Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
May 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #467 of 479
Quote:
^ Coaxial digital output is not the same as optical digital output, although they both output digital signals.
Not sure how much better Fiio E17's DAC section is than D3's, but E17's amp section should be better.

ah ok.  will toslink spdif cable work for D3 + E17?  I'm guessing not, now...   So, D3's coaxial digital out will bypass both it's DAC and Amp?

where can I get a super short coax/toslink cable?  
is the D3 as loud as the J3?  Can you download Poweramp for the D3?  No way to get Google Market/Play whatsoever?  Can't even install apks?  I don't care about any other app aside from Poweramp...  I doubt even the updated interface on the D3 is as good as Poweramp...  does it at least have a lock screen player?  

any guidance would be appreciated :)  

hopefully I don't need something like this:   http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B000I98ZQY

EDIT:  Actually, E17 has coaxial in--perfect :D

May 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #468 of 479
hmm just got my D3 and at least in the car, the sound is not anywhere close to being as clean as the J3 was.  Could it be because I accidentally left Wifi on? 

I hope so.......

Even with headphones it's still not sounding as good..... .i'll try listening to other tracks.....    :frowning2:    Other people have said that the EQ settings for J3 will sound the exact same on the D3, while others say they sound different.  I agree it sounds different D:

Anyone have some recommended eq settings?  The one I liked the best was actually the one that was most popular on the korean website naver.com.. 

May 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #470 of 479
Quote:
Nevermind. Sounds the same. Had never heard j3 without eq in car before

interesting, I just dropped $900 into a new pc so I woun't be finding out how good or bad it is for a while but I WILL find out

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #471 of 479
Does anyone have experience using the S/PDIF for audio out?

I'm considering buying one.
In my mind, it looks usefull in a home situation like this...

* seated in a cradle of some kind
* AC power adaptor connected, so not relying on internal battery
* S/PDIF audio -> DAC
* UPnP or DLNA wireless streaming of audio files from a media server NAS etc.

Questions;
1. Can it be set to play audio (not video) out from the S/PDIF ?
2. Does the display remain on when audio is routed out of the S/PDIF ?
3. What is the maximum bit DEPTH / RATE from the S/PDIF out ?
4a. Can it talk DLNA natively (like the Sony NWZ Zxxxx), or can be made to with an App.?
4b. If no DLNA, how does it perfom at streaming audio files over WiFi from a media server ?

Any replies appreciated.
Michael.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #472 of 479
Welcome to Headfi, Nozomi.

I do not have a Cowon D3, but I have been wanting to streaming flac music from a NAS. I have a thread for this topic here (feel free to ask the question there as someone else may help):    http://www.head-fi.org/t/620238/streaming-flac-to-iphone-ipad-or-android-portables/30

MY GUESS is that D3 can output digital from the music streamed from NAS. As to your questions 1 and 2, I think the answer is yes. No clue about your other questions.

Keep in mind though, as the CPU of D3 is not very fast and its stock Android version is quite low. Samsung Galaxy S III or IOS products may work as alternatives. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #473 of 479
I have one [a Cowon D3] on the way.  Question to the owners or just in the know.  Does it recognize and decode 24-bit FLAC files, or do they have to be 16-bit?  Thanx.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #474 of 479
Cross-post from the FiiO E17 thread, as the D3 is responsible for more the positive outcome than the amp anyway...

For what it's worth...

I'm never going back to [Source -> analog headphone or line-out -> E17 line-in], since getting my Cowon D3 and its proprietary A/V cable that I bought to drive the E17.  It enables me to stream digital from most any type of files [preferably FLAC] to the E17 via a S/PDIF coax.  And better still I was so very happy to discover the digital EQ and BBE+ effects performed in the Wolfrom DAC are all in effect over the coax out [i.e. the pre 'AC' part of the monolithic Wolfrom DAC] ; based on the block diagram of the DAC chip I thought the S/PDIF out was before the effects section but that proved not the case. So I  can use the semi-parametric EQ of the D3 to do fine tuning that may be needed for the phones I'm using @ the time, but leave the overall treble/bass tonality 'finishing' of the sound to the E17.  

I use the D3/E17 combo w/my Focal Spirit One headphones the most, which I think is a very overlooked headphone but IMO is the most engaging & do-all / capable headphone that is brought alive with small tweeks of the D3's digital semi-parametric EQ, some JetAudio enhancements, and the E17's power.  Simply amazing "crisp -to- head shaking" sound from the whole package and quality music tracks like FLACS of the whole re-mastered Steely Dan collection, or of say a 2-channel PCM rip of the Cream @ the Royal Albert Hall DVD, or board recordings of concerts mastered and sold by the artists.  I don't think I've ever had the "I'm @ the concert' experience from headphones like i have now; especially given at least one set of FLACs I have is from when i was @ the concert and I can compare what I hear now to what I heard there when live.  And the E17 plays a vital role in achieving that. Anyone in the NYC area is welcome to hear what has me so over the moon @ the upcoming meet in Bablyon.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #475 of 479
Has anyone per chance tried a 64gig microSD in the D3 to confirm it is not recognized?  I know specs state only to 32 gigs, but just curious if anyone tried a 64 Gig'er and found it to work?

-thanx

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #476 of 479
I'm looking at DAP options as alternative to iPod & Logitech-Squeezebox.
Preferably with digital out (USB or S/PDIF) and/or high quality analog out.

I see the Sony NWZ-Z1050 is DLNA capable, +highqual analog, but no digital out :frowning2:

Can the D3 stream in audo data from a NAS (or windows media centre) via DLNA, or other LAN connected storage, via uPnP?
... then of couse spit it out of it's S/PDIF port :wink:

Thanks,
Michael.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #477 of 479
I need to figure out how to migrate the DLNA app that came on my Droid3 over to the D3 and I'll let ya know.  Downloaded apps are easy as I can just copy over the install image, but I don't know if I can get at the pre-installed apps images.

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #478 of 479
  I've never played with an X7, Skoog5600.

I've updated mine to firmware 3.27, available at Cowonglobal.com now.

The D3 has a Capacitive AMOLED 3.7" screen with 800 x 480 resolution.  Beautiful for photos and movies.  More accurate color, but small text is not quite as crisp as that on a 4th gen iPod Touch screen.  Responsive to touch, but not as quick as the Touch.

Cowon seems to have eliminated the audio cut-out flaw with this latest firmware. Getting better daily!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back