an example mkv with subtitles in it to try, I'll be happy to test it for you.  I personally have no need for subtitles, but notice there are subtitle options in the D3's video app. The include on/off toggle, set color, adjust size, set location, set language, and adjust subtitle timing. 

Hi,
Thank you 4DThinker  for  replying  to my question

If you could in this link there are 4 samples of  mkv video files  zipped, I would be very grateful to you if you could try them.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NHMGIGIJ

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #25 of 479
Tested all the samples. All played.  The one with 2 audio channels let me pick either channel.  The subtitles never showed up on any of the files.

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,
Thank you 4DThinker  for  replying  to my question

If you could in this link there are 4 samples of  mkv video files  zipped, I would be very grateful to you if you could try them.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NHMGIGIJ

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #26 of 479
Hey 4D, awesome review. You mentioned earlier in the thread that the battery life was pretty close to the advertised. With what settings (ie. wifi off) did you have it last that long?

Currently looking to get my first real PMP and right now it's between the D3 and the J3... leaning towards this cause of the Rockbox for Android and wouldn't mind hearing if you could squeeze a bit more battery out of it if need be.

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 479
I haven't done any official battery tests with the D3.  I have only concluded from my use of it that it would last close to the estimates.  I shut WiFi off when I'm not using it.  Only use bluetooth at night in bed for 1/2 hour or so. Have watched a few movies through.  Looking at the battery percentage shown, and doing some math in my head is how I concluded Cowon's conservative estimates are close.  For example one 2 hour movie drained my battery from full to 80%. My math then deduces five 2 hours movies could be watched on one charge, each using 20% of a charge.  Of course your mileage will vary.   Don't get the D3 if you want 60 hours of music play per charge. 

Quote:
Hey 4D, awesome review. You mentioned earlier in the thread that the battery life was pretty close to the advertised. With what settings (ie. wifi off) did you have it last that long?

Currently looking to get my first real PMP and right now it's between the D3 and the J3... leaning towards this cause of the Rockbox for Android and wouldn't mind hearing if you could squeeze a bit more battery out of it if need be.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #30 of 479
Cowon released version  1.29 (Korean version) a day or two ago,  so I expect to see 2.29, 3.29, and 4.29 for the various markets available any day now.

On another front, it appears Cowon has contacted anythingbutipod.com to arrange for a download area they could place android apps for the D3 in. Nothing but a Pac-Man game so far, but it points out that they know the shortcomings of the D3 (no market app) and are looking for ways to overcome them.

4D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back