Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #2,851 of 5,310

The audiologist inserted the foam thingy really really deep, pretty much touching my eardrums, and it hurt like hell. And that might have been part of the problem - my ears could've been swollen from the insertion, causing an inaccurate impression.
The pre-fit service only helps with general fit. Just because it fits perfectly and is comfortable doesn't mean it seals perfectly. You need to hear music and try out the isolation to test the seal.

It shouldn't touch your ear drums, perhaps the audiologist you went was not a trained professional?

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,852 of 5,310
You shouldn't experience any pain when receiving an impression. Your audiologist should be told right away if you do.

Always choose a trained professional. They should examine your ears for swelling and other problems before beginning.

Pain should NEVER be part of the equation.

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,854 of 5,310
It didn't actually touch my eardrums, that was just an exaggeration. But trying to get anything that deep into your ear canal is very painful. She made the impressions deeper than they needed to be.

By the way, Phil just emailed me. Apparently someone emailed him telling him about my problem... how did he know it was me? Anyways, he said don't use nail polish as it will void your warranty and may interact chemically with the varnish that he used for the shells. @Steven maybe that explains your problem with the nail polish "melting?"

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,855 of 5,310
 Anyways, he said don't use nail polish as it will void your warranty and may interact chemically with the varnish that he used for the shells. @Steven maybe that explains your problem with the nail polish "melting?"

Perhaps but my shells were completely fine once I removed the nail polish. It may be that the layers were too thick or I was rushing between each layer since it was the only CIEM I had and I needed to use them.

I hope my BA4s come by the end of this week, they're currently at customs in New York.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,856 of 5,310
It didn't actually touch my eardrums, that was just an exaggeration. But trying to get anything that deep into your ear canal is very painful. She made the impressions deeper than they needed to be.

By the way, Phil just emailed me. Apparently someone emailed him telling him about my problem... how did he know it was me? Anyways, he said don't use nail polish as it will void your warranty and may interact chemically with the varnish that he used for the shells. @Steven maybe that explains your problem with the nail polish "melting?"

That's just the thing, it shouldn't be. If a cotton dam is being used just passed the bend in the canal, there sound be no pain at all. If you are feeling pain, then there is a problem. This is a fact. Either it's a problem with the dam, a problem with the way it is being inserted, or a problem with your ear canal. Regardless of the problem, you should not feel even the slightest pain. 

It's like using a Q-tip to clear your ear. You should feel ZERO pain. If you feel pain, something is wrong. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #2,858 of 5,310

Maybe after my email Phil contacted you. I wrote him an email that there are some not so good feedbacks on headfi about his CIEMs and since I've placed an order for BA4 I was a little bit concerned about my order.
Phil proposed me a prefit service if I'm afraid of the fit. But you write that good fit doesn't necessarily mean a good seal. Do you realy think so? My understanding is that in case of CIEMs the only factor determining good seal is good fit.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2,859 of 5,310
I've done the prefit service and experienced no problems initially.
But after I received my finished buds, my right earbud did not give me a complete perfect seal but only by a slight amount. Not sure if I want to go through the hassle of returning it for refinish :S

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #2,860 of 5,310
I've done the prefit service and experienced no problems initially.
But after I received my finished buds, my right earbud did not give me a complete perfect seal but only by a slight amount. Not sure if I want to go through the hassle of returning it for refinish :S

So, are you saying that good fit does not mean good seal with the finished CIEMs? That's strange for me. Then, what is the second factor determining a good seal (if good fit is not the only factor)?
Maybe the shape of your ear canal changed a little bit?

Dodes this slight lack of seal in the right earbud impacts heavily the SQ of your CIEMs?

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #2,861 of 5,310
So, are you saying that good fit does not mean good seal with the finished CIEMs? That's strange for me. Then, what is the second factor determining a good seal (if good fit is not the only factor)?

Dodes this slight lack of seal in the right earbud impacts heavily the SQ of your CIEMs?

Good seal is probably having a tight fit, while not necessarily a good fit.
I believe lack of seal will affect the sound quality and quantity.
Don't quote me though, it's just an opinion.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,862 of 5,310

The prefit fit well but I had no means of checking for isolation and sealing because they are after all empty shells. 

I can get a close to perfect seal on my right if I do some little twisting but the SQ is not heavily by much. This may vary for others depending on the actual seal.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,863 of 5,310
Good seal is probably having a tight fit, while not necessarily a good fit.
I believe lack of seal will affect the sound quality and quantity.
Don't quote me though, it's just an opinion.

But, my understanding is that if one says that he has good fit this means that he has also tight fit and the canal part of CIEM sits in the ear canal very good.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #2,864 of 5,310
But, my understanding is that if you one says that he has good fit this means that he has also tight fit and the canal part of CIEM sits in the ear canal very good.

Just as nokcha said, even if the fit is good, it's only a empty shell.
It won't tell you how good the isolation is until you put some drivers in and seal it.
Again, this is only my opinion (never had a CIEM before
tongue_smile.gif
)

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #2,865 of 5,310
I don't agree that a good fit can still result in a bad seal.

I find that my CIEM's fit slightly differently day to day.
I'm only talking very minor differences though.
Also, often when I first insert my CIEM's they feel fairly tight, but after walking for an hour or more they can be removed and re-inserted more easily ( this is independent of sweat btw, as I've sometimes used an 'ear lube like oto-ease right from the off ).

When I've not used the tightest of my CIEM's for a while, inserting them for the first time is slightly uncomfortable ( fine once in though ) but I feel my ear 'stretches' to accommodate the shell and it's OK after that.

I guess what I'm saying is that even though the fit may be comfortable, if the seal is bad then the fit by definition is also bad.
None of my CIEM's suffer from a bad seal that breaks.

I think the Sensaphonics website has a good guide to checking the quality of your CIEM seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back