Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Revisted - The best soundstage ever!
Mar 25, 2008 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kydsid

500+ Head-Fier
Just picked a copy of this CD/DVD combo. Paid full retail which I hardly ever do and WOW am I glad I did.

For those that don't know this is a re-recorded session of the original Trinity session from the Church of the Trinity in Vancouver.

Anyway the DVD is awesome and you get to see the whole set without any fancy video production in the way. The coolest is that the band played in a circle facing each other. So the DVD lets you actually see the positions everyone sat at!

Then you put the CD on. OMG. Now this is only through my SR225's but when Natalie Merchant starts singing I can hear that she is in front of me slightly to the left. That is EXACTLY where she would be if you were sitting in the center of the circle.

This CD is amazing, if you are a fan go get it now. If you aren't go get it anyway!

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you put the CD on. OMG. Now this is only through my SR225's but when Natalie Merchant starts singing I can hear that she is in front of me slightly to the left. That is EXACTLY where she would be if you were sitting in the center of the circle.

It's Margo Timmins

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to get this straight, is it re-recorded or remastered ?

I love the original trinity but i thought this was just a remastered version ?

Nope, this is a new recording and I will second that it is trully amazing. This is now one of my new reference recordings especially since, as already mentioned, you know what the soundstage should be by watching the DVD. Highly recommended.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 24
Wow, uhm, I don't know that natalie merchant's presence on the recording is an improvement. Margo's voice is enchanting.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Just picked a copy of this CD/DVD combo. Paid full retail which I hardly ever do and WOW am I glad I did.

For those that don't know this is a re-recorded session of the original Trinity session from the Church of the Trinity in Vancouver.

Anyway the DVD is awesome and you get to see the whole set without any fancy video production in the way. The coolest is that the band played in a circle facing each other. So the DVD lets you actually see the positions everyone sat at!

This CD is amazing, if you are a fan go get it now. If you aren't go get it anyway!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's Margo Timmins

Merchant is a sit in guest with the Timmins on this new 2007 release Trinity Sesson Revisited...
Wiki referance link:Trinity Revisited - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks kydsid, at the least you inspired me to spin the original just now, and perhaps to go retail too on this Revisited project, as I've collected most all of their recordings now
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: morphsci,Iwas just looking to chime in on the thread and had the original recording spinning and Wiki open, after having read kydsids thread...

Thnx for the second confirmation of the projects sound quality / BTW Bunny says "Eat Me Rascal!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, uhm, I don't know that natalie merchant's presence on the recording is an improvement. Margo's voice is enchanting.

Ouch!
frown.gif

Not that do or don't care for her but I didn't think that she was that bad

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 24
For those with Thanks to me you are welcome. Enjoy the music!

Yes Natalie is a quest along with several other artists.

I have the original also. Natalie does not take anything away merely puts the songs in another light not seen before. Margo and Natalie are excellent together.

As already said they re-recorded. They went back to the same church for another session.

Also, the CD and DVD were recorded at 96khz and 24 bit high resolution audio. Then converted to PCM and 5.1 for the DVD and stereo on the CD. I can't wait to hear the 5.1 from the DVD on a good surround sound.

But I have to say my goal is to find a copy of the orginal 96/24 recording. I can only imagine.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by auditude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch!
frown.gif

Not that do or don't care for her but I didn't think that she was that bad

Although Margo's voice is enchanting, Natalie's is simply different. I am a Natalie fan and love her voice.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 24
I am a long time fan of the 'Trinity Sessions". It is a one of a kind, never to be duplicated.
I will add I expected something entirely different. Maybe too high an expectation. I certainly won't be getting rid of my original one any time soon.

I found it very odd with Ryan Adams vocals. In fact overall, I wasn't too pleased with the vocals. The whole experience seemed to lack coherence.

I have to revisit several times. Maybe in will grow on me.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Wrong. It was recorded at the Church of the Holy Trinity in Toronto, not in Vancouver. The church is located just outside one of the entrances to The Eaton's Centre in downtown Toronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back