Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
May 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,967 of 5,310
Well my package got there today.  Gone for an ma1 and a reshelled triplefi 10.  Had paid for rush but seems there's a holiday in Sweden thursday and friday.

Cheers

May 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,968 of 5,310
Quote:
Well my package got there today.  Gone for an ma1 and a reshelled triplefi 10.  Had paid for rush but seems there's a holiday in Sweden thursday and friday.

Cheers

If they don't fit you when they come back, can I suggest you just call a halt to things now and get an ear transplant instead 
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #1,969 of 5,310
Quote:

The BA2 is not unlike an HD650, generally speaking. It's got good bass but lacking somewhat in sub bass extension. It's got a smooth top end that is very free of fatigue. It's very much focused on rhythm and drive as opposed to sonic minutiae. The BA2 can't go as loud as the HD650 though - not that BA2 is limited in dynamics, but at some point the little twin driver runs out of steam. But you shouldn't be listening at such levels anyway. 

Quote:
Thanks for the input! If I would like deeper bass how would something like the HY3 or BA3 suit my desire for good non-recessed mids?

Looks like I'll be leaning towards HY3 then, as I hear the dynamic driver is capable of bottomless bass without any rolloff, despite being neutral in quantity. The BA3 will have greater bass quantity but I don't know about extension into the lowest registers. As far as I know nobody here has heard it.

May 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,970 of 5,310
Quote:

Looks like I'll be leaning towards HY3 then, as I hear the dynamic driver is capable of bottomless bass without any rolloff, despite being neutral in quantity. The BA3 will have greater bass quantity but I don't know about extension into the lowest registers. As far as I know nobody here has heard it.

Hmm, maybe I'll go for the HY3 then if its like the BA2 but with deeper bass!

May 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,971 of 5,310
Quote:

If they don't fit you when they come back, can I suggest you just call a halt to things now and get an ear transplant instead 
biggrin.gif

:)

Well the "good" news is that the shells I sent back were the adjusted ones.  They fit much much better and just needed a little cut off the length to make them more comfortable.  I could wear them without fiddling with them, it was just the length hitting the end of the canal making it a little sore.  I'm convinced that this time (ha!) is the charm.

Had an email from Phil earlier to say they'd tested my ma's and seemed it was ok after all.  Perhaps it was either a one off fault or intermittent.  Waiting to hear (ha!) back on that one.

Cheers

May 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #1,974 of 5,310
Quote:
Hmm, maybe I'll go for the HY3 then if its like the BA2 but with deeper bass!

Quote:
Quote:

Nine times out of 10, you are always going to get better bass extension with a dynamic driver than a BA, simply because of the difference in the driver technologies. Dynamics, on the whole, are capable of digging deeper than BA's. 

It all comes down to what you want out of the bass. If you want speed, and crispness of delivery, choose a BA driver for bass, if you want better bass extension but less speed, then choose a dynamic.

That said, the dynamic that CE use for the HY3 is plenty fast enough for me, and I don't have any issues with it at all.

Depends on your music that you listen to as well. If you listen to a lot of classical, or Jazz then you are probably better off with CE's BA based offerings. If you listen to a lot of bass orientated music like dubstep, hip-hop and some of the bass heavy sub-genres of EDM, and you might well be better off with one of CE's dynamic bass driver offerings. 

May 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #1,975 of 5,310
Quote:

Nine times out of 10, you are always going to get better bass extension with a dynamic driver than a BA, simply because of the difference in the driver technologies. Dynamics, on the whole, are capable of digging deeper than BA's. 

It all comes down to what you want out of the bass. If you want speed, and crispness of delivery, choose a BA driver for bass, if you want better bass extension but less speed, then choose a dynamic.

That said, the dynamic that CE use for the HY3 is plenty fast enough for me, and I don't have any issues with it at all.

Depends on your music that you listen to as well. If you listen to a lot of classical, or Jazz then you are probably better off with CE's BA based offerings. If you listen to a lot of bass orientated music like dubstep, hip-hop and some of the bass heavy sub-genres of EDM, and you might well be better off with one of CE's dynamic bass driver offerings. 

Thanks for the info! How do you find the mid-range on the HY3? Recessed, neutral or prominent? I find vocals to be the most important part of my music so I don't want them to be recessed...

It's a very difficult choice between the BA2, HY3 or even the BA3...

May 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,976 of 5,310
Quote:

Thanks for the info! How do you find the mid-range on the HY3? Recessed, neutral or prominent? I find vocals to be the most important part of my music so I don't want them to be recessed...

It's a very difficult choice between the BA2, HY3 or even the BA3...

If you ask me, the best is asking to CE, shoot an email and exlain what you are after, he will be happy to explain it to you.

May 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #1,977 of 5,310
Bear in mind though that apparantly they are on holiday thursday and friday in sweden so may not get a quick reply!

Cheers

May 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,980 of 5,310
There are many different cosmic ears! It is a little tricky to understand which one works better for my taste.
I currently own a Vsonic gr07 mkii that i found very bright and with thin bass. It's a very good on the technical side but a little boring, flat. The only way i can enjoy is to boost the bass about 6db and rolloff the treble on 7-8khz for the spike. So I like a solid bass let's say like the Sennheiser Amperior or px100ii (its more midbass) with a good treble nor harsh or sibilant. As I understand this CE are on the safe side for the treble so its a good news for me. Which model will have the bass i need?
I need to decide between:
HY2, HY2XB, XY3, XY3XB, BA3.

I mailed CE and they say the most bass quantity will be the XY2XB. I dunno if it this model will work for me.

Need Help!

Cheers:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back